What limitations for shared space when rented room is small?

Please, please, please, get this guy out!!,

1 Like

The great thing about STR is if you don’t get along with someone, they don’t stay forever–there’s always an end to your misery. Also, the longer you do it, the easier it is to set limits. Use this man as a learning experience. He’ll be out of your life forever before you know it!

2 Likes

I concur, call Air and tell them this guy is making you extremely uncomfortable asking if you have a BF and making personal comments about your daughter. Your radar is going off, listen to it, don’t try to talk yourself out of what your gut is telling you (“I don’t want to be a jerk” “what if he was just asking out of curiosity” “if I am overreacting”). After this person is out the door and things have settled with daughter’s run-in with the nutcase coworker – a really good thing to read is Gavin de Becker’s book “The Gift of Fear.” He is a security expert and has valuable advice on short-circuiting dangerous situations. Rearranging your things and pushing into your personal space are red flags.

4 Likes

I have a security camera at my front and back door and absolutely love it. I can see when guests come and go, and even see if they lock the door. You might want to get one so you can monitor the comings and goings from afar. Also, be confident when doing the check-in orientation. If you don’t want people sitting in your chair then you need to say it when you are showing guests around. Clearly and firmly set the expectation from the beginning of your interaction regardless of gender. “Here is your shelf in the refrigerator, if you need more room please ask before moving things around.” “This is the living room, you are welcome to sit on the sofa but please don’t use my favorite recliner” “You may use the deck from xtime to xtime” So on and so forth. I have a handbook in the room that reiterates my expectations and once I’ve given my tour and speech I show them the handbook telling them they can re-read everything I just explained. This guy was not a good fit for your rental, and unfortunately, it snowballed into kind of creepy. But, if he was in his own space and not interacting with a host he may be a fine guest.

2 Likes

I agree. I do this too and it saves a world of problems.

I was having trouble with the BBQ. Was a brand new table top. They were leaving it out in the pouring rain. One group of idiots even left the cover open so the rain got in it and mixed with the grease and made a charming sludge for me to clean up. They were the same ones who let the grille get too hot. Smoke was billowing upstairs and I ran down to see what was happening. I asked them to please never leave the BBQ unattended and to always cover it after every use. I kept having to remind them, I asked via text and they didn’t even answer. So now when I show the guests in, I am emphatic about the BBQ and have not had an issue since.

I don’t have cameras. I live here and can pretty easily see what is going on. I never rent while I’m off the island anymore.

1 Like