Would you host this guest?

So I received a text from a client today, I sold her the cabin she which he has sense listed on AirBnb she says she has hosted a room in her house for many years so not a new host…

She asked me if I had a vacancy, she had a guest who was really unhappy with her place. I asked her what he was unhappy about and she copied his text to her, here is is…

I made it in and connected the wifi. You mentioned the lack of outdoor furniture which is unfortunate given the lovely spring weather. But I find it very odd that there is so little other furniture or lighting. It’s not a comfortable place to hang out. Also the state of the kitchen is abysmal. Virtually everything is worn out, mismatched or chipped. It’s bizarre that a newly set up Airbnb would offer such items. The place is super cute and I love the vintage kitchen but trying to chop veggies with any of those knives is a joke. Not to mention the “TV”
I’ve stayed in lots of vacation rentals and I don’t have the expectation of gourmet tools and the best or brand new items but it’s all very surprising. I’d make a fire but there are no fire tools. With COVID, eating out is a challenge so helping guests cook seems customary. Also providing the wrong coffee filters was another early morning frustration. The place is very clean but not really equipped for basic use. I’m very disappointed.

She offered him a refund and sent him a link to my direct book website, so no review to worry about on my end.

I accepted, heads in beds and all. I think he had legit complaints and he will have a better experience with me.

I would not have allowed him to book with Air under the circumstances though, I would not risk the possible review if he is just a grumpy guest.

We shall see

What would you have done?

RR

2 Likes

I would have asked this host if what the guest has said is true, and looked at her listing to see if he was expecting things, like adequate kitchen gear, that weren’t offered in the listing.

If he paid rock bottom price, then he probably should have been prepared to bring or buy his own good knives and other things he needs.

His writing doesn’t give me the sense that he is a complainer by nature- it isn’t a rant, it sounds like legitimate reasons to be unhappy. He does say it’s super cute, but if she doesn’t provide adequate lighting and the wrong size coffee filters, that’s just lazy hosting.

I mean, what does it take to provide a chair and a small side table outside?

Sounds to me like the host is just a cheapskate, or she charges a really cheap price and therefore provides only the bare minimum.

So I would have accepted the guest after doing a bit of sleuthing if I determined the host just doesn’t “get it”.

7 Likes

My first instinct was “no thanks”, as they sound somewhat demanding, and perhaps didn’t bother to view the photos or read the listing?
But if it becomes a direct booking that would otherwise be a vacancy then it seems a reasonable compromise with no worries over Air review bs and fulfills “heads in beds”.

2 Likes

I also would have asked about the validity of the complaint. I love a thrift shop… but don’t buy chipped or worn out things for the listing. It sounds a bit bare bones.

2 Likes

Even bare bones doesn’t have to have chipped and worn stuff. And shouldn’t if you’re charging people to stay. If it’s just couch surfing, guests can’t be fussy.

If it’s a really cheap place for someone who just needs a bed and a shower for a night or two, there’s nothing wrong with bare bones, but if the host is going to take longer term bookings, she needs to advise the guests of what they might need to provide themselves or up her price and her amenities.

2 Likes

Her place is 150 a night and I presume has a cleaning fee, mine is 195 a night no cleaning fee.

She intends to, but there was snow on the deck last week.

I like the host, she is a very nice person with a hippy vibe. I hope she gets it together.

RR

1 Like

So the guest was refunded 100%, referred to my listing which was unavailable otherwise (I do not accept same day bookings)

Does the host deserve a bad review? Or should he write out the issues and deduct a star, 2 stars?

I will be watching the listing to see how it shakes out.

RR

So was mine, and I would not have allowed anything other than a direct booking. After some thought and re reading his message I came to the determination that his complaints were legitimate and that he would not have issues in my place. My spouse was like NO! Lol, heads in beds I said.

RR

1 Like

Yes, I would take the booking.

I have some happy hippy friends and I know how their houses are outfitted. I wouldn’t trust one to run an Airbnb unless they market it as “boho, vintage, retro thrift shop paradise.”

5 Likes

I got a good giggle at this response. I say provide sharp knives if you offer cooking. Who wants guests showing up with chopping knives?
Getting the outdoor furniture out doesn’t sound like it should take a week?
I I probably would not have room for a last minute booking. I am fully booked now til third week in Sept. Rocking a 9.96 rating!

I remember reading a travel blog about 2 years ago that suggested bringing sharp knives to your short-term rental because it’s so common that knives in STRs are cheap and dull. I was wondering how the author thought it could be practical for people to bring kitchen knives with them when they travel.

2 Likes

Years ago, we had a group of 8 (4 couples) who traveled & rented vacation homes together. Our standard was to bring sharp paring knife & chef knife, large non-stick sauté pan, large seafood steamer pot, & baking sheet, cutting board, plus spices we liked because after the first rental we found those things were unpredictable.

I think because of that experience I put a little extra effort to have those items available.

This is what can happen when you are a remote host, she lives a couple of hours away.

RR

Yes, I would be happy to host this person. But there would be a chat during the masked-distanced house tour about expectations.

And because I’m onsite, I’d say to the guest, as I do to everyone, ‘knock on my door if you need anything’.

Update, so the guest checked out a day early. He said something came up for work. Nice outcome for me.

RR

2 Likes

When my daughter and son-in-law came to visit last year, he brought his favorite kitchen knife, as well as the small coffee maker he likes to use. They flew and he packed them in the checked bag.