Would you book to this person?

So the guest arrived, kept to himself, and was just fine. He was like someone’s rumpled drug-using teenage son exploring his “Beck” phase… He had a great smile and was tall, goofy and young. He also told me he’d written “Fuckoff” because he had gotten frustrated with the Facebook/AirBNB verification process. Sure, he was a little smelly and he obviously spent his time here going out with friends and drinking, and I had to make him get up and out when check-out time rolled around, but he apologized and left quickly. He even brought his own towel so cleaning his room was a breeze.

3 Likes

ya just never can tell… hosting is such an adventure!

I get so many guests who say “How can you do this as a single woman” – so I guess I’m always on orange alert against the possibility of being assaulted.

I ask for over 25. Although I am pretty sure under 25 have booked without me knowing. I also write “I’m only interested in hosting guests who are quiet and do not party, as this is a very quiet area. If you intend to party hard, please skip me. :)” Don’t be afraid to ask for the kind of guest you want.

I once felt very intolerant of smokers, but then had one chap ask me very politely if he could smoke outdoors (I have a private patio for guests) because it was his holiday and promised he would make sure I didn’t get a single whiff of smoke bothering me. I realized being really zero tolerance could cost me bookings, so now I say" No Smoking, but courteous outdoor smokers MAY be allowed but ONLY if we have first discussed the easy ground rules (away from the house, collect your ashes in a container with lid, dispose of immediately, etc.)." I’ve never had a problem… although quite recently, someone who hadn’t asked me previously asked if he could smoke and promised to be discrete and he was.

In Korea and Japan we were amused to see boxes on the street with closed windows for the smokers to kill themselves in. Looks like a slow form of torture to me. Don’t get that many requests for outdoor smokers, but when they did they were courteous.