Why do reviews tend to be so over-the-top great?

I showed my college age sons and asked, “Would your mom ever let a guest check in to a toilet like this?” And they laughed. They also thought it was worse than their dorm suitemates would leave.

Oh my god. NO GUEST SHOULD EVER SEE A TOILET BRUSH, EITHER!!

1 Like

I can’t really think of many TV programs or movies which show the seamier side of Hawaii. OTOH, there are plenty which portary New York as gritty, and in fact, even grittier than it is in reality.

So, people may have an idealized picture in their head when they imagine themselves in HI. I know your listing is very honest, but what do we know about people’s skills when it comes to reading listings?! Hmmmm. :wink:

A long time ago I was horseback riding in Molokai. In one very scenic part, the guide seemed to be rushing us through and trying to get me to look away from something. My parents later explained that it was pot farm.

2 Likes

Why is Tino talking about himself in the 3rd person?

3 Likes

It’s reckless disregard for the hosting community as a whole, not to mention the guests!

1 Like

Maybe there should be some secret shoppers rooting these scoundrels out.

1 Like

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @konacoconutz,

Your friend may be enlightened, but he can’t spell. His grammar is also kind of shaky.
Just me being catty. Sorry about that.

1 Like

Hi @chicagohost,

One thing I’ve wondered about it how expensive many listings in the US tend to be. I know the US is pretty expensive, but Americans in my experience also don’t have a lot of disposable income. But maybe people save up for vacations? Or B&Bs just caters to the more wealthy?

1 Like

Tino seems just a bit tetched. What’s his calendar like…many takers?

1 Like

Its not that they dont have a lot of disposable income, its more that Americans dont want t to spend what they have.
Middle class americans are trained very well how to be smart about their money.There is a very detailed budgeting going on from the time they finish high school.
I was not raised this way… because we had nothng. There was nothing to budget. WHen i came to US, suddenly i had to have an emergency fund equal to 6 month of living expences, retiremnet plan, stocks and bonds, real estate, and other things that i had to save for. I came to US when i was 20, with a toddler, and this was one of the first things i had to learn. Though many Americans do have quite a bit of savings and disposable money , they are still very carefull about spendings.

2 Likes

People who don’t have a lot of disposable income charge things to their credit card and live beyond their means.

3 Likes

do you remember when Dan Rather stood on the boardwalk in Pahoa and claimed it was the pot-growing capital of the world? :smile:

1 Like

He’s not my FRIEND! Let’s be clear! Just a random host i found while surfing listings. :smile:

3 Likes

The average US household has around $15,000 in credit card debt. That’s just credit cards and doesn’t count car loans or leases, mortgages or personal loans from banks. Then there’s the small matter of student loans, which can be in the six figures.

2 Likes

We know he’s your boyfriend!

:innocent:

9 Likes

I don’t know his listing … We should try to find it!

hahahahhahahahahahah

Hi @SandyToes,

Just do a search for “Tino Airbnb Hawaii”. His profile is the top hit. And yes, he has fairly good reviews. Then again, most people seem to, in practice. Which brings us back to the topic of this thread…

One wonders what kind of review Norman Bates would have gotten, if he had chosen to put his motel up for rent on Airbnb. Maybe someone should create a mock listing as an experiment.

5 Likes

Reminds me of this topic: