What things "get lost" most often?

Shot glasses
Scissors
Can openers
Potato knives

All stuff guests use for having a lunch during their day trip, and forget to return.

1 Like

Way to leave us hangingā€¦

9 Likes

Most of my sharp kitchen knives have been taken and ive had to replace them. Plastic tupperware containers. Towels. Books. Microfibre cleaning cloths from the bathroom dont last more than 2 stays. I even had a woolen quilt stolen onceā€¦i was a bit disappointed about this as i contacted airbnb and they said to follow it up with the guestā€¦who of course denied taking itā€¦but its a bit hard to misplace a big quilt!! Glasses and cutlery.

1 Like

Outside of the normal glasses and occasional towel, we had a huge (like carnival size large) plush Andriod stuffed animal swiped, Xbox controller, multiple chromecast devices (yes, from the back of the TV), and chandelier lamp shade.

1 Like

@Chris: I give upā€¦whatā€™s a potato knife?

This is what we call a potato knife:

1 Like

Okay, thanks. Guess I donā€™t have oneā€¦maybe it was taken. (ha!)

1 Like

Chefs call that a paring knife. Good for turning potatoes which is probably why you call it a potato knife.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve lost the back of the remote control, the mesh filter from the coffee plunger, and a small face cloth.

1 Like

Well I just had my first thing go missing on purpose. The guest swapped one of the umbrellas I provide in the room for a cheap (completely broken) one that they had bought that didnā€™t even last a day. Sadly for them I noticed immediately (basically itā€™s an item I would NEVER buy so I noticed immediately) and of course have submitted my claim via the resolution centre. Disappointed I could have forgiven losing it more but swapping them is just unacceptable. We all know what is ours and what isnā€™t.

2 Likes

Good quality board for slicing cheese
Large (not travel) sewing kit
Knives

Speak for yourself .It all depends where you live really. A nice country town mostly bring nice people- usually mature . But if your close to night clubs you do get trouble-- and often

1 Like

Sorry if the post came out as whining. I was just curious what are the trends, should I replace the things that get lost with high quality items, or just get something at thrift store. One thing that I miss the most is spatula! It was the perfect spatula that I brought over in a hurry, meaning to take it back home when I get another one for our condo, and it was gone. My husband still canā€™t get over it. It was the best spatula of his life :slight_smile:

Knives, forks, spoons, wine openers, shampoo, bug spray. I had to go to Walmart recently and buy their pack of replacement spoons.

Now I just state that all items are inventoried upon checkout and missing items will be charged to the guest.

4 Likes

When I worked in an office spoons constantly walked away. Whatā€™s up with spoon thieves?

3 Likes

This is a great idea!, thank you!

I can only imagine itā€™s accidental. Like they have taken them out of the room for a picnic and lost them or threw them away. I noticed one day a knife from the sped room where I teach was in my lunchbox! I must have used it for some reason and forgot to put it in the sink. Next time I was in the room I returned the knife.

1 Like

Probably not enforceable, but at least makes them aware that you are keeping an eye on your belongings.

1 Like

I can imagine-- but then he has you:)

Iv a new approach to guests although mine are more long term now-/ As a matter of fact yesterday i spent the entire day throwing away pots pans cups plates. Some of it was really good expensive stuff.

I even threw out the garbage kitchen tidy!

My theory being the less i supply t the less s they have to complain about.

At least the kitchen tidy wont be left overflowing for days bringing in cockroaches.

1 Like

What is a kitchen tidy?

1 Like