What's next and advice to prevent happening in future

I wouldn’t even reply until after review time is up.

I would review him with the facts that you know. Same day reservation never checked in, poor communication and didn’t read the listing instructions.

As for not recommend, I find it hard to not recommend just because someone didn’t check in or read. But it’s up to you, if you wouldn’t host him again then I guess it’s a thumbs down.

1 Like

Airbnb called me this morning asking for the refund

It almost sounds like he’s asking for a refund to give you a good review. That feels yucky.

I have the same problem with my check-in instructions. Probably 75% of people don’t read them. I tried sending guests messages like “Once you’re read the check-in instructions, please send me a message letting me know and I’ll send you the code.” Then they’ll say ‘Yep I read the whole thing’ and when they get here, they’ll have no idea what to do.

I’m balancing liberty/security on this one. I have a standard 32x80" front door with a single cylinder deadbolt and door lever. I’ve been using the Schlage electronic keypad deadbolt. Guests have to enter the code and then manually rotate the lock cylinder knob to unlock it. Then they can use the lever to open the door. What a lot of guests do is type in the code, it blinks green 3x and they try the door handle without unlock the door.

I think the easier way is to have the Schlage electronic keypad door lever so all they have to do is put in the code and open the door. The problem is, that doesn’t secure the door as strongly as a deadbolt does so its less secure. The deadbolt is safer, but more difficult.

I know the ultimate answer is a mortised multi-point lock system. When the door latches, all 3 latch bolts close. When the lock is engaged, it extends those latches another .5"-1" into the frame. These doors cost about $2,000 though. I haven’t been able to find even just a door slab that I could mortise myself. So I’m at a loss as well in regards with what to do.

Meeting the guest in-person seems like the best way but like OP said, many guests keep late hours and arrive 4-6 hours after they say they would.

1 Like

Maybe switch out to a lock that unlocks automatically.

I had some guests who locked the handle lock when they went out and then of course the digital code only works the deadbolt. So I switched the handle to one that doesn’t lock.

In terms of security I have a wrought iron security door that I can lock but I never give the guests the key for that one. They can lock it behind them of course, both in and out of the room. I guess it’s a matter of time until a guest locks it and then can’t get back in.

My problem is not about the lock. It is about the location of the apartment is around the corner.
Guests who don’t read, always ended up trying to open our door.
While their door is around the corner.
Never have problem with guests who read.

1 Like

And any signage can’t be visible to the public?

We are working on it and it has to be done before busy season starts.