WiFi related question

So if you currently change the password for your guest wifi network for each new guest, this scheme wouldn’t be an option correct? Have you considered a way to limit the amount of bandwidth available to former guests, so that hosts don’t overuse their capacity and incur new expenses? What mechanism do you employ to not be creating a network of all the devices currently connected to the wifi? I have been shocked by the shear number of guests who have NO password protection on their machines. I see them in my network panels, and can actually get into their machines. [That is why I set up a second access point for guests. Didn’t want to risk being accused of accessing their machines.]

1 Like

If you want to change your wifi password, yes you can, but you would change it on both your end, and ‘our’ end via an online portal.

We cannot change anything outside of your current setup. So if you employ some networking know-how, so be it - as long as the wifi password is set as we need it…

We don’t plan to control how people run their AirBnB wifi…

Well, please post a link when you are out of stealth mode.

LOL ok, will be sure to! We will be looking for early adopters so if you like, you can be one of them! :slight_smile:

My non-techy mind cannot follow what you are proposing. I have no idea how I would help a guest to get unlimited wifi during their travels. I cannot get unlimited internet through my provider.

But to answer your question…no I do not know how to change my wifi password. I would need to google “how to change my wifi password” - so if my guest changed the password and caused issues for next guest…that first guest will get a bad review. Guests should not be messing around with electronics, etc. in the home. Was that even your question?

Yes

Yes, but I do not need to

I provide a hotspot based Wifi service.
Guests get a voucher with a code for the duration of their stay.

The advantage is that I can kick guests from my network if they do stuff that lowers the availability of the network for other guests.

What research do you have that backs up your statement that guests will go elsewhere if hosts don’t offer them unlimited use of wifi in their city or town

This assumes:

1. Guests will know about your product (comes with a huge price tag).
  2. Guests will read about that in a listing and make a decision on this basis (they hardly read).
  3. Hosts would be interested in delivering value before or after the guest’s stay (for something that might incur them expenses and security issues anyway).

That’s challenging.

Hosts would be interested in some kind of device to manage Wi-Fi remotely and securely, and monitor the Internet usage (especially in some countries where “free WiFi” is basically calling for legal troubles). From what I understand of your service, the idea is to create FON.

1. Of course
  2. Of course
  3. Why

Our Pwd has been the same for 10 years…

Sounds like a good idea.
If it were to spread it would be a great idea.

Like you have noticed, issue is whether it’ll be a problem for people to change their details.

Perhaps the challenge is that the nature of your question likely attracts people who are very knowledgeable and hence I see talk of “RADIUS” servers which I have no clue about (and I do have some basic techie knowledge) lol.

Perhaps best way to test is to actually get a random sampling of people, at a physical site, and then take them through what woukd be required and then let them give you their feedback. Doing it via an airbnb board may not work, and it’s not really an airbnb specific product anyway!

But it would be a great idea if it took off! So don’t listen to all of us haters :smile: keep at it, and do the market tests, there is no shortcut.

The worst that can happen is that you’ll fail! :slight_smile:

We are also giving them beds to sleep in and toilets to – in. Should we figure out how to provide this when they leave? Nope. I wish folks who are looking to make money from air hosts would at least be polite and open. This is one of the least attractive “offers” I’ve seen so far. There are many ways for people to get wifi, stop reinventing the wheel.

2 Likes

@Louise … No one offered you anything. Why you wouldn’t allow people to use their credentials on other wifi access points free of charge and without charge to you is beyond me. I can only imagine you have the same problem as the few others who already derailed this topic.

@AquaticQuests Thank you for your encouraging words. I am not sure the way I went about explaining (or not explaining) what this idea is about was the best thing for the topic. I never figured people would be so jumpy about explaining how they deal with their wifi.

… having looked at a few other topics… it appears people are more into shutting other people down than exchanging ideas… Thanks to everyone who gave constructive feedback in any case.

Your explanation lacked clarity. Your initial post was less than open. We are busy people and don’t appreciate wasting time on people with poorly articulated proposals that appear to be asking us to take on more work with no particular benefit for our guests or ourselves. There is no lack of places to get wifi. When you can clearly explain your proposal, please come back. We are a supportive community however we aren’t here (my opinion) to hold the hand of every new person who is trying to make money on Airnb and finds any negative responses to be shutting down vs the reality that the proposal has limited appeal or functionality.

4 Likes

Now, that is new information. You are envisioning a network of access points, all of whom share credentials?

And I certainly hope you were not including me in the “derailed” this topic group. I spent quite a bit of time trying to visualize your proposed scheme, and was unable due to my own shortcomings. But now I see that you still had not included all the details that would allow this.

@markeckert - the issue is that you initially posted with no background context about why you are asking but just asked three questions.

As hosts we have a number of people like you looking to make money by offering BNB related services who come on here asking us questions to help them shape their business offer/trying to sell us services.

This is primarily a forum for hosts to discuss issues with each other, rather than a free source of market research for yourself and others.

If you want people to help you for free then, be up front and honest. Let people know that you want to develop a service and need their input to see if it is feasible/help ensure it is fit for purpose. Incentivise people to participate.

Understand your marketplace. Myself and many other hosts live in major cities where there is city wide free wifi hotspots, so the service you are looking at is irrelevant.

Don’t get narky when hosts question/ask for clarification.

Don’t make wild claims that you can’t substantiate such as saying that visitors will go elsewhere if a host doesn’t provide this service.

4 Likes

I’m happy for these threads and helping people with their ideas. We need innovation, and we need people to take a leap with an idea.

My husband is a techie so I leave the wifi to him. However, as I understand it, I think Google already offers a similar product in the US called Fi.

Im confused and don’t really see a need for this app or service. I offer my guests free wifi and am able to change the p/w quite conveniently and easily. It’s not technical. Most web providers can send you a link to instructions on how to do this yourself, just ask.

1 Like

By the way I got a “max # of devices” and realized even changing passwords I have to go through and manually remove every device ever connected…which is not at all easy from my provider’s website. Heads up!

??
Strange situation.
What do you mean by “max # of devices”?

If a system is setup properly it should forget the devices after a certain amount of time.

I have searched. I had 20 guests since July, the majority chose to keep their own plan, as many were either international visitors on some roaming plan and others locals here at the University for an MCAT or LSAT that weren’t hanging around.

I don’t really want to call the provider support desk and point this out. I solved my issue, I am merely trying to bring this to peoples’ attention that this is a thing to look out for.