Whole house rental - lock unused bedrooms?

I think maybe they should have different levels of hosts instead of just Superhost or not.

2 Likes

Honestly… they should not give out the superhero badge until someone has at least a year of renting. Someone new with a several rooms could turnover fast and make super ho in a matter of weeks.

Doesn’t mean they are experienced enough to be called a great host yet.

I dunno. I think there is SH inflation. They give out the badge way too quickly and easily. Which of course can render it meaningless… and that isn’t really fair to those who really earn it.

6 Likes

@konacoconutz I agree. It took me a very long time to make Superhost status, and at that time, it was meaningful. It’s not fair to those of us who worked our fannies off for the first little dribbles to see it now slathered onto the hosting community like gravy. If it’s slathered on like gravy, with very little effort to get it, how is it an incentive? I’ve been in Berkeley, CA, for nearly 7 years, have retained Superhost status for 6 years with no interruptions, and have consistently maintained a 100% response rate, gushing positive reviews, 5-star ratings, and average-to-low prices. Yet, my listing slides way down below brand new hosts with lower ratings, fewer reviews, crappy-looking photos, etc. Superhost status was intended to reward hard working, well-reviewed, reliable, longstanding hosts with better rankings in the Airbnb search engine and a better chance of getting booked in a competitive market. It doesn’t seem to be serving that purpose anymore.

2 Likes

Was it? I just assumed it was something designed to help guests narrow their choices. LOL.

How are you doing in your market?

1 Like

In light of the comments above about whole house rental expectations of not locking unused rooms, I would appreciate your feedback.

My neighbor is considering listing her 2 BR 2BA condo at the beach on Airbnb as the following:

Entire home. 1 BR 1 Ba sleeps 4. Queen bed & queen sofa sleeper.

She would lock off her Master BR & ensuite Bath. She will move the items of value that she doesn’t want to risk into the MBR.

The guest would have access to the unit as advertised but not truly the entire home.

do you think this will cause confusion?

2 Likes

This is exactly what I do & haven’t had an issue yet. I clearly state in my listing that the MBR is not available for use & have had no comments from any guests about it. One had to let herself into it, with my permission, to find the plunger, ha! But other than no one goes in!

1 Like