Why do reviews tend to be so over-the-top great?

If you cleaned it, and it didn’t come off, i’d say its a stain not dirt. I agree its a bit unsightly but you proved to yourself its not unclean, its probably pretty old porcelain? I personally don’t think a host should have to replace their toilet to rent out a room in their home.

3 Likes

To each their own. I’d be embarrased to rent out a toilet that looked like this. Many people don’t know how to clean things. They think if they rub it and it doesn’t come off, that’s it. I’d be using acids, abrasives, and razor blades to try to get that gross stuff off.

This goes a long way towards explaining why I have 98% five star reviews.

3 Likes

Vinegar with a sprinkle of baking soda will take that off. (hope you never need that info again!)

No toilet brush in the bathroom always baffles me. As a housekeeper by trade it is a personal pet peeve of mine. Imagine your poor housekeeper having to carry one of them around from room to room, at times they drip on the floor or fall off the caddy she is carrying. It is GROSS :wink:

2 Likes

The bit about “seeing a toilet brush” may be about the style of that particular toilet brush. I have the ones that are covered and after every guest I use the brush to clean the toilet, let it dry and check the container to make sure it is clean and dry.

1 Like

Every time you mention that Pineapple Park hostel or whatever the name is…it always cracks me up!

1 Like

I do and I did! …

1 Like

:smile:!!..

Is it expensive to replace a toilet? The one piece ones are relatively expensive, but not the two piece ones, I think.

Your quite right, different people value different things and this is maybe why the reviews are amazing for this particular place, when it had an old and stained toilet. Maybe it was really cheap in a highly desirable location. I do know that Modern houses are much easier to make appear clean than old houses. Old houses may be clean but have lots of wear and stain. You can’t clean stone walls easily for example, the cobwebs manifest every-night. It all comes down to how accurate the description of the hosts home actually is.

Modern homes have very little character, some people value character. I do a fair number of change overs for other holiday homes in the area and the modern ones always end up looking cleaner. It doesn’t matter how much you scrub an old cast iron enamel bath or what products you use, those stains won’t shift. Horses for courses. But I still don’t think someone should have to replace a toilet in their home. Its airBnB not RealBnB.

Like I said in an earlier post on a different topic, this year I’ve relaxed my approach, less cleaning, less stress, more fun and who cares if I get 98% or 68% stars. Its actually made naff all difference in reality to any reviews I’m getting. They are all mostly over the top great, just like last year and I’m still managing to avoid superhost status thank god!!! LOL

3 Likes

Depends on how bad. The one in the Air room I intended to rent was horrendous. My ex lived there after we split up and he NEVER cleaned it. He left the room in such terrible shape (ceiling fan hanging by a wire, infested with mice, wrecked loo and holes in screens) it took a whole lot of rehab to get it ready to rent. Luckily I had found a new boy toy who eagerly helped me fix it all once the ex husband was kicked to the curb. :smiley:

2 Likes

Tino hahaha just read all of this thread. He sounds like a hoot.

1 Like

(Spoiler/off-topic question) Sooo, is the boy-toy still in the pic? Inquiring minds, etc. : )

1 Like

Hey @konacoconutz,

Boy-toy? Tchah. We men are not just sex objects, you know. We have minds too…

2 Likes

He isn’t but in his short tenure around here, he resurfaced my lanai deck upstairs, replaced a staircase, fixed and/or patched numerous things and was such a huge help. He was 19 years younger! LOL!

2 Likes

Mind you he has an OUTHOUSE!!! HE IS IN THE MIDDLE OF A LAVA FIELD AT 4000 FEET!!! A half hour from the main highway. AND HE GETS OVER THE TOP GREAT REVIEWS!!!

But clearly the guests he gets are ready for adventure. :smile: So he must be doing something right.

There’s just no understanding this business. :smile:

1 Like

kc: I’m glad you weren’t offended that I posed such a personal query…believe it or not, I was in the middle of an edit to delete it when your ‘like’ appeared, so I’ll leave it.

My next question is…

(ha!)

The answer is YES!!! :wink:

1 Like

I sent you a PM! …

It’s the culture of reviews these days that gives those prone to overdoing it a platform. There’s Yelp, TripAdvisor, and loads of other opportunities for people to express, more like vent sometimes. Also, in the States we’re encouraged to believe that we, the customer, are the center of the universe. This has been built up by corporations to draw in business by making its workers bend over backwards to please the customer, which has created these ultra-picky, fussy people. I get so annoyed standing in line at Starbucks listening the contortions customers put the baristas through.

I have a great time reading restaurant reviews, hotel reviews too, because some are outrageously petty, yet actually do have an affect on a business’s success–and that’s not fair.

When and if I choose to review something, I put myself in the place of the business owner or service provider and try to be as honest and constructive as possible. Also, I try to keep in mind what my gran used to say about not saying anything if you can’t say something nice. People will vote with their feet without you having to say a thing.