Wording for adding security cameras?

We’ve had exterior cameras for many years. We use a local propert manager who handles internet rental platforms for our property. He is aware of cameras but has not included anything on any of the rental platforms. Therefore we have signage in plain view outside as well as signage inside. The sign inside reads much like what others have noted in their reply to you.

I would be cautious about not disclosing it prior to arrival, however. In many places it is illegal not to disclose, and I believe it MUST be disclosed on Airbnb listings.

This is from Airbnb:

What we do allow

• Disclosed devices monitoring only public spaces and common spaces: Devices that allow for viewing or monitoring of only a public space (ex: a front door or a driveway) or a common space that are clearly identified and disclosed ahead of a reservation are permitted. Common spaces do not include sleeping areas or bathrooms.

What we don’t allow

• Concealed and undisclosed devices monitoring common spaces: Any device monitoring a common space should be installed in a visible manner and disclosed in the listing description.
  • Devices located in or monitoring private spaces: Devices should never monitor private spaces (ex: bedrooms, bathrooms, or common areas that are being used as sleeping areas, like a living room with a sofa bed). Disconnected devices are allowed as long as they are turned off and proactively disclosed to guests.

just to update this, not sure when it happened (sometime in the last month?) but now there are 4 checkboxes you have to tick off confirming the cameras aren’t inside etc etc.
According to some host stories i’ve read if you don’t have the location and direction of the cameras disclosed you can be shut down. We have 24 cameras on our farm. The box to write a description of the cameras is 400 characters long. I’ve done my best to list the most relevant cameras to each listing (guests staying in our cottage really shouldn’t be wandering up and inside our garage).

If it isn’t disclosed in the listing info and a guest reports this, Airbnb will likely boot you off the platform. They suspend listings anytime a guest makes a complaint about cameras, even if the host has mentioned them in the listing. They suspend first, then they might take a week or more to actually confirm that the host has indeed disclosed them in the listing info. If they see you haven’t disclosed them at all, you are likely to be delisted entirely. That you have multiple signs at the property itself won’t mean a thing to Airbnb.

It’s your property and the manager works for you. You need to insist that he disclose them in the listing info.

1 Like

Not sure they would cancel you permanently…ABB seems very guest focused.

I used to write a newsletter for hotels. Don’t forget that every hotel has hidden cameras everywhere, and I do mean everywhere, except in your room (let us hope). Hotels don’t disclose this and I wouldn’t know if I hadn’t worked on that newsletter.

I disclose my one camera and I explain in my Guide Book that crime went up in our town during the pandemic (and it really did). I then offer to remove it but state that I do not recommend this. I would never mention anything about rule compliance in this disclosure, that’s too inhospitable.