Would you leave distilled water for guests?

Wise move. A Neti pot user caught brain eating amoebas from using city water.

1 Like

More than one! It makes sense really. (And eeeeeeek!).

1 Like

Yep, for the iron. However, we had a cleaner the other day because we were out of town and when we did the next clean, the bottle was filled to the top, so I think she put tap water in it. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I iron a lot in my upholstery work. I know it’s better to use distiled water, but I never do, and my tap water has a lot of calcium in it. But I’ve had the same iron now for 3 years, and it wasn’t even an expensive one. Most irons these days are self-cleaning, so I don’t think it’s as crucial as it used to be.

1 Like

Nope, People who need specialized products should bring them but I can understand if she has flying in and couldn’t bring it. I too have never received that request and I have hosted for 5 years.

1 Like

Because of this thread, I was thinking of adding some distilled water bottles to my ‘happy guest kit’ - an odd assortment of things that guests might ask for. But then I read that using ordinary tap water for a few days shouldn’t be a problem. But there are special CPAP water filters (Google says) so some hosts might consider that. but there are half a dozen locations locally to buy the water.

Although I’m pretty sure that no one has used an alarm clock for years, I bought lovely retro-styled battery-operated alarm clocks for our rentals - they fit in so well with the MCM building and decor.

I almost always find them put away in a closet somewhere - so many people don’t realise that in the old days, clocks actually used to TICK. :rofl:

4 Likes

That’s funny! My godfather repaired old cuckoo clocks and winding clocks. I can still hear the soft “tick tock” sounds in the otherwise quiet house.

As a kid I loves the cuckoo’s appearances at top of the house. It’s nostalgic for me. Love it!

2 Likes

As a CPAP user since 1999 I have never understood the need to use distilled water in the humidifier reservoir. That may be partly because of where we live. We can drink our water straight out of the tap and it is always clear.

For you poor non-cpap users who don’t enjoy the pleasure of having a sleep apnea machine pump air into your lungs as you sleep, the role of the water is to humidify the air. The water reservoir is heated to create water vapour, in other words distilled water.

The only reason that I can think of to use distilled water would be to limit mineral deposits in the bottom of the reservoir. I give mine a bit of a sluice every couple of years.

My machine uses about 250 mls a night (depending on ambient humidity). Have I got my physics wrong?

1 Like

Our son uses a VPAP machine. We usually empty the reservoir each night & refill with boiled water at night. It doesn’t take much to boil the jug during the day & put aside some water to cool for use later at night. We do it at home & would not expect a host to provide it. FYI - we live rurally in NZ and our water is “sky-juice” and just fine to drink as-is. No boiling or filtering.

1 Like

Nah, and I use a cpap machine. My rule is to provide for the 99%, not the 1%. Otherwise, your unit will be filled with crap and clutter, and your cleaning and maintenance will become that much harder.

4 Likes

Well, while that is certainly good advice I can tell you that there have been times when I have had to use tap water or even pop the lens in my mouth if I’ve been out somewhere and get something in my eye under the contact lens. It happens sometimes.

1 Like

Why would someone take that risk with their eyesight?

People who travel with cpap machines typically bring their own or by it before they arrive. But it’s a nice touch if you offer that. Not everyone uses a cpap machine.
We always leave bottled water for guests, just not distilled water.
I personally would not rely on distilled water if it were transferred into another smaller bottle.
Only if it was in a sealed, unopened container.

Because if the alternative is being out somewhere with a piece of dirt or sand stuck under your lens, scraping your cornea every time you blink, no contact lens solution anywhere at hand, it’s the lesser of 2 evils.

Believe me, neither tapwater nor saliva cushions the lens in one’s eye like the solutions do, so it’s not very comfortable for the first minute,- not anything one would do except in an emergency.

I used to wear contacts, both hard in the old days and soft/disposable later. I’d toss the contact. It’s surprising how well you can see with one contact, especially “in an emergency.” I definitely wouldn’t put spit in an eye with a scratched cornea and in a pandemic, definitely not. BTW, I had an abrasion on my cornea back in the 80s and at that point it was the worst pain I’d ever experienced.

Nice to have on hand if someone is need and asks if you happen to have… but I wouldn’t have it in the Airbnb for every guest.

I provide lots of items for guests but in this case I believe that is the responsibility of the guest to bring whatever personal products they need beyond the basics of soap, shampoo etc.

they sure are. And so are those light switches that have lights on them. We’ve stayed in an airbnb where we stuck cardboard over the lightswitches so we could sleep at night
!

1 Like

This is an old topic but I’d really like to throw in my 2 cents.

As a host, I provide distilled water. I live in a very hard water area. I have it to use in the iron in the AirBnB and I keep it where guests can see and use it if they need it. It’s kept in the bedroom closets along with the iron. It’s labeled with a large label—distilled water for use in iron and CPAP machines. Distilled water is cheap in the US—less than $2 a gallon everywhere I’ve bought it. Our local Kroger sells it for $1.19—$1.29 a gallon.

I am a CPAP user myself. Because of our very hard water, I have to use distilled water in the CPAP humidifier tank.

I traveled in Ireland for 15 days last month. Naturally, because of the rules about liquids and airline flights, I couldn’t take enough water to fill the tank for even one night. It took me FIVE days to locate distilled water there (they sell it in pharmacies) and the pharmacy where I finally found it kept it behind the pharmacist’s counter…and they had only ONE bottle.

If you are a host that doesn’t have a Walmart or large chain grocery store within a 10 minute drive, especially if your guests typically fly to your location, please do your guests a favor and have some distilled water on hand in the AirBnB.

They are instructions for making your own with ice and a double broiler available on the internet. I tried that in Ireland but didn’t have enough ice or the right pans so I couldn’t make it work.

It’s a super cheap amenity and some poor guest will thank you for having it available.

5 Likes

I’ve never used distilled water. Though I do steam iron my STR pillow cases, it is with a hot iron combined with a sprayer with tap water in it. Though I do have a high end iron, (Rowenta, 1st one retail, 2nd one 5$ rummage sale) it is the second one. I remember getting that brand new one and having it mess on my Duchesse silk wedding gown… argh… it didn’t have time to get baddies inside due to tap water fill!

I think people who need distilled water will bring it, or, I’ll get it for them if they need it and say so when I ask guests if there is anything we can do to make there stay here more memorable.