Why did I agree to this booking?

Do you have any reason to believe that the son will not be bringing an air mattress to sleep on? Is he flying or driving in?

Maybe you should only permit sofa use from 9am to 9pm. Have a sensor built in and an annoying alarm go off when the sofa is used outside of the permitted hours.
I’m having a laugh :rofl: SORRY! :rofl::rofl: Sorry, did it again.

I think @Debthecat is totally right. You really don’t want to imagine what people do with sofas in their room. A sofa is ideal for daytime naps with lots of satisfactory drooling. The bed might get too hot in summer and a guest might move his sweaty body to the sofa for a while to cool of. One of the partners maybe snores and the other partner wants to distance himself a bit by sleeping on the sofa. People might be to drunk to get to the bed and will just sleep wherever they first lay their head, the sofa. They might eat, drink and spill in a sofa. People will make love in all kinds of ways :see_no_evil::speak_no_evil: in a sofa. Etc. …
Some people however will realize all the fun your sofa has already experienced and will just refrain from touching it :sweat_smile:.

B.T.W. No one is questioning here that you are a dedicated host who wants to keep the sofa clean and in good shape for guests to come. Some of us just don’t understand why all of a sudden “the son” is going to ruin your sofa.

3 Likes

Puns are the lowest form of wit.

2 Likes

Do we have any reason to believe that anyone would ever bring their own air mattress to our place? :thinking::thinking::thinking::zipper_mouth_face:
No seriously :slightly_smiling_face:, is that a possibility? Has this happened in your place?

1 Like

Yes, plenty of times. When people don’t want to share beds. My living room couch is too small for anyone but a child to sleep on. The basement couch is huge though and people can sleep on that. The rental has one queen bed and one king bed. I also provide two floor mats with bedding.

I had a recent inquiry for 6 adults and I always ask the sleeping arrangements before accepting something like that. And I explain the layout of the place. Their response was that the other two would be bringing their own air beds even though I offered floor mats.

I had one group of three rent once. The mother and two adult daughters. One daughter did not want to share a bed with either one of them. She slept on an airbed that I had provided. It deflated of course. I can’t even remember if I had a replacement…but I am pretty sure I did. She left a wonderful review but Booking.com asks guests what they didn’t like about the place. And this is not private feedback, it goes on your listing publicly. Her reply was that there could have been more beds for the size of the place :joy:

3 Likes

If I am traveling by car I bring my own fabulous Serta twin inflatable with 3 firmness setting and automatic electric pump adjustment while you sleep, in its carry bag. I’ve used it at my kids’ apartments and at Airbnbs. Best purchase ever. I’m too damn old to sleep on futons anymore!

6 Likes

I couldn’t resist looking it up for a picture, you made it sound soooooo good :smile::smile::smile:!

This forum is just great ! All the new things I learn here are just incredible, and all this while having lots of fun: I have been laughing for already more than an hour, after reading that the cops :zipper_mouth_face: should be called :sunglasses: on a neighbor :speak_no_evil: because :see_no_evil: he :laughing: was :thinking: looking :smiley: out :smile: of :laughing: his :joy: own :joy::joy: window :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:.

I’m sorry people :joy::joy::joy:, it’s just one of those days I guess :joy:. Never mind me!

4 Likes

The most important host rule to live by, whatever the issue that is bothering you:

DO NOT break your own rules.

Set reasonable rules. Post them clearly on Airbnb. Guest will try to get around them. Don’t allow that and most of your host problems will disappear.

5 Likes

I know…right?? @dpfromva did sell me on that air bed but I am too tired too look it up…lol. I love love the white noise machines I provide guests at the rental. I have to buy myself one to travel with. Best purchase ever! :smile:

3 Likes

A “white noise machine” is the other innovation I had to look up a few days ago :smile::smile::smile:. At first I thought it was an active noise canceling machine, but as far as I understood the thing it’s much better and creates random noises (waves, traffic,…). I could only conclude that I have to feel really blessed with the large free “white noise machine” in front of our door :rofl:. It’s a main traffic artery :sweat::sweat_smile::joy::rofl:.

