Why in Northern Italy US guests set AC at 16 ° C = 32 F° in summer and use winter duvets?

Yes, but they also tell us that we shouldn’t drink wine and that we should take regular exercise and all sorts of other stuff. 18 degrees is in the lower sixties!

I wish they would be properly metric. They might understand life better.They still do feet and inches, even.

Yep 18 degrees probably is the lower sixties F but sleep is a mini hibernation so that’s why it’s recommended. Also the hot bath thing is so you can cool down afterwards. You can have covers and clothes on. Snuggly
Exercise? My dog knows best and sleeps at least 10 hours. She drags me out in January when nothing else would. Wine? Gets you to sleep but wakes you up at 4am for a pee or because it wears off.

1 Like

I have to admit that that is so very true. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This happens in the USA as well. Guests set the temperature on the A/C very low, then feel cold and rummage for the stored duvet covers. They check out leaving the A/C running at 18c and the bed piled high with blankets and covers. I’m not sure if it’s an option for you in Italy, but the Nest thermostat has been the answer for me. I can set a minimum and maximum temperature range, and I invite guests to contact me if they would like the temperature adjusted outside of the range. But they can’t adjust it themselves. The other option, already presented, is to only offer lightweight covers and hope that when they get too cold they’ll adjust the A/C unit to a more reasonable temperature.

2 Likes

That sounds immensely practical and fair. I have wondered about the advantages of a Nest system on your phone (I just have a mobile remote thermostat) and your scenario is perfect. Doesn’t Airbnb offer a discount to superhosts?

Could the Nest offer a cooler temperature at night and more similar to outside in the day when people are most likely out?

Yes, you can set the schedule and it’s easily modified. In my area, most guests are out from 10am to 9pm, so I can put the a/c to go on an hour before in order to cool the house down. That saves the guest arriving, being so hot that they turn the temp so low thinking that it will cool faster. If the house is already cool when they arrive, they tend to feel the freshness right away, and they stay comfortable at a more moderate temp. I bought two more units with the Superhost/Nest program for 30% off.

1 Like

For the same reason they will never get rid of their ridiculously easy to forge and dirty crumpled dollar bills. Because if they do some people will claim it is a ruse by the government to take away their freedom and guns. But google is your friend here. Just start to type “18ce” and it will offer “18celsius to Fahrenheit”. Hit return and the answer is 64.4. Useful for converting American recipes for Cobbler to metric too. Non nom nom.

You are right. This behaviour is very tipycal for North Americans . I don’t know why and honestly I don’t buy any explanations given here. It’s total nonsense and behaviour of wasteful ,spoiled swimming in money people.
Every single European and other nation guests complained about coldness of my house and 50% of Americans complain about warmness of my house. Once I almost kicked out a guy who was putting AC on 68F every chance he had and I was not around.
So if I were you and I expect American guest coming inwouod say:
You better not put AC on 16F and get that blanket our of a closet … Or else😁

And in Winter with the Eastern Europeans it is exactly opposite.
In the winter they put the heaters on max, run around in their underwear and complain it is cold.
And when it is hot, they open the windows, instead of turning the heaters down.

Fortunately I have no AC. And in the winter my heaters are limited to 22C.

1 Like

68f is only 20C, hardly cool.

Again the result of a culture where energy is way too cheap. Bring on international climate change agreements, and taxation which can support energy efficiency technology.

1 Like

I know. A lot of their power and heat comes form cheap nuclear energy.
Often the “free” heat from nuclear plants is used to heat whole cities.

But that does not mean we have to accept this. In winter we often refuse guests from certain countries just because we know we will get complaints about the room temperatures.

1 Like

Shhh … You’ll get the diversity police onto you.

Cool or not cool but he was not allowed after first time he did it. My opinion if you nees to be in certain temperature inquire first

So do you detail the temperature you offer in your listing? I think most people would hope for 20 C overnight.

No most people think 68F is very cold. In fact I had 3 other guests at that time and they called to let me know that house is freezing

No! For an average northern European 20 degrees overnight would be almost cool enough to sleep with light covers! I think there needs to be transparency about Aircon because if it only gets to, say, 24 degrees most northern Europeans CANNOT sleep, which is a nightmare because it makes you Ill!
I am not taking about idiots who leave the Aircon on all day, leave the windows open or put on loads of clothes or bedding with Aircon on. I am talking about normal responsible guests who honestly NEED 20 degrees during the night - it’s not a whim or a luxury.

I think we need another survey. I would be covered by 3 blankets with 20C.
I remember guys from Norwey who claimed they got sick from my AC at 75F and asked to put it higher

Of course but you are not from a northern climate. I know from friends and family who holiday in Southern Europe etc. and from fellow northerners I have met on holiday that people really cannot sleep at high temperatures. Every cell of their body is telling them: a) it’s daytime and b) they might be in danger from dehydration, overheating etc… Remember we HEAT our houses to 20 degrees in the daytime.
With my southern European guests I give them extra blankets, turn up their radiator etc… With heat at night there is very little you can do apart from Aircon.