Would you refund this cancellation?

i stick to my policy. multiple times the airbnb policies have fallen short of protecting me fairly, and have sided with guests in situations they shouldnt have (im experiencing one right now) so these instances kinda counterbalance the unfair losses hosts definitely have.

1 Like

No, no refund.

Typical Muddy, with her incessant need to be right

1 Like

Incessant need to be right? Because my opinion doesnā€™t align with yours?

Where did I say that hosts shouldnā€™t uphold their cancellation policy? Like many others, I said I would refund if I could rebook the dates. I didnā€™t say everyone else should.

Some of you seem to have missed reading the OPā€™s post. She asked for opinions and why.

1 Like

But that displaces Airbnbā€™s fault onto the cancelling guest. That seems more ethically skewed than keeping money.

2 Likes

I would refund the money. You got the money you were looking for and itā€™s a very good thing for your reputation, as well as just being a great human being.

1 Like

I can and do refund. For me, thereā€™s a social contract involved: Iā€™ll do the right thing, and you (the guest) do the right thing. Iā€™ve been hosting since 2015 and Iā€™ve never regretted bringing a spirit of abundance to the engagements I have with guests and potential guests.

3 Likes

If we are able to rebook then weā€™d offer a full refund.
Even during lockdowns airbnb asked us if we would agree to full refunds for guests that had to cancel through restrictions, which we always agreed to. If its not in the gift of the guest to stay, then we would always refund and yes I know we could get scammed by a dishonest guest. So far (4.5 years) weā€™ve only had one cancellation non covid, when a guest broke her ankle and couldnā€™t drive.

1 Like

I love this attitude.

Since I firmly believe I have no control over others and imperfect control of myself, my motivation to refund is focused solely on me. I just canā€™t feel good about profiting at someone elseā€™s expense when I provided nothing in return. And I donā€™t believe others learn a lesson about treating others a certain way by being punished with a financial penalty.
This is not how our system teaches us to think and I didnā€™t get to this point overnight.

6 Likes

I have a guest arriving today for 5 nights. Two days ago she messaged me late in the day asking if she could come a day early. I helped her figure out how to pay for it through Air.
After the reservation went through I message check in instructions and asked to hear back about arrival time. Crickets :cricket:
So, yesterday I scurried around cleaning the porch, the 16 steps up to the porch, the rental, adding coffee, half and half and a few bouquets.
Then, about 3pm I get a message that, ā€œplans changed, sheā€™ll be coming tomorrow (Tuesday)ā€. This woman is coming alone and the message was obviously sent by someone else.
Will I offer to refund for the unused night, absolutely not.

When I was an actual condo complex rental manager, our policy as stated was if you cancelled within 90 days of your arrival date you got a 50% refund, within 30 days, no refund unless the unit was rebooked. Then all was refunded minus a $100 administrative fee. These were winter monthly rentals, not weekly rentals. It was a good policy.

1 Like

Hereā€™s further information on the guest that couldnā€™t come yesterday.
Just messaged her and someone else replied, pinched nerve in her back and wonā€™t be able to climb the stairs to my rental.
Even if she cancelled the reservation, it would not be possible to rebook at this late stage.
Not having had this happen on arrival day and having a Firm cancellation policy, do I stay firm? Technically I know I should. Do I offer her days in the future that she doesnā€™t have to pay for?
Ethics concerns.

Youā€™re running a business. Itā€™s unfortunate what happened and Iā€™m sure youā€™ll provide her with all necessary documentation for her to make a claim on her travel insurance.

If you refund her, and as youā€™ve said, itā€™s unlikely you can rebook the room then you lose out through no fault of your own. By all means commiserate with her, but no refund so close to check in.

JF

3 Likes

I think about my own thought processes when I book something that I know is non-refundable. I look at the price, I look at the risk, and I decide whether I can afford to lose it if something changes.

I would not expect a refund. Iā€™d be happy to accept one if it were offered, but I would see it as the hostā€™s business decision, not their moral decision. Just like my choice to book something that I know is non-refundable was a business decision.

5 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
When I had a STR in AZ, once I had someone that had to cancel but maybe a week before arrival and I said if I could rebook Iā€™d be happy to refund the amount, but wasnā€™t able to rebook, people booked months in advance there.
The guest didnā€™t seem to have a problem not getting money back.
Now that itā€™s almost the 4th of July, I could maybe book a couple days, but donā€™t want to be the one suggesting she cancel.
Guess Iā€™ll cool my heels and see what transpires. The guest could show tomorrow, who knows.
@JohnF @mica555

1 Like

I understand this. Last minute accommodation to add night, pushed to clean & arrange then last minute change. You worked to meet her needs & short notice so canā€™t rebook.

If you do rebook, then up to you to decide if refund none, part or all of fees for rebooked nights.

1 Like

A little frustrated when I didnā€™t know what the problem was and having to go over things in the rental, flowers in, flowers out, coffee in, coffee out.
I know she canā€™t help what has happened to her and I am most sympathetic having had lower back issues for years, but not in a long time.

Extenuating circumstances refund policy could possibly complicate things.

If you proactively offer refund for rebooked nights, it may discourage her from using this option.

Please Let us know what happens

Fairly sure that isnā€™t covered by Airbnb EC policy now.

JF

I didnā€™t realize guest illness or death was no longer considered EC.

I have mixed feelings about this. Theyā€™ve also eliminated a host needing to cancel because of things like broken A/C, no water, area inaccessible because of flooding, etc.

Interesting they eliminated weather like coastal hurricanes because hurricane season risk is known.

I wonder if Airbnb is going to give guests a chance to buy low cost travel insurance which would be comparable to the STR property managers & I think VRBO.

My area STR management companies offer inexpensive ($59) travel insurance to cover all those things no longer considered EC by Airbnb.

Of course not, no way to rebook that night. Itā€™s a completely different situation than the OP is in.