Ok, now serious :neutral_face::neutral_face::no_mouth:, what does that thing actually send out and is it really that great? If I want to buy one, what should I specifically look for?

It’s such a fascinating world we live in, it never seizes to amaze me !

1 Like

Seizes? Your accent is showing, very cute!

3 Likes

Hmmm…not sure what you mean by active noise canceling machine? Mine just sounds like a really loud fan but no wind blowing. I could not use one of the white noise machines that has nature sounds.

This is the one I have in each bedroom. I really need to provide it because the frogs and crickets can be sooo loud at night even with all windows closed. Even during the day it is nice for someone to be able to take a nap in their room and turn on the machine to drown out others cooking in the kitchen, etc. I have seen some parents leave it out near the Pack n Play too to put baby down for a nap.

https://www.amazon.com/Marpac-Dohm-DS-All-Natural-White-Machine/dp/B000KUHFGM?th=1

4 Likes

Active noise canceling you can find in certain headsets. These headsets generate opposing frequencies to all the background noise, and by doing this they cancel out this noise. The result is you will hear more of your music and much less of any background sounds around you.

Maybe I am underestimating your crickets and frogs, but I think I would prefer them to a very load fan :relaxed:.
Crickets and frogs make me think of the time I was in the Ecuadorian jungle. On the first morning I got woken by an alarm clock of one of the neighboring huts. I just couldn’t understand why that fellow traveller wasn’t shutting down his alarm until, after 2,5 hours, I realized that it was in fact an insect making the exact same sound as my alarm clock at home :grin:.

4 Likes

Huh? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow: Please help me out, what accent am I actually showing? :relaxed:
I always consider my English like my own personal variant with my own personal accent :innocent::innocent::innocent:.

2 Likes

Awe… I don’t mean to make fun. :grin:You are very accomplished in languages!
It’s a pronunciation thing…

Seizes is taking forcefully.
Cease is what you mean.

Never ceases to amaze me. Nearly same pronunciation though!

1 Like

Ah s#%&, you or someone else already explained this to me once. I’ll have another go at trying to remember this one :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

But GutHend, it’s actually as kona sez’…your little mistakes are cute because you come real close to the right word. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Everyone is trying to make a living.
This sarcasm isn’t necessary.

3 Likes

The same has happened to me a few times: guest(s) sneaking other guest(S) during their stay. Not easy to deal with. Decided to be firm and polite . Also, do call Airbnb immediately to let them know, specially if your listing shows an extra fee for additional guest. Unfortunately, some guests “ignore” that extra fee. I recently turned down a seven day booking because of this : no discussing, no arguing. Worth every $$ lost;-)

4 Likes

Yeah…they get loud, loud, loud. One set of guests got hardly any sleep and I just happened to order the white noise machines that week and they were delivered during their stay. But I was just waiting till they checked out to take them over there :frowning:

The fan sounds drowns them out. I sleep better with a fan noise because it is “constant” - where frog sounds and crickets will be at different sound levels. This is part of some feedback the other couple (with the friends who couldn’t sleep) left. They were very nice:

" The only thing that I want to make you aware of…I think something is mating in the water fall. Our friends only got a few hours of sleep each night because whatever is happening in that water fall was SO LOUD!! We could hear it a little during the day at that was no big deal, but I woke up Saturday night and couldn’t believe the racket! To me it sounds like something is stuck in a drain, but our friend swears it’s frogs. I’ve never heard frogs like that, but he may have been right considering all of the tadpoles in the fountain. I’m not kidding…I wish I’d thought to record the sound. There are a gazillion tadpoles in that fountain – I can’t imagine the frog infestation that’s going to happen when they mature. Frogs gross me out – if there were a million out there hopping around when I was renting, I would have had to leave. Of course I’ll be happy to write a glowing review without mentioning the frogs, but I just wanted you to be aware. If my parents had been there during Croakfest 2015, my mother would have had a fit! :wink:

Thanks so much for all of your help with everything – you’re the best!"

5 Likes