What to give guests on arrival?

I’m going to have to rethink my providing bottled water. I think I could get away with just providing a bucket and some water purification tablets. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Carl_P

That sounds lovely.

Can I ask how much that costs you per guest?

Since most of it does not get used, or all used, each visit, not too much. What is funny that people rave about there being wine there, or this or that… then when they leave, often they haven’t used it. They just like that it was there to start with. Over provide and under promise, or something like that. I give them the kind of place I wish would be provided when I use an Airbnb. I keep learning though as to what to do and have, so it changes.

What it does NOT cost, but pays, is in glowing compliments, 5 star ratings and a good feeling that I have provided a top notch place to stay. Unlike the Airbnb that I am in right now which, while basically adequate, has not had much effort or anything else provided beyond what is absolutely required. Here, Yes, there is A towel in each bathroom (I am solo), but no hand towel, no face cloth. There are ice cube trays, but would have been nice if they had had ICE in them. You get the idea. I suppose, per STAY, I spend between 4-9 bucks on supplies, but I don’t measure. I just do what seems what would be the right thing to have in there.

2 Likes

Ooooh. Here in the US we call that “glamping.” People pay extra for no wi-fi and plumbing. Cold winters with only a wood burner too.

I agree with Carl that providing a bit more seems to pay off in ratings and reviews. Once again I have to give credit to @jaquo in influencing my thinking on this. Although her listing is quite different from mine her idea of providing a bit more to impact the feeling of value, rather than cutting prices, was the way to go. Given that she’d been in the business much longer than I, I decided to try it. Old towels replaced with new fluffy ones, new TP roll for almost every stay, upgraded toiletries rather than dollar store ones, bottles with filtered water, a chocolate on the pillow, fig bar and instant coffee for the morning. My ratings went from 80% 5 star when I began to 98% 5 star. I also remodeled and added a new ensuite bathroom and some other upgrades to the room but I still think the amenites added several precentage points to my rankings.

3 Likes

Carl, I am the same way. I aim for guest comfort.

We have all that! Do you think I should increase my rates? :slight_smile: