Why do smokers keep renting my Non smoking place?

Could you ask them to use the back door if they want to go out and smoke?

1 Like

Sounds like a catch 22. Best of luck.

Edit to add: Maybe if you just tell them you are a light sleeper and the going in and out wakes you they can manage to be more quiet or smoke before they come in for the night and not smoke again until the morning. A ā€œitā€™s not you, itā€™s meā€ approach will make it clear you are non-judgmental.

1 Like

Unfortunately the back door takes them directly next to the window of our other guest room, so I wouldnā€™t want them disturbed. Thereā€™s a side gate out to the front but I canā€™t risk it being left open because of the dog. Itā€™s tucked out of the way so we wouldnā€™t necessarily notice straight away.

Iā€™m probably dreaming but Iā€™d really like to find an effective way to discourage them from booking altogether.

Just say in your house rules that your listing isnā€™t suitable for smokers.

1 Like

Thanks, I have done. Itā€™s not one Iā€™ll enforce as long as they donā€™t do it inside, but hopefully it filters some of them out

I just accepted a vaper (vapor?) because the booking was $1300.

She promised they would be good. These types of smokers usually always are. I have allowed patio smoking in the pastā€¦ Donā€™t think I will in the future though. But the vaping outside should be okay and I am glad they asked.

1 Like

Thanks @cabinhost! To be honest itā€™s not a super common problem, luckily. Last nights guests reminded me of it. I think they were up late having a few drinks. Which is totally fine, they werenā€™t being loud up there and I could tell they were trying to be quiet in the hallway. Just that bloody door!
Itā€™s not a massive issue and Iā€™m not terribly hung up on it. Nobody is going to get a bad review or a stern word. I just wish theyā€™d choose somewhere else :joy:

Iā€™ve had some good advice here. With your listing wording for them to inquire first, @Helsiā€™s suggestion about saying itā€™s not being suitable for smokers, and @KKCā€™s suggestion for me to check when they request a bookingā€¦ that should be enough for the most part. And if the odd one ends up here Iā€™m not getting upset

I completely understand! I am a light sleeper and sleep with a box fan on full blast, or if I stay at the rental I run the white noise machine there. Even then, a noise can wake me up - but the fan or white noise machine will lull me back to sleep. Although, I might be afraid to use something if I had guests in the home with me :tired_face: I kind of would want to know if I hear some strange noise, guests arguing and waking other guests, or a guest trying to enter my room, etc.

I just had a couple leave (here for two days) and there is a smellā€¦not quite cigarettesā€¦not weed that permeates the entire apartment. I have tried everything to air out the place. Just purchased an ozone generator and am hoping that will do the trick. Has anyone asked Airbnb for smoke remediation out of security deposit? How do you prove if not butts/evidence left other than odor?

1 Like

My first violation the guests were smoking blunts. Horrific smell. I immediately ordered carbon ac filters and files a claim. Air reimburses me the cost of the filters $80, but not from the deposit. That was 5 years ago. They do not typically reimburse for smells as the proof is in the opinion of the host.

I find the ozone machine really helps. Just a ten minute run, Windows open and AC fan on. It may be vape. Vape users think it doesnā€™t smell but it totally does.

The activated charcoal ac filters really help me as I am Chemically Sensitive. Guests who use all the fragranced laundry products, just sleeping in the beds, leaves an awful chemical curtain. It actually makes me sick without those filters.

I have never lost a claim but have never filed without evidence. Most guests have seen the evidence and agree to pay after I write ā€˜Thank You in advance for taking ownership of this issueā€™.

Good luck.

Thank you Connie. I went down to the apartment this morningā€¦and it still reeks. I think it might have been vapingā€¦as there were nos butts or other evidence, I just wrote a note to the guestā€¦maybe he could at least cover the cost of the ozone generator. I will definitely try the carbon AC filters as well.

I have a non smoking property as well. I have return guests that do not smoke and weā€™re fabulous last year. This year they brought two others with them. One smokes. He was seen smoking outside the doors of the house. I Reminded him of the rules. If he continues to smoke on property I will let them know that they have to leaveā€¦or at least the smoker has to leave. They can decide if he leaves or all of them leave. smokers do NOT understand is how the smell of their nasty cigarette smoke travels everywhere. When they smoke outside it still gets inside the house through the furnace vents etc. if they have the door open when they smoke it drifts inside the house and is horrible. My house is rented all summer. I donā€™t have the time needed to clean a Smokey house in between guests. I would have to cancel my next two weeks of guests and get the walls cleaned and painted and all filters changed. I have no idea why smokers rent non smoking property!!!

Did it work? Would like to see a follow up post!

I have posted before on essential oils and the lingering smell. People will tell you it doesnā€™t leave an odor - for those who are sensitive it really DOES! I had to wash all fabric, including curtains, plus wipe down the walls and hard surfaces with a vinegar and water mix, and left bowls of vinegar out to absorb odor then sprinkle baking soda on the rug before vacuuming after a guest used a diffuser. Added No essential oils to my list of rules.

Here is what worked for me. I ran an ozone generator for two days, sanitized every linen, washed down every surface and then purchased a $150 air purifier from Amazon (it had a charcoal filter). I believe it was the air purifier that finally did the trick. This was definitely a learning experience.

Smokers rent non-smoking places because Airbnbā€™s categories arenā€™t descriptive enough.

If you filter for ā€œsmokingā€ listings in most places you get places that allow it indoors - crash pads out of High Times or flashbacks to 1970ā€™s tar-stained walls. (Ew.)

So smokers search non-smoking listings, trying to find ones with outdoor areas where they can presumably smoke. Loads of ā€œnon-smokingā€ listings say itā€™s okay to smoke outside.

We have an ashtray in the garden, but Iā€™d never label my place as ā€œsmokingā€. It would alienate non-smokers and I donā€™t want anyone to misinterpret that as license to smoke in the unit.

It would be helpful if Airbnb added a category to their smoking options:

• No smoking on entire property
  • No smoking in unit
  • Smoking allowed (everywhere)

I donā€™t allow smoking but donā€™t go crazy if people smoke outside away from others and clean up after themselves. I have a different issue with the smokers who go out at all hours. If I see all the cars in late at night I lock the door and turn off the outside lights. Iā€™ve nearly locked out a couple of people!