"Which is most like my space?" section on Airbnb

Airbnb now has a

Which is most like your space?

section, where I’m supposed to choose what my space is like. I don’t understand

a) why this is necessary - isn’t there already enough information available?

b) What I’m supposed to choose. Does this question pertain to the entire property, or just the space that is available for rent?

You can see my listing at http://towerroom.net.

Options include:

• Apartment
    Loft, serviced apartment

• House
    Townhouse, cabin, dome house

• Secondary unit
    Guesthouse and guest suite

• Unique space
    Tipi, castle, island, boat

• Bed and breakfast
    Farm stay, nature lodge

• Boutique hotels and more
    Hostel, aparthotel

This is for people who are looking for a specific kind of space to try to narrow it down a bit. When you are looking for an airbnb in a big market it can be overwhelming.

Or if you want something unique like a tipi, hogan, or tree house you don’t want to be lumped in with “entire places” that are suburban homes. And I’ll be very happy to not see any hotels when I’m searching on Airbnb so segregate them, please.

If I had to guess I would say it is to neatly fit each property into set search terms.

Some of it is a bit strange. My house is on a farm but under their description it does not fit “Farm Stay” because I don’t allow guests to interact with my livestock nor do I provide arts & crafts (WTF?). I would like to say it’s a farm for those looking to stay outside the city who want to enjoy a rural setting but I don’t fit under the canned description so I just chose “house.”

1 Like

It may just be an Airbnb way to see which hosts are logging on and paying attention. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @Bunny,

I’m not seeing any additional description beyond what I posted already. Am I missing something?

And opinions about which option I should choose are welcome. None of them really seem to fit my listing - a room inside (though really attached to) a flat/apartment. In India they use “flat” after the British.

Once you choose the base type and click “next” another set of choices come up. Here is the one under “house” for “Farm stay”

Farm stay
Farm stays are professionally managed accommodations in agricultural settings where guests may interact with animals or enjoy recreational activities like hiking or arts and crafts.

Professionally managed? So not the farmer? More like a “Club Farm” situation? Seems strange. There are a lot of farmers around me that have rooms or guest houses for rent and none of them fall into that description yet they are a stay on a farm and yes some do let you interact with the livestock or even pick fruits and veggies.

Oh, I see. I didn’t get that far. To be clear, for a single room rental, does this refer to the “enclosing” space?

Hi Faheem!

I’m just starting a series on my travel website called ‘divided by a common language’ and explaining some of the differences between proper English and American :slight_smile:

I read today that in Indian English, chips (fries in USA) are called ‘finger chips’. Is that correct? Is Indian English more like ‘proper English’ than American?

One website insists that the word apartment isn’t used in the UK but I know that it is (although flat is used a lot more) but I think that just confuses the issue because almost everyone in the UK understands what an apartment is!

Is it a room in your home? If yes:

choose: House
select: Type

then on the next page you can say if it is the entire house, a private room or a shared room

Hi @jaquo,

In India, the word (potato) chips is commonly used to refer to what, in the UK, is called crisps. Namely, thin potato slices which are then fried and sold in bags.

I’m not familiar with the term “finger chips”. There are also thick potato slices, also fried. I suppose those are called potato chips here too, or sometimes fries. These are similar to McDonald’s fries. (As in - would you like fries with that?)

But I’m probably not the right person to ask about culinary terminology.

PS: Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone use the term “fries” for thick potato chips. I think it’s US terminology. Then again, I’m not exactly in the loop of what people are calling things. And if they aren’t, they could easily start mimicking American terminology. Case in point, Indian referring to the rupee as a “buck”, which sounds extremely weird to my ear. Of course, I’m actually familiar with the etymology of “buck”.

1 Like

Maybe this is old news but did anyone notice when going through that list that there is a statement that says starting July 2018 Airbnb will request all host provide toilet paper, towels, sheets etc.?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a room in our home. But we only occupy the second floor of this building, so I’m not sure if “House” would fit. I think this is intended for people who own/occupy the entire house.

Perhaps “apartment” is a better fit or you could cover it in your description and follow up pre-booking with a clarification note just so everyone is on the same page and there are no surprises.

Possibly, or perhaps I could just ignore this completely. Is there any benefit in completing this? Has everyone here done so?

I know … like who doesn’t???

Yes, we noticed.

Apparently quite a few people. In some areas of the country traditional VRs are self catering and that means bring all your own consumables as well as linens. I think @cabinhost knows about this.

Meanwhile I’ve never been so happy about an Airbnb announcement because so little of it affects me.

2 Likes

Ha - me too!

Eew! So many of our guests come from Europe and going on an 8+ hour flight with bedlinens and toilet rolls would be a nightmare!

1 Like

Is this mandatory?..

Is what mandatory?..

Choosing a category …