What special "extras" do you include for your guests? What works and doesn't work?

The key is to search and not browse. The search on this forum is pretty good.

cute idea!!..

very nice, thanks next of my list, walk in shower, was the recess tile difficult to do

No itā€™s not difficult to tile the recessed area.

i bought dispensers on amazon and drilled them into the wall so nothing can be robbed

I just had the opposite experience. I have an autoimmune disorder which requires frequent visits to a dermatologist. I always take lots of samples of lotion and sunscreen with which to stock my guest room. A recent couple of guests used two of the sample sized sunscreens and left the unused portion behind. I told my husband (as a joke) that we now need to tell guests that they are welcome to take anything that comes in sample size with them.

Since there are many threads on this topic, Iā€™ll just comment on your cleaning fee.

CHARGE A CLEANING FEE!!

and charge a reasonable one.

Anyone who disagrees is a moronā€¦ no Iā€™m not kidding.

Thereā€™s a perception on behalf of a guest that is established by the cleaning feeā€¦ Iā€™ll explain:

Having a cleaning fee tells the guest that youā€™re serious about cleaning and having a clean place for them. If the fee is too low, they assume you do a minimal job cleaning. This says 2 things:

1. The place isnā€™t that cleanā€¦ how clean could it possibly get for $10 or $20ā€¦ barely enough to do laundry.
  2. you can make a mess, donā€™t worry, it wasnā€™t that clean to begin with;

I charge $40 for a cleaning fee per room (I pay $50 for the cleaner). Iā€™ll likely raise my price to 50 soon because Iā€™m not particularly interested in subsidising the cleaning costs.

I get a lot of 1 night staysā€¦ they pay the room rate and the cleaning fee and they just donā€™t complain. They appreciate having a clean place to stay and very few leave a mess.

No cleaning fee at all is a terrible ideaā€¦ So someone stays for one night, youā€™re constantly cleaning and spending time and doing laundry and not getting paid for it (worse if youā€™re paying a cleaner).
Too high a cleaning fee, people feel they neednā€™t do any of their own tidying up. The fee should be reasonable and fit the listing.

My whole house cleaning fee is $120. Iā€™ll likely be raising that to $150, but I rarely do a whole house listing since I live here.

$20 is too lowā€¦ you canā€™t do laundry and vacuum and dust and take out the trash and clean the bathroom and make the bed for $20.

1 Like

AGREE!!! I charge $85 for my studioā€¦ there is a kitchen, stove, patio and yard involved, which i clean for EVERY guest the same. ā€¦ whether they stay one night or 21. I think it should be called a room prep or turnover fee. Cleaning fee invites the guests to think of it another way.

1 Like

My daily rate for my guest room and bath is $60-$80. I do the cleaning myself and can do it well in about an hour, not including the time it takes for the washer and dryer to run. Iā€™m afraid to go higher than $25 because itā€™s close to half the cost of the room rental.

For the few times I rent my entire house I charge a $100 cleaning fee, but Iā€™m going to be raising that to $150 for sure. It takes much longer to clean 2 bedrooms and bathrooms.

I donā€™t consider the cleaning of my living, dining room and kitchen to be an extra task for me because I would do that regardless of guests.

Iā€™m so anal about keeping my house neat and tidy (no clutter ever) that itā€™s actually not too much of a hassle to strip the bed, dust and vacuum. Bathroom takes a little longer, but itā€™s usually not a lot of scrubbing. Iā€™m just tired of doing it so frequently between 1 day rentals. Iā€™ve changed my minimum to 2 nights.

1 Like

Next summer (which is really the only time I ever get bookings, and that is fine with me), I will have a 2 day minimum stay also. I did way too many cleanings of my private room/private bath after a Friday reservation for a Saturday reservation! And I have to work my real job some weekends, so I have to block the other day off if I only get a one night reservation on the weekend. Plus, those Saturdays when I donā€™t have to workā€¦I really hated waiting for one guest to leave and the other to check in.

Never had anyone steal anything. But most of my stuff is from Kmart. $2 hat etc. The snacks are about $2, but I appreciate the advice. So far so good. All 5 star reviews, and my place is at the back of a retail store!