Why I don't provide breakfast anymore

lisbon is wonderful and I can recommend two hosts in Lisbon if you need them. One was a whole apartment for £25!

Do share your finds, I’ve been struggling with the air site.

I once read that (hotel)services should be priced correctly. The price shouldn’t be perceived as too high because no-one wants to overspend. BUT it also shouldn’t be priced too low for what you offer because people become wary and won’t trust the situation. It also could be that people think it’s something too cheap for them. We all know the kind of people who will say “No, I don’t shop in that cheap shop, it’s rubbish” while they actually have never set foot there. Or “No, I don’t want to fly ryanair” until they experience it themselves and see that it isn’t that bad to be slightly less comfortable for 1,5 hours and save loads of money.
Just a theory!

Love your response!

I have people complaint I only have one bathroom in my apartment! I don’t have car park etc which I have clearly pointed out in my listing only ONe bathroom !!! No parking !!!

Chris, we’re new and had similar last month, with an unannounced 2yr old, despite House Rules of no children/house not safe, and caving in. I’ve posted elsewhere about him falling down the stairs and other stuff that went wrong. Her review was so splendidly awful, I’ve framed a copy for the downstairs loo. A very fast learning curve on not breaking your own rules; ever. I nearly had a heart attack this Sunday when people arrived. As I went to greet them at the front door, I spotted a bloke carrying an infant from the kitchen window. I opened the door ready to greet/call airbnb/ send on their way, but fortunately, he was not of their party. Phew. I was quite worried that my expression might not have been the friendliest, despite pausing to arrange suitably before opening the door. They were delighted when I explained and thought it really funny.

“Ryanair…isn’t that bad”? - seriously? - our three worst-ever flight experiences have been under their care!

Breakfast chez nous - choice of half-a-dozen cereals also provided - and the bread and the croissants are home-made.

4 Likes

In that case it’s better to not take their flights again :wink:
Giving me more chance to take my € 20,00 (two-way) flight. Perfect :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:!

1 Like

In 2005 I paid one pence to fly RyanAir from Stansted to Genoa. Yes one pence. Yes this was a while ago, but that is a fare that cannot be beat! :tada::upside_down_face::blush::rofl:

2 Likes

Better than Monarch right now I guess but Ryanair has recently cancelled heaps of flights as they have no pilots wtf?

And I have two cancelations for next week because Air Berlin has declared insolvency. No one has picked up these flights, and they can’t get a refund.

Hosts need to remember that the first Airbnb offering was an air mattress in a common area with nothing else. Expectations have changed. Unfortunately people don’t read and will skip notes that there is no breakfast.

We try to offer things that our family will use up if we don’t. Requests can be challenging so we make no promises. If I get a longer reservation, I sometimes ask about preferences. Otherwise we do a couple types of bread, English muffins, banana bread or scones, cereals/granola and either fresh seasonal fruit or a fruit bowl in winter. We clearly state that breakfast is complimentary and perhaps that reduces complaints. Offering food can increase insurance too. I don’t cook anything to avoid the liability.

I also do not provide breakfast, as I live near so many cafes and 5 min from a supermarket but, do provide tea, coffee, and milk.
I’ve had people stay from all over the world and it would be too hard to cover the different types of food and other things to consider: allergies, healthy eating, vegan diets, etc

1 Like

In my opinion, water, coffee, tea, milk and juice must be provided

Depending on the local laws in your area, it may be that you can only offer those items if they are unopened and factory-sealed. Unless, of course, you’ve got a licence that allows you to serve food but in this area it’s far too much of a complication to do so. (I’d need a commercial-grade kitchen that would be inspected every few months).

Although some hosts would probably like to save costs by decanting items into containers, they’d need to check that it’s allowed in their locality - regulations can be very strict when it comes to food handling. (Which includes milk, juice etc.)

If the authorities get to know about illegal food handling you can lose your business licence and / or be closed down.

It’s all a bit of a malarkey but laws are pretty strict these days - in our area the authorities stopped bakers selling bread at the farmers market because it wasn’t sealed in plastic!