What would you do? (guest, rules, and all things alike)

I am a host an rent the loft upstairs. I would have zero problem being confrontational about this issue and would definitely cancel their stay as well as charge them for the mess they left. If they didn’t pay, I would go to resolution center. I would also charge them for the use of the washer and dryer. I would have zero problem doing this. It takes a certain type of person to be an AirBnB host. I’m 24 and I have thick skin and have no problem calling people out when they break house rules.

The rules for my listing include no use of the washer and dryer, no use of the common areas (living room, kitchen table), and limited use of the kitchen. Guests can use the kitchen if they ask me. If me and my fiancé aren’t cooking in it, they can prepare a quick meal and eat it in their room. I make it clear in the listing that they are not renting out my house. They are renting out the loft. Like I said, it takes a person with a backbone to be a host. You’ll get people who try to take over your house. Don’t let them do it.

Perfect advice Richard!

I agree wholeheartedly. So many new hosts seem to think it’s simply a matter of adding your listing to the site and then they’ll have a queue of wonderful super-guests who will be fully respectful towards the hosts and the space. They are probably the same people who believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@jaquo what about unicorns? I know they exist :slight_smile: (just kidding).

I try to be a nice host and make my guests comfortable but I normally do not let guests run me over.

Actually, one of my first guests was a lady who did not read the listing and did not know that the apartment does not have central cooling (we don’t need it that much at the Pacific Northwest so fans are usually enough). She came, banged on the door, complained and I politely told her that she may want to go to the hotel where she would be more comfortable. She started to negotiate, blackmail me with a bad review (or leaving a good review if I refunded her money on a spot) so I send her off (basically telling her she needs to leave my property).
Another one that spilled something on the carpet, I reported to Airbnb and they made him pay for damages.

With this kids, as I said, I failed to protect my interest. If they were not moving for out of state, looking for a job, a permanent apartment, and I felt sorry for them, I would have cancelled their second stay. But I have a daughter a little older and I guess I have a soft spot for young people starting in life.

Ah yes, I forgot about unicorns. Sorry! :wink:

You are not their mom. This is a business arrangement. People between housing in general do not make great guests. Many of them try to rent on Airbnb because they have a bad history. Evictions, bad credit, judgments, you name it.

Renting to locals between homes, no matter what their age, is not a good idea.

I bet your soft spot hardens up a bit as you are scrubbing down their mess and cursing them under your breath.:rofl: Nothin’ learns ya quicker than having bad guests that you helped enable in their behavior by not being firm enough or clear enough. Or by feeling sorry for them because they reminded you of your kids. I bet your kids would never act like this in someone else’s home. Ammirite?

We’ve all been new once and have made beginner mistakes. My mantra was never again, never again, that is not happening, EVER again! :joy: I’m older, much much older, and thankfully wiser!

1 Like

@konacoconutz truer words have never been spoken :smiley:

Yup, if my daughter acted like that she’d have an earful, no doubts.

And believe me, my soft spot disappeared the moment I entered the bathroom. Did you know that an average American curses at least once before 10am? I think I have exhausted my allotment for a year hahaha.

I am taking your mantra - never again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha! I think that for an English person it’s a lot more than that :wink:

1 Like

I took note of myself, as an “average American”, and it was just after 10 am…so apparently, I am the exception!

On the other hand, I admit it was a string of expletives…however, no one heard it. … :innocent:

1 Like

Talk about difficult guests! Here’s a story for you all; Host says no to guests having company over. Guests get upset and smash host with a coffee pot. Host gets arrested. Sounds fair.:thinking:

I trust cops less than the average person but still, we only have this host’s side of the story. That grabbing the knife is what got him in trouble. Whether it’s justified or not I can’t say.

1 Like

yeah I’m sure there’s more to the story than we’ll ever know.

1 Like

Wait… why you ditching Santa and the Tooth fairy? All my guests will be super swell and respectful. Santa told me so…:rofl: