What if a guest says they came down with COVID while at house

The vast, vast majority who have the virus are not being tested. How would you suggested they go about proving to you that they have it @Josie0811

We are in Australian and my husband is in the medical profession. We have just returned from Japan and my husband was tested today.

1 Like

Ah that’s good @Debthecat in the UK they are only testing health and care staff and those with underlying conditions who have symptoms.

Same here (Spain). Not a policy decision per se, they simply don’t have enough testing kits; or gloves, or masks, or gowns, and so on.

It’s got to the point that local tattoo shops are donating their stocks of gloves and masks.

JF

1 Like

Mind you Idris Elba didn’t seem to have any problem getting tested - seems it’s different if you are rich/.famous :grinning:

2 Likes

I don’t know but was asking a simple question…

The simple answer is there is no proof apart from someone having the test. So I am not sure how you could expect your approach to work @Josie0811

At first blush, and just my 1/4-cents (bc who has 2 cents anymore?), if a guest is sure enough of the diagnosis to tell me they know they have the virus, then they will be expected to prove it. In my eyes, it’s one thing to say that you don’t feel well and suspect you could be sick but quite another to tell someone you know you have [virus, bedbugs, etc] and point to their location as the origin.

It would take some very well thought out wording but I’d venture along the lines of “not wanting to incite panic” and “for the safety of all parties involved, blah blah blah”. I’m sorry that it could offend or invade privacy, but this (to me) is too serious to my neighbors, (older) caretakers and family to just accept blindly.

My perspective is different because in USA limited tests available and almost impossible to prove source of exposure.

1. Empathize with guest.
  2. If shared home isolate them to bedroom & bath.
  3. Assist with food delivery. Wash hands BEFORE and AFTER touching anything. Wear gloves if you’ve got them. (The before is so you aren’t accidentally infecting them with something else)
  4. If they can’t travel to go home, they can extend their stay but be charged. Not free. If you feel like a reduced rate—your choice
  5. For exit cleaning consider a 72 hour wait between check out & cleaning so any germs left on surfaces will naturally die. This is to protect you

Fair “what if” question. It is and probably has already happened

1 Like

I’m reading conflicting things on this. Do you have updated info?.

I’ve now implemented 2 day minimum stays and 2 days before and after all stays. If I get any bookings I may change that too.

The most current information available is that veterinary coronaviruses can stay alive on inanimate objects in ideal conditions (cold and humid) for as long as 28 days. Human coronaviruses can go as long as 9.

Although the studies the authors summarize in this review did not investigate COVID-19, they believe that the results are also likely to be relevant to this latest coronavirus. All the human coronaviruses that the research had investigated seem to be susceptible to the same chemical agents.

Scientists from the Greifswald University Hospital and Ruhr-Universität Bochum, both in Germany, recently compiled information from 22 studies on coronaviruses. Their work helps us understand how long coronaviruses survive on surfaces, and how people may be able to destroy them.

The authors initially compiled the information for inclusion in an upcoming textbook; but … “under the circumstances, the best approach was to publish these verified scientific facts in advance, in order to make all information available at a glance.”

2 Likes

If my guest came down with COVID-19, my first concern would be protection of myself, my family, and other guests. Then I would call Air and ask for direction. I would remind them that this is a listing, not a medical facility. And that they should be removed immediately.

This gives rise to the need for travel insurance - more than ever.

For the 1000th time travel insurance doesn’t cover this.

4 Likes

Mine did. And I will thank you to conduct yourself professionally.

I’ll just use the ignore function. You’re welcome.

Thanks you for your response

1 Like

Article includes link to scientific research article in the New England Journal of Medicine. Information as of 3/11 then 3/17/20 update.

Prior article in this thread is real but released 2/13/20 so this article has more recent information

Depending on surface corona virus can survive 4 hours to max of 3 days

1 Like

“But how long can the new coronavirus linger on surfaces, anyway? The short answer is, we don’t know.”

1 Like

“But how long can the new coronavirus linger on surfaces, anyway? The short answer is, we don’t know. A new analysis found that the virus can remain viable in the air for up to 3 hours, on copper for up to 4 hours, on cardboard up to 24 hours and on plastic and stainless steel up to 72 hours.”

This is in a lab. Conditions outside the lab are highly variable so the results are not as predictable. The good news is on the CDC website, they state likelihood of infection related to surface contact is unlikely. The greatest risk is droplets. Stay 6 feet away from strangers (especially if they are coughing & sneezing)!!!

It’s an interesting question.
But if COVID-19 has an incubation period of ±14 days, then unless the guest has been there for a decent chunk of time, they can’t possibly have got it from your space … so there can’t surely be any liability?
If they are confirmed, then (unless they’re hospitalised) they can’t really travel under most circumstances - so I guess the compassionate and human response is to make an arrangement about the rate, and set them up for online shopping for the duration…
I’m wondering about some German guests who are on their way here (I’m in Cape Town) by road from Botswana. If they get through the border (which is unlikely) and get here, when will they be allowed home?
These are very confusing times.