What Less Than Positive Experiences Have You Had With A Host, As A Guest?

I recently had a scary experience in an Airbnb rental in Los Angeles. I booked a 1 bedroom apartment in downtown LA for a trip to visit family. The place was very nice, well priced and had a free parking space which is a perk in LA. It was hosted by a management group, which I knew, so it was self check-in. The host answered questions quickly by message, so we didn’t really have any problems until Sunday morning at 8am when there was a loud knocking at the door. It was a process server with some kind of warrant. I refused to open the door so he left it. I reported it to the host who said to just leave it on the kitchen counter. We were checking out anyway so I didn’t care. There was a comment in the check in instructions to not mention to anyone we were Airbnb guests. It was a large impersonal building so the subject never came up, but I’m sure it was an illegal rental. Airbnb makes no effort to confirm whether a rental is legal, or not. So next time I will research the laws governing STVR rentals in the area to find out.

2 Likes

Curiously, they do here (Spain).

JF

1 Like

I can’t understand how she could be a Superhost! I have two listings on Airbnb and I bend over backwards to make sure everything is clean and fully stocked with toilet paper, paper towels, bath soap, body wash, laundry soap, dish soap, full supply of cooking utensils, coffee maker, blender, electric kettle, bath towels, beach towels,beach chairs, umbrellas, coolers, snorkel gear, coffee and tea.
I explain exactly how far it is to shopping, restaurants and beaches in my listings.
Still, I sometimes get snarky comments like “nothing within walking distance,”(the shopping center is 1/2 mile away) “didn’t have ‘natural’ cleaning supplies,” (didn’t say I did). Minor, but annoying.
I’ve managed to keep my Superhost status for five straight years, so I guess it’s worth it.
When traveling I also look for places that have a Superhost badge, but I guess that doesn’t always guarantee a great experience.

Oh ya, and there was the time I got cancelled on 20 minutes before check in by a greedy host

RR

2 Likes

I just remembered another experience that was truly bad; I had forgotten it because it was the only situation where we asked to be relocated and get a refund.

We rented an adorable bungalow in Venice, Los Angeles for four nights. When we got there, the place has a heavy smell of smoke. Not like the last guest had smoked there and it had to air out, but the smell in a home of someone who smoked a pack a day in their house for 30 years. It could’ve been a decade-old odor, but it was rough.

We stayed the first night and tried to air it out and woke up with coughs, so we contacted AirBnb and they helped us find another similar place (it was actually across the street). We didn’t ask for a refund for the night we had stayed and tried to make it work, but the nights we cancelled on were refunded.

2 Likes

Hi John, we did exactly this for our stay this March. Unless you have been there before we would strongly caution against this. Fez is a very aggressive and stressful place to stay - and I am from New York! It is worth seeing in a small dose but there are many things to be cautious of.

Feel free to reach out directly - there is also a lot of great info on the tripadvisor community forums.

Try working in Istanbul for twenty years or so :slight_smile:

I think we’ll be fine, seriously.

Such a pity you didn’t enjoy yourself, what did you do find so stressful?

JF

1 Like

The strangest stay I had was in Florida. I wanted an inexpensive place, so I didn’t expect much. Talked to the host on the phone before arriving, and he said the garage door would be open and to park in the garage. He didn’t want his neighbors knowing his business. I wondered if air bnb was allowed there, but didn’t mind as I understand the perspective.

We drive down a dark road to get there and pull in to the garage. The door closes behind us. We notice it is a completely empty garage freshly painted white. My wife starts to think we might get murdered…:joy:

The guy was nice- he was sitting in a dark room watching tv and eating dinner. Said he had to leave overnight and his room mate may or may not be home. The room was clean but definitely bachelor pad. Overall, we got more than we paid for and it was a ‘Memory Maker’ experience.

3 Likes

I agree with you 100%. I do put few toilet papers and paper towels but I will not supply enough for 10 days . Everyone have their own speed with which they go through all the toiletries or detergent or toilet paper . It’s not even a matter of money though it adds up .

