Would you let upcoming guest know about surgery?

As mentioned in another post, I had leg surgery yesterday (my right leg is completely immobile, so I’m about as quick as a turtle right now). I thought I had my calendar sufficiently blocked, but wouldn’t you know it, a one night stay snuck in after my current 5 day stay. Of course, its a same day turnover, and the incoming guest is also a host.

I have convinced my SO to give me a hand in cleaning, so I’m fairly confident that between the two of us, we should be able to to a good job. But I worry that something may get missed. Would you let the guest know in advance the situation (hoping that, as a fellow host, she would understand and empathise)? Or just treat it like any other stay, and hope for the best?

Thanks!

1 Like

Why not, it’s an unforeseen situation. And I think it should be done along with the reassurance that you have the support of others and there should be no adverse impact on the guest’s stay.
And despite all that if something goes wrong, at least they know part of the background. If you mention it at that point, it might sound like an excuse?

Thanks @Astaire. I think I’ll do just that - let her know that I will have help, and it shouldn’t be a problem, but just in case…

1 Like

I wouldn’t. It may sound like an excuse to the guest to explain why something couldn’t be as perfect as they were expecting. When they arrive, they will see your condition so I think your personal health should not be mentioned in a business transaction. Luckily it is only one night.

5 Likes

As I say, different strokes for different hosts!

2 Likes

No I wouldn’t either. You don’t want to give them a reason to look for imperfections. They’ll soon figure it out when they see you in your cast anyway!

3 Likes

Ugh…this is why I posed the question here. I had both of these thoughts trying to decide if I should mention it or not…I’m still on the fence!! :thinking:

1 Like

Honestly, what bearing does this have on you providing a service in exchange for a fee.
If someone sent that to me I’d be thinking they are trying to guilt me into accepting less than I paid for.

3 Likes

We’ve given our reasoning for each scenario. Guess you have to go with which of them works for you in your own case.

1 Like

I see your point. I guess the scenario in my head was that I’d still be hobbling around trying to ready the flat when they arrived, and I didn’t want them to be caught off guard. And I’m making myself more stressed about it than I need to. I was the one caught off guard when the booking came in…but it will either be clean enough for them, or it won’t. My leg injury really has no bearing on their stay at all. I mean, they won’t have to help me up the stairs!! :grin:

1 Like

Yes, think of it like you booked a reservation at a restaurant, and the chef wrote back he had a broken wrist… what would you think?

2 Likes

Are you a live-in host? If so, I would mention it but not make a big deal of it. Last year I put my back out and it took me twice as long to get down the stairs to answer the door and I walked peculiarly (think 90 year-old with a poker up their backside). It wasn’t an issue but at least guests knew to wait patiently and not panic when the door wasn’t opened immediately. So yeah, I would definitely mention it. Also, if your injury is clearly visible I think it’s a good idea to inform guests. Nobody likes surprises when you’re checking in. If you inform ahead of time there will be no awkwardness and them wondering why you are walking like a turtle! IMO

3 Likes

I agree, mention it, but in the context of being slower in opening the door, not the place being less clean than usual.

3 Likes

Yes, absolutely. Don’t ever give guests a reason to complain!

3 Likes

Don’t mention it prior to arrival. If you are still cleaning (slowly) when they arrive, you’ll know immediately if they are good people or not: good people will say “Oh, my, let us help you with that and you sit down!”. Selfish people will turn their back on you.

Yesterday, I was cleaning a day after the guest arrived. He didn’t volunteer to help me, although he saw me wiping the floor. I didn’t expect him to, and I didn’t think of him as a bad person. I was simply doing my job.

1 Like

I’m not a live-in host, but I greet my guests 99% of the time. And it is clearly visible - my leg is wrapped from top to bottom. So he’ll definitely see something is going on. My SO will also be there (that never happens).

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all of your insight! I did decide to notify the guest, with emphasis on the SLOW (not that I may have missed something), and “please don’t be alarmed by the state of my leg” kinda thing. I got an odd reply - she said her husband is coming not her, not sure why he used my account, and now she’s getting all of these messages! And “Oh, I hope the leg feels better soon”.

Sigh…

1 Like

I had surgery this week and did not tell my guests ( live in ) it’s not his concern, the house was still clean, his bathroom cleaned regardless.

Hubby forgot to put fresh bread on the breakfast table for him on the day of my op, I made him a batch of home made scones yesterday and said sorry about the lack of bread the other day.

I like kona’s comparison, although understanding, you still want your nice meal. I made my decision based on the rapport with the guest, he was here 10 days already.

1 Like

Its funny you should use this analogy…20 or so years ago I owned a restaurant and I was also the cook. I had a football mishap one day, and separated my shoulder (lonnngggg story). It was a small cafe, and not being able to find anyone else that wanted to work my 5am shift on a Saturday, I’m the one back there slinging hash - with one arm (my dominant arm mind you) in a sling. Wouldn’t you know it, the local restaurant critic picks THAT day to come in and review my place. Her opening line for the review: “I knew it was going to be bad when the cook came out of the kitchen with her arm in a sling”. The review turned out to be not so bad - she loved the food, but hated the slow service (and the cranky cook). Ah, the good ole days…

4 Likes