Which Type of Mattress? Help Please!

Hubby and I are going crazy. We have been to so many mattress ships we are now mattressed out and so confused!
We have 3 apartments to furnish to start our Airbnb venture and from our own experience the quality of sleep is one of the most important factors. As we are all different shapes and sizes does anyone have a suggestion on the mattress types which are best suited and longer lasting. We do not want to spend a fortune on mattresses either so we are a little stuck on foam/latex/spring with topper/?? Any suggestions. Cheers

Our guests have been very happy with the Tuft & Needle mattresses that the company sent us for free. They are an online only company. The mattresses are made of a proprietary foam that supposedly doesn’t make the sleeper too hot.

Someone before recommending going to a place like Sams Club or Costco and buying the best option they have. High quality at a bargained low price. Stick to the basics.

1 Like

Other’s have suggested Craig’s list. Since you are starting out that may be a good option. Indeed there are many great deals on that listing. When I bought mine I did not have the luxury of time.

I bought a low-tech inner spring mattress (old fashioned) that the store kept in the back. I had to ask the salesman for it. My guests RAVE about the sleep.

I also have 2 Tuft & Needle and not one guest has mentioned anything. I DID have a memory foam and had complaints about it being to soft.

Typically, guests from Asia will be accustomed to a very hard bed, so the foam things may not be good for a wide-range of guests. (Others will disagree).

I personally despise foam toppers, memory foam, etc. But others will love it. I would suggest, if there is more than one bed in the apartment, using two different types

Or, using the inner spring, with a topper that can be removed if the guest prefers.

Good luck!!!

I live in a hot dry climate and the foam mattresses like Tuft and Needle or foam toppers do make the bed hotter in my opinion. If you are in a cool climate maybe those will work. If you have access to a truck then Costco does have reasonable prices on name brand mattresses. And you can find good clean mattresses on Craigslist.

1 Like

We had an old mattress that was really hard. But when we added a 3" memory foam topper it was suddenly super comfortable. Several guests have commented that they had a great nights’ sleep and that they loved the bed. Haven’t had anyone complain about it getting hot, and we do live in Texas which is swampy humid in the summer. We also provide the memory foam pillows with the cooling technology, I like those a lot and use them myself.

I am registered on Nextdoor.com, which is a website for neighbors to connect. There are tons of people giving away mattresses for free or selling them super cheap. It’s better than Craigslist in my opinion because you are likely to deal straight with people who live down the street from you and that you have to see again. We bought a used car from a neighbor and it was a great deal and runs wonderfully.

2 Likes

The tuft and needle promo is only available to US hosts.

1 Like

I know that. The original poster asked for recommendations for comfortable mattresses. He/she didn’t state that the mattress has to be free.

According to their website, Tuft & Needle has addresses the problem of foam mattresses being too hot with their proprietary foam. I live in Los Angeles, which I consider to be hot and dry although Texas is definitely hotter. None of the guests have complained about being too hot.

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/mattress/

We have 2 mattresses we bought on Amazon and almost all our guests have mentioned how the mattress is so amazing. Best night sleep ever they say! Here is the link and you CANT beat the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A4OO80/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Hi @tiffany,

I’ve been using a fairly generic (but custom made) 6 ft by 7 ft foam mattress, which I had made for me at a local shop. This is, ironically, one of the few things in my listing I didn’t obsess to death over, perhaps because I knew I could easily change it.

We went to a bunch of different shops in an area in Bombay where they sell a lot of beds (that’s how it works here, you get different kinds of local markets in different places), and we picked this chap because he was the only one who talked sensibly.

Here are the notes I have on the mattress, dated 30th March 2015. The mattress is 5 inches thick, all foam. It’s three different layers of foam. 1 + 3 + 1 inches. A 3 inch slab with 1 inch slabs on either side.

3 in - Bonded 100D (Puja foam from Nasik)
1 in - Black supersoft foam (New Field Gujarat)
1 in - 40D foam (Bhiwandi - Narayan Foams)

All of these glued together. The brand name stuff doesn’t seem to give any hits on Google.

Traditionally, coir mattresses are popular in India, but the bed maker said that the implementation quality in India was now so low they could not recommend it.

The total cost of this mattress at the time (March/April 2015) was approximately Rs. 11000. At current exchange rates that is USD 164.

None of my guests have so far complained about this mattress. One person (an American) said it was the firmest mattress he had ever slept on, but was still comfortable.

The bed maker also commented that he didn’t recommend Memory Foam, which he said was too soft. Also, it’s excessively expensive, at least by Indian standards. That’s in line with what I know about beds. In general, one should err on the side of too firm, because mattresses which are too soft can cause problems for people with back issues. Basically, you need to make sure the mattress is giving proper support.

But mattresses isn’t really something I know much about.

Thanks all. Unfortunately I live in Portugal so a little less options than the USA. I will take all the comments thanks as they were still very helpful. Cheers All

I have bought mid-range foam mattresses from Ikea which were quite affordable and I never heard a complaint after 35 stays with guests of all ages and body shapes. The model I have is called Malvik.

1 Like

great info thanks so much i will use this to find one

I personally like bubble, memory foam, but other people will like it, and so on. I think if there is a bed in the apartment, use two different types

1 Like

Hello from Australia,

I am not sure if there is a relevant thread for Mattresses in Australia.
We are planning to put our property on Air BNB and need some advice on buying a good mattress in Sydney.

Can someone please provide some input on which mattress will be economical, comfortable and long lasting.

Here are a few options we have looked at thus far-

Are there any other recommendations??

TIA

I went with a fairly inexpensive mattress and box spring for less than $500, and got a firm mattress. And they all love it.

I have the twin size. I love it and so do the guests. It is on the soft side but still gives good support. For the price it’s an amazing mattress.

When I started the move into my new/old place late about a year ago now I needed a place to sleep while getting the place ready. I put up a 24" high air mattress I had for when my sister came to visit. She actually bought it. Sits right on the floor, which is concrete right now.

I love it and still sleep on it every night. Adjusting the air pressure lets you adjust firmness. The “feel” will never change from sleeping in the same spot… never wear in. Don’t think I will ever go back to a regular bed. Not saying this will work for guests but just that people seem to make way too much of their bed.

No heat issues. If anything it is a bit cool but that is remedied with a blanket atop the mattress.

2 Likes

Hi,
I have recently bought a new Leesa mattress. It is very Comfortable and supportive. I am happy to have it, If you also want to change please research online. There are so many websites like available for the mattress guide. I have recently reviewed Voonky before buying a new mattress for my bedroom.