1 Like

I agree… I wouldn’t stay in Fez for a week . I have never seen biggest husslers anywhere in a world than in Morrocco. Medina is beautiful but a week …it’s too long. Also you have to draft your luggage as cars don’t go there . Be prepared to be lost and then someone will walk you back for 1$. Fez is very conservative and traditional

Exactly. My properties get 11 to 15 guests at a time. Often for a week. There’s NO WAY I can supply enough toilet paper, knowing how quick some people go through toilet papers. I supply a “starter” pack for each bathroom, so they don’t have to hit the grocery store on the first night of arrival. I see so many hosts that consider toilet paper to be a “necessity”… They must have smaller spaces with less guests I’m guessing…

It’s considered an “essential amenity”.

1 Like

Do you think I should supply “enough” for up to 15 guests for one week?

Clearly it’s up to you but I’m just noting that it’s not that hosts only consider it a “necessity” but that Airbnb specifically considers it an “essential amenity”.

Are you not charging extra for the 15 guests? One week is not a very long stay, I would, personally, expect to have toilet paper provided. Why not just put the costs in your price?

Also, if you have “Essentials” ticked off in your Amenity List, then you are obligated to provide them. A malicious or merely clever guest could call in and complain and possibly get a refund for that kind of amenity discrepancy. I think it’s important that you are aware of that.

2 Likes

I guess at the end of the day, Air BnB has all the power. But in the area where my rental is, not a single property management company provides toilet paper for the entire stay. And there are a LOT of property management companies. I know (from my own friends) that 1 person can use 6 rolls in one day. If I’m going to provide “enough” toilet paper, it would definitely price me out of the market… Not to mention, we all know that when they don’t pay for the toilet paper, they will use more. In the mountains here, septic is a serious issue and using more toilet paper than necessary will increase my expenses by a lot.

1 Like

So not a lot has changed since I stayed both there and in Marrakesh in 1987: and that after a few years living in Bahrain, speaking fluent French and a smattering of Arabic with what I thought/hoped was a fair understanding of the culture.

1 Like

Well, then that sounds normal for your area. As a guest, I’d want that to be made clear to me before I booked, after I booked and in my check-in instructions because it seems unusual to me. I’d expect to pay more for more people and that that was one of the things I’m paying for. However, I totally understand, regional conventions and such. I think it’s the Jersey Shore doesn’t usually provide linens.

But this sounds like a good enough reason to provide the TP. Aren’t you concerned that your guests will by TP that is harder on your septic system? I think I’d like to have control over that.

This hasn’t been my experience, fortunately.

1 Like

Hi John,

Well I gotta say that Istanbul was a dream by comparison. We loved it.

When traveling we usually look for a good “base of operations” to stay for 6-10 days, and can make day / overnight trips to nearby areas as desired. Fez seemed to be good as it is near quite a lot of stuff. Everyone in Fez was surprised or shocked when they found out that we actually booked a full week there - a sign indeed.

There is some darn good food, naturally. It is best to stay very close to the Blue Gate (top of Medina). If you are in the middle, as we were, there’s just a whole lot more bs and stress from all the street vendors who want to be your best friend and all those (sarcastic) “helpful strangers”.

The Fez medina is a near constant harangue from most vendors. The various “helpful strangers” are the worst. One can only rarely stop and start looking at anything (architecture, store, items for sale, etc) before a shopkeeper or stranger starts to be very pushy and aggressive. I am originally from NY and have a pretty thick skin. This got very tiresome after a few days.

My quick rules for Fez are:

1. Never trust anyone who speaks to you in the Medina. All they want is your money. They have no interest in “helping you”.

1 Like

Oh … and there are official taxi rates posted at the Airport. Don’t start off with getting scammed by the guys who want to charge 20-30 euro. The tripadvisor forum is VERY helpful.

Get lots of SMALL bills especially 20 Dirham. They are the most useful.

1 Like

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293733-i9723-k12183697-Taxi_Fare_from_Fes_Airport-Fes_Fes_Boulemane_Region.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g2626635-i33625-Fes_Boulemane_Region.html

1 Like