What is your opinion on guest wanting to book late during the evening for that evening?

I wondering about people’s opinion on this. It seems like I get quite a few people who get hold of me at 8:30 pm or later in the evening to stay that evening. I work so usually I’m trying to head to bed about that time and don’t have my phone connected to my hip to respond. I live out in the country and by the time they get here it could be wee hours of the night and I am waiting up for them. I even had one person snip at me why I didn’t respond with in the hour. This frustrates me a bit. I’m happy to open my open my home up but not sure why people do that so darn late…don’t they realize we have to sleep sometime to?

You can configure your listing not to allow same-day bookings. You can also restrict check in hours. We all want to be accommodating as we can to special requests as long as they are reasonable, but it helps to know them in advance. I do allow same-day bookings, but I am also not shy about declining requests if I get even a hint that someone is going to put me out, or it’s just way too late in the evening and I have to go to work in the morning.

3 Likes

I as a guest booked many time last minute. Emergencies happen all the time. This May I couldn’t leave Rome because of the fire in an airport so it was a last minute booking. In Lisbon I went on s day trip planning after it to take s train to Porto only to find out that there was strike and transportation was not functioning. Many different situations so I don’t judge my guests based on that.
You can definitely limit your check in time . I put mine till 9 pm. These late minute guests usually are overwhelmed with situation as they basically find themselves on s street or they are faced with paying double in a hotel.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replys …I have no problem with the same day booking…guess I need to hit that Decline button and not feel guilty about it …when it’s late.

• List item
1 Like

Yup, you’re in charge! Don’t let them put you out!

I’m okay with it. Self check in procedures can really help in this instance too.
Lock bock on front door with key code access, keys to the room in an envelope on the entry table, etc.

I’ve done this myself, as a guest, and have always really appreciated the hosts who were willing to work with me in a tight spot. Granted it was always someplace in the city, not in the boondocks lol.

Some of my favorite guests are late check-ins. They will pay more for the convenience of finding a place available. If you have a schedule that does not accommodate it, you could just say so in your listing.

I have found the exact opposite. Any time I have had an inquiry last minute, it has always been some annoying person hoping for a ‘last minute deal’ because I am not full yet, as if I am some hotel that expects to fill my bed every night. No thanks. I hate guests that try to bargain with me from the outset, especially if they are expecting me to run around last minute too.

2 Likes

Some of the later nighters are college kids…which I have no problem with.,just them whooping it up in the big city…looking for a place to stay cause it is late and cheap…then come stumbling in.

I guess it makes a difference where you are! Usually it takes planning to be where I am.

I hear you, Sandy. Guests who try to negotiate things are sending a major red flag they’re going to be demanding and difficult. Good reason to decline.

I can’t believe they actually negotiate with you. Haven’t had those kind yet.

Oh yeah. As an example, I was going to start a new thread about this, but i will say it here: a few times, I’ve got inquiries from students asking if I give a student discount. Uh…no. I always respond politely indicating they are welcome to book at the listed price. They never do. Do any hosts actually offer student or other discounts? I’ve just never heard of such a thing. Maybe some youth hostels do (which is what they really should be looking at or couch surfing), but has anyone ever seen a hotel or b&b say “students are 20% off!”?

I also had a guy from Argentina who was a really slow responder (I am talking a week between responses, which is also a red flag, because it means he is a disorganized traveler) who asked if I had an air bed or a couch that his friend could sleep on, because he and his friend didn’t want to share a bed. I said, no. The listing says private room with full-sized bed, which comfortably accommodates two people. I guess there can be cultural differences, but in the USA, when you book rooms online whether it is a hotel a B&b or whatever, the price is what it is (minus any taxes or fees, of course). We don’t barter for more or less than what is advertised. Needless to say he didn’t book. It is very important to stand your ground and say this is what I offer, take it or leave it (in a polite and professional way of course). It’s the ones who try to squeeze extras or discounts out of you that will screw you, I guarantee it.

Very true Jackulas. We’ve also found that when we started out and did give a few people discounts, they were our worst guests, with the highest expectations, and least appreciative, so it wasn’t worth it anyway. So now we don’t do any haggling. The way I deal with it is this. ‘I understand you have a budget. You’ll find there are lots of other airbnb’s in the area that will meet your needs. All the best’. That puts an end to that! You see, it’s not that they don’t have the money (they will come here and spend it on expensive meals and out drinking), it’s just that they don’t want to spend it on our place, and will see if they can bargain us down - and as I said, won’t even appreciate it! Often as soon as I tell them to buzz off and book somewhere cheaper, they book full price, and are properly appreciative of the stay.

