Will Airbnb become obsolete?

@Alia_Gee,

I am so glad to hear your voice back at the forum.

There are too many old friends that I, for one, want to hear from. The hard core of members still posting here have been a rock of support, particularly for people who are isolating alone.

What you describe in NYC is utterly chilling, and I think you are right in saying this will go on much longer that is being anticipated.

2 Likes

I doubt it. My friend wouldn’t have gone to the papers; she hasn’t had the emotional bandwidth.

The grandmother probably died at the nursing home, but they called an ambulance on the off chance they could do something. She got lost because the ER refused to accept a dead body. Ehen my friend’s family contacted the nursing home and were told she went to the ER, they said We have no record of her…

My friend finally found her in the morgue. Somewhere between the nursing home and the morgue, the grandmother’s bracelet with her next of kin on it got lost, so the morgue was actually really happy my friend called them, they’d been trying to find someone to claim the body.

It’s all sad.

My friend told me before she told some of her family, and she begged me not to leave the house. She said she couldn’t bear to lose anyone else she loved.

The hardest part about staying inside is it feels like cowardice. Ugh.

1 Like

I missed you guys, too. :slight_smile:

We have taken both our listings down for the foreseeable future, so it hasn’t felt right to post.

Even before Covid, the oldest kid needed his own room.

We had started a grand renovation plan, creating a space in our basement my sister could live in, and maybe airbnb when she didn’t need it. We even had surveyors take measurements to prove to the city that what we wanted to do was legal and safe. By the time we got the evidence we needed, though, the city was locked down.

I’m disappointed, but I’m grateful that we hadn’t started the work… since it involved digging out the front yard and removing a large chunk of wall… awkward if the city had shut down halfway through construction, with the front of our house ripped out. Whee!

These are unprecedented times, and I think an old timer should be welcomed back, listing or no listing. You have something very valuable to add to the Support Pot, in which we have all been sharing thoughts, feelings and experiences on a global level.

Please ditch your feelings of cowardice though; these are not warranted for social distancing in any measure. The cowards are those who don’t/won’t listen, go out and put themselves and others at risk. Those who are staying inside are taking positive action to combat this virus.

I would rather hear your voice than those of people who joined the forum more recently, just to rant about how much money their big “businesses” were losing, with little or no comprehension of what is happening.

4 Likes

I made a facebook post in early March announcing to my friends that I’m not afraid, I have TP and lentils and my doors are open to all. And I’m not really afraid in the way I think some people are. This is a time that calls for a new kind of courage. We have all been conditioned to believe brave means going out and confronting. Grab your gun (fake bravery) and go kill someone. The quiet ideas of Jesus, Ghandi, King and countless others that brave can mean not confronting: Don’t ride the bus, make your own salt. Brave means not hitting back. Moral means giving your coat when they ask for your shirt. But it doesn’t mean quiet or meek.

Speaking up for what’s right (as I know you do) is one of the bravest things one can do at times (e.g., letter from Birmingham Jail) And one of the smartest things we can do to help others is not get sick. New York should be peaking soon, getting some herd immunity and the worst should be over for you sooner than many other places.

A friend of mine that I’ve known since high school passed early yesterday morning. Not covid, he had multiple heath problems and it was probably heart failure. Of course covid could be a contributing factor if he was having any trouble and didn’t go to the doc. It’s a terrible time for any family as there can be no normal rituals and visting and so on.

I understand how you feel but remaining safe inside is the very best and maybe hardest thing you’ll have to do during this crisis.

I concur with Joan that your posts are always welcome. Keep in mind that we don’t even know who many members really are. They may not even be hosts. And just because you aren’t currently hosting doesn’t mean you won’t be in the future. This is the best place to keep up with Airbnb changes and there are going to be plenty of those going forward.

5 Likes