Would appreciate input on if location clarification is needed after false review. And wording!

Maybe add your insurance requirement to your “overview” or “guest access” sections. I just read through and you mention exploring to their hearts content and that they can join you on the farm. Putting that you must accompany around animals and creek for insurance purposes would make it more upfront. Your listing is quite wordy so I havent even gotten to the house rules bit but really dont want to keep reading. It all sounds lovely and quiet and the best place for a retreat

I was going to say the same. You have 5 stars with 104 reviews - that is no easy feat! As much as this might frustrate you, I might just let it go and know that you’re going to get a ton more great reviews (as is evidenced by your history) and this one will quickly get drowned out.

1 Like

Thank you Melissa! It helps to have the logic come from someone else, even tho I know it to be true.
I have all the things these folks did not only listed in my listing (house rules) but also on a sheet in the cabin, PLUS I verbally go over them, and emphasize the insurance angle. have not had any problems from any others.
I’m sure that cancellation was a coincidence in timing after that stupid review was posted. I will, however, be willing in the future to address a comment specifically if it is blatantly false and not just an ‘opinion’ on the part of a guest…while still keeping my response short and sweet. maybe semi sweet, lol…
Now I’m trying to get the 3 guests who came after to write a review so this one can be buried quickly!! Sometimes like pulling teeth and they all had a pleasant stay, according to them…Time will tell.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I doubt that many people only read the first review and make a decision. I personally peruse comments for patterns. If everyone says “the bed was uncomfortable” that’s different than only 1 person saying it. Best of luck to you and your beautiful cottage :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think you need to invest in a drone photo. I use google aerial maps on my page. Why don’t you google your address and have a look. You can see your property from the air, then zoom in to the degree that you want and then take a screen shot. You can even mark up the map with arrows and texts if you need to indicate/point out something.

How did you see the property @MtnGal? Is there a link?

There are posts about how to find the listing earlier in this thread.

1 Like

Just want to add another “don’t worry!” voice here. As others have said, that review stands out like a sore thumb. Personally, I don’t think your response was too short and came across well to me. There is nothing worse than seeing a long angry/passive aggressive response from a host. That is FAR more off-putting than one outlier review.

If you really want some feedback on the listing… I would suggest toning down the description a bit. It’s very long and quite hyperbolic in places. The photos speak for themselves - you don’t need to over-sell it! It’s beautiful. And maybe tone down the references to ‘seclusion’ and ‘privacy’ and just focus on the facts that it is a beautiful place of nature.

Finally, I’m sure you’re right that the cancellation was simply a coincidence. FWIW I recently had a review that said the house smelled of cat piss :cold_sweat: But I’ve had two bookings since then and a 5* review. It’s a fine line between second-guessing and taking on board guest comments… but we have to tread it!

3 Likes