Worst review ever and...I found the silver lining

If it makes you feel any better, my cleaner texted me the next morning: “OMG!!! The HAIR!!!”

Long, black and plenty of it - everywhere.

2 Likes

You don’t get many foreign guests? Their review will show up at the top for any future guests who speak that language.
If there was something negative in the review you could correct it if it wasn’t factual, to allay the fears of future guests.

1 Like

Nope, 92% US tourists. And as I said, the review wasn’t bad, just the stars. The worst thing she said was it was a little far from the city center (which is stated in the listing title!), and that it was suitable for four guests (we have a queen air mattress, usually it’s kids or young adults who sleep on it). So, no, I’m not leaving a response.

1 Like

Does Airbnb actually do that? In all my years of hosting I think I’ve only called them twice and although they’ve been very helpful, I wouldn’t have thought that the reps are the brightest buttons in the box. They speak Mandarin?

How can a guest change a rating that was already given?

4 Likes

I could say that almost after every guest, but yeah, some do shed more than others. I also have cats (in the house I live) so to solve all hair problems I bought the Dyson animal vacuum cleaner. 30 min later the house is spotless.

Welcome to my world.

JF

I have a Dyson vacuum cleaner, which probably contributed mightily to my current guests replying to my morning-after-check-in email that the apartments were ”spotless” and “perfect.”

They can. They can even take their review down

my most recent Mandarain review was 4’s across the board, which always annoys me, 4, 4, 4, 4, and in the comments just one word that translates as ‘well’. I think it was the “well” that made it one of my favourite reviews.

4 Likes

Was it “Well!”:grinning: or “weeelll …”:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

We’ll never blimmin’ know!
But I might risk a fiver on the former

I always send a farewell message detailing how I would like guests to leave the property. It also includes: “Please leave a review on Airbnb. I hope you can rate it a 5-star. If it wasn’t a 5-star for you, please help me improve the experience for future guests by letting me know what would have made it a 5-star for you.”

I rarely get less than 5 stars.

3 Likes

Yana I didn’t realise a guest can change their review?!! Is there a time period ?

1 Like

I dont know. One guests kept on extending with me …he stayed overall for 3 weeks . In a begining he left me very good review and then at the end he started doing all kind of things ( long story)…so I told him i have another reservation and he left. As soon as he left I blocked him and I think he was trying to book me again and realized I blocked him .
So he removed his good review. He couldn’t leave me new review though.
May be it’s easier just to ask your guest to remove it

How is this even possible unless they told you what they gave you before you published yours?

How??? .……………

It’s not possible. You can neither edit nor remove your review once it has posted as a general rule. You might get some assistance from certain CS agents in select circumstances. What has mostly been reported here is that once a review is posted it stands. I got a glowing review from a guest who gave me one star. She told me that she called Airbnb to change it and they wouldn’t. I have no way of verifying her call. Even at 530 reviews it still irks me to have a one star I didn’t earn. My 3 star was fair. My scattered 4 stars don’t bother me much.

I’d love for Airbnb to say we could delete one review a year if we hosted at least 10 trips that year. It would encourage hosts to book on platform, reduce calls to customer service and it would help reduce the retaliatory review problem.

5 Likes

Why they had to tell me before I posted mine?
I posted mine and then I saw theirs . I would never contact them if their review matched stars. One guy even gave me 1* but put very good review and I understood he made a mistake. When I asked him, he confirmed he made mistake . And he changed it . Same was with another couple .
I don’t know how it’s possible …I know it’s possible because it happened with my reviews few times. 2 guests changed their rating and one completely removed . I received message from Air: your guest Andrew withdrew his review . I don’t know how they did it …may be they called Airbnb and got help from.there …
It was long time ago but as I remember I called Air and ask them if a guest can change his review. And as I remember they told me to ask guest to contact them.
Once I left bad review for a guest who broke my lamp and damaged wall and left without even saying anything. He emailed me asking if I can reconsider and remove this review. It sounded like it was an automated message .

I think instead of relying on my words may be OP can call Airbnb and ask herself and then let us all know for sure . I would do myself but I am out of country and its expensive to call

1 Like

What drives me crazy is that, in the past, both 4 and 5 were considered good and a 3 was neutral. Suddenly, it seems as if we have to have all 5’s – and people look for all 5’s. I don’t know, seems sort of unrealistic to me and I find it annoying that we are pinned underneath this archaic system. Happens in my online biz too, though, so I guess it is the way things are now.