I have had noticed a very odd thing. Those that have received discounts or the rooms at lesser prices seem to review less excitedly than those that paid more. I truly feel that when people pay more for an experience, they are invested in enjoying it, and also because we the hosts value it and feel it is worth so much, the visitors believe it is valuable too. As soon as we allow it to be devalued, the attitudes shift, and people treat it like a hostel or as if it isn’t so special.

1 Like

While we’re on this topic of people trying to save a buck. I had a lady from China ( no discrimination here) who booked a room for her and her husband. Sweet couple…they showed up with a BABY which they FORGOT to mention ! I love babies but my house is not set up for children and the room isn’t either. Totally caught me off guard…I was lost for words. I thought that was a little sneaky…not sure if they were trying to save a buck or because my post says nothing about children just adults. Should she of paid for it? I let it slide. My girlfriend had same thing similar it was 2 adults though and they thought they could get away with it…my girlfriend made them pay for the extra person. They did pay .

Woah. A little sneaky? Try outright deceit. Do they not consider their baby a person? It’s ridiculous that people think babies should stay for free. Personally I think with the extra cleaning involved. At least that’s what I heard a long conversation on a forum for long term rental apartments saying. They said if there are children and toddlers, prepare for tomato sauce stains on cushions, sofas, curtains, carpet, all colors of baby food and food of all kinds mashed into everything. My home truly isn’t safe enough for toddlers, and I do not trust adults enough to supervise toddlers one hundred percent of the time while relaxing on their getaway. I used to do it and it was an inconvenience for us, and for our other guests needing a peaceful nights sleep - I also had parents use the bed as a changing station, and ended up with a nicely urine soaked duvet.

If someone arrived at our home with children after booking for only two adults and no indication of a child in tow (who forgets they have a baby??), we would have to turn them away. It would be a bad way to start a stay anyway, feeling completely deceived by our guests. I bet it would be difficult getting support from airbnb too. I can tell you that those guests had tried booking with their child and been turned down by a few places, so instead of taking the time to find family friendly places, they obviously decided to keep it from the host knowing they would be in too much of an awkward spot to turf them out on the street on arrival. I do hope you and your friend left reviews that alerted future hosts to this kind of deceptive behavior. I for one would hate to be put in this position, and you could save future hosts fro, experiencing the same thing :wink:

I put the following in my listing…twice…in the ‘Other Things to Note’ section and in the ‘House Rules’ section.

**** All guests must be age 18 or older. As much as we love children, we are not equipped to accommodate them in our home. This includes newborn babies. We do not make exceptions, so please don’t ask. ****

It’s a CYA, because I do not rent to people with children. There are 10,000 places in L.A. that can accommodate children. My house is not one of them. I made sure this was crystal clear, because I have heard horror stories of people showing up with babies expecting them to be free. I expect that if a dispute were to arise, I should be covered because my listing is very clear. If anyone has any suggestions, i am all ears. :smile:

Thanks Sandy I did make a comment in a kindly way about it on the review back to them and a comment to Airbnb concerning it …when Airbnb ask about their stay.

1 Like

Takes planning to come to Hawaii but some knock it out while they are HERE. I have had same day requests, and will take them if it doesn’t put me out.

I get a lot of two and three nighters as they travel round the island. OK by me.

So even as a newbie, I’ve already had 2 late check-ins due to flight delays out of 4 bookings!! Its pretty inconvenient as I stay with my son when I’m hosting guests, and if I arrive late, I wake the dog who wakes the baby, who wakes Mum, and that wakes my son! So apart from the teenagers, who would sleep through an earthquake, the whole household is disturbed. It’s kind of him to put me up while I’m hosting as it is and I don’t intend to disrupt the household like that again. So I’ve arranged with a friend who will do a ‘meet and greet’ service for a fee, and if my guests don’t arrive before my cut off time, I’ll phone him, even at weekends he insists, and either he or his partner will pitch up and meet the visitors at the airport, and drive them to the apartment. There will be a late check-in fee which I will pass on at cost, and they will have to settle up with my mate much as you would pay a taxi. This will only apply to evening flights, so I’ll put it in the house rules and as long as the clients understand in advance… I expect they will alter their travel plans accordingly!
Here’s hoping!