Would you give a bad review for poor communication?

There is nothing wrong with texting them. I’d rather get a text than an airbnb message if I don’t have wi-fi. I also message via the Air system so there is always a record. I’ve had a few people who don’t answer messages. I hope they won’t show up and I’ll get to keep their money but they always show up and are fine. Why are contemplating a bad review for a stay that hasn’t even started? You can mark her down on stars for communication.

I wasn’t contemplating a poor review in this case (I was just reading up on this thread someone else had posted), but was just wondering if other people have had experiences with people who communicate the barest minimum (in this case, not acknowledging that they’re good to go).

Oh, ok. I saw “similar situation” and didn’t read the whole thread again. I prefer a little more communication but there are many reasons why people don’t answer messages and I advise trying not to worry too much in advance. All things considered I’d rather have someone who doesn’t communicate than someone who does so too much.

1 Like

I see this thread is a year old, so clearly the OP has done whatever he or she was going to do. But I thought I’d comment anyway.

OP’s guests most certainly deserved to be marked down on communication stars. Looks to me like they could communicate just fine when THEY wanted something. When it was the other way around, radio silence, leaving the host wondering. That behavior is just very, very rude.

This, and the talk here about guests not communicating about check in time, reminds me of the thread about the 2 things you wish you knew before you started hosting. For me, one of them would be that many guests only communicate when it suits THEIR needs.

I send guests a message the morning before arrival with info including check in time, and a note that I’ll send another message the next morning asking for an approximate check in time. The next morning, I send that message. It says that I know travel can be unpredictable, so I’m only asking for a ballpark in terms of arrival time. 80% don’t bother to even acknowledge either message and I find it infuriating. I don’t care when they want to show up, but I do care to know approximately when that will be. It makes it much, much easier to plan my day if I have some idea. But most of the time I wait at home, not being able to leave to do anything, until my guests decide to show up.

Occasionally, they will have a good excuse that I actually believe, but more often they breeze in with vague apologies. No answer to either of my messages and no good excuse? 3 Communication stars for you and a mention of it in your review.

1 Like

Yes exactly to everything, I never knew there are this many self-centred people. But i tend not to mention this in the review, just something very simple like ‘nice and clean’. I think i should start adding it just for my fellow hosts.