What if I don't have internet for my guests?

It is in the context of listing things they didn’t like, such as, “run down building, moldy towels, no wifi.”

I know what you mean about disclosed details in reviews. I think guests are doing me a favor if they neutrally mention noise in my listing but leave a 5-star review. Some guests don’t read listings but do read reviews.

2 Likes

Bunny, this is your listing and I’d not offer internet as an amenity because collecting money for overages can be messy (I tried this w/ a property I rented out).

I’d leave the WiFi and Internet boxed unchecked. I would put front and center in your listing description that due to your location, WiFi is not included. And every time you get an inquiry or reservation request, double check to make sure people know WiFi is not available onsite.

The bottom line is you can’t be all things to all people. If it’s not easy to offer it, then just eliminate it from your amenities and focus on all the wonderful things you have to offer: a chance to wind down, spend some time in nature taking walks, relaxing outside w/ a cup of coffee, or inside playing those board games or puzzles you have on hand.

If people don’t like it, then they can stay somewhere else. You’re offering a unique place to stay. Some people will love it (I would!) and for those who can’t go without it, then they’ll find another place to stay.

I was only talking about wifi in the guest house not my main house besides cell phones do not rely on wifi. You can text from anywhere.

For any new rural host stopping by to read this thread: This is false. We have even hosted a 16 year old who recently commented “who needs it when there is so much to do outside there”.

2 Likes

People who live in the country where unlimited internet service is not a “thing”.

The way I “double check” this is to fill out the Wifi information “card” in the host tool, so that every guest receives this immediately after I confirm the booking:

Wifi Network Name: None. You can provide your own mobile hotspot using AT&T service only. No other service to property. Free wi-fi available at [TOWN] Library 1 mile up the road.
Wifi Password: Not applicable

This is in addition to the service limitations being redundantly called out in various sections of the listing. It has never been an issue. Sure, I’m not booking any traveling software architects who need to work while they play. Not trying to book them, either.

Could you please retype that in LARGER FONT, I can’t read what you wrote. :wink:

5 Likes

Yup. Rural America here. I do have Dish but I also still have an antenna.

Here is how:

I instruct them to read the house manual and check in guide and to save them offline before they get too far from a population center.

I provide them a phone number to use for any urgent need to contact us after they checkin, and advise them to maintain all other communications in the app for our mutual protection.

If any communicating is done outside the app (almost never happens), it also gets documented within the app.

1 Like