What using airbnb as a guest taught this superhost

Since I have so many one nighters I don’t do this but once it gets down to half or less I change it. I do go often to Costco so I get their Kirkland brand. The rolls are quite large, in fact in one of my bathrooms with a recessed TP holder the new rolls barely fit.

Did you miss the ones on not flushing with every pee or not flushing paper at all in some less developed nations with old plumbing?

I saw them - this forum is a total revelation!

1 Like

I would like to add this to the toilet paper discussion: the long rolls are the best because there is still enough to make them look ‘new’ even after 2 or 3 guests. I get them when they’re on offer, otherwise I do the same as you and take the half used rolls for my own bathroom.

2 Likes

My work hours do not permit me to be available to greet most of my guests in person, but I do agree that when you can do it, it makes a difference. Some of the best reviews I’ve received were from guests that I met in person. When I can’t be there to greet them, I leave a personalized welcome note at the door which they seem to really appreciate. Make them feel welcome and feel like you’re happy to have them and it goes a long way.

They pay living wages, offer good benefits to employees, great return policies, and make efforts to feature local products. They are a model for how to be a good corporate citizen, not exploit customers or employees, and succeed.

3 Likes

I agree. I had an 8 night booking come in yesterday and I was like “YES!” because 8 nights without cleaning plus a nice payout. Within 10 minutes, the guest cancelled saying she had accidentally booked the wrong place. Since my cancellation policy only gives back 50%, I gave her the other 50% back, although I didn’t like it :frowning:

2 Likes

50%for no cleaning ! Win

re-read that. She got 0 %. Auto was 50% and she gave back the other 50% because it was 10 mintues later.

1 Like

I think the word he wanted to use was civility.

How did you arrange this since you haven’t been paid yet? Did you guys have to get on the phone with Air?

And since you refunded the other half, did Air also refund her back the service fees?

Since her credit card gets charged up front, when she cancelled she was automatically refunded 50% (minus airbnbs guest fee maybe) Then I just clicked into the resolution center. You click “send money” and it tells you the amount you may refund the guest which is the other 50%. When you refund it all, you don’t get charged the host few.

OK…see if I have this right.

So you go into the resolution center and you find the reservation. Then you will see some sort of option that asks if you want to refund the 50%? So this balance amount is just kind of visibly sitting there, or do you have to manually enter the amount?

Was the cleaning fee refunded by Airbnb when she cancelled?

So Air is not going to send you any kind of payout at all. The refund is done?

Yes, in fact. When someone cancels, I get a message on my inbox on their string saying so and so cancelled and then it asks “Do you want to send so and so a refund?” and gives me a link to the resolution center. It gives me the amount I am able to refund up to. That’s where you click “send money” and enter the amount you choose. Guests are never charged for a cleaning fee if they don’t begin their stay.

I’ve never tried refunding less than the total amount so I don’t know what would actually happen if I did. The last 2x which were both recent, I got a message later saying “so and so no longer requires accommodations on these dates asx they have booked another airbnb property” or something to that effect. I thought we’ll duh, they cancelled already, why am I getting this message?

OK. Thanks. I have heard some say guest isn’t charged cleaning fee, and others say that they were paid the cleaning fee on the cancellation.

Any idea if you decide to refund in full, if Air still keeps their service fee?

I’ve had people book the wrong island. Pretty stupid, but I’ve done similar stupid things because sometimes booking travel is so fraught and stressful. I just refund them back, following the prompts, although I did wonder for a second whether it would come out of my own pocket. It doesn’t. I explain to the guest that unfortunately the service fee is not refunded. Everything but that gets refunded.

1 Like

I have twice had guests cancel and I kept the cleaning fee. Both times I had already cleaned the guest room in preparation for their arrival. I have the flexible cancellation policy so I only keep the money if the guests cancel within 24 hours of their arrival time. Maybe that’s why Airbnb has not refunded the cleaning fees.