What has been your experience hosting other hosts?

@cabinhost I better laugh too. I think they should ask hosts if they want the sh thing. For eg. 'congratulations on qualifying for our sh program etc etc, please simply reply to this email to be added to our (useless) sh group. I would opt out as we live in typical old building, no lift, no fancy view , nothing. Our strength is cleaned and location. I am a clean freak and we are in the best area. Otherwise I don’t want guests with over expectations. And now I definitely don’t want the feeking of being declined just because I hold this sh thing.

We had a personal issue (not health, not anything broken in the listing, no death) but a very serious issue that no certificate could prove. We would be unable to host for 1 week, and in that week we had 2 reversations for each room. I asked to cancel them due to the circumstances and we would refund fully. Airbnb said i could cancel and pay the penalties. I had only one free cancel per listing and only if that was a IB booking. If I wanted to cancel I would have to pay 100usd as penalty for each cancellation, and, on the top of that, have the ‘host canceled Bla bla’ review. I would never pay 100per cancellation so I received the guests. Got a big trouble on my personal life, but hey, joys of being a super host!

:weary:

2 Likes

Well, thank God they are finally giving SH’s so many perks, about time. See their latest letter to all Superhosts. I specially like the one new policy that we get paid more than non-SHers. Nice.

Can you post it here please?

I’m with @Rolf. What letter?

I think you all missed the “sarcasm” flag. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

How were you able to create a second account? Is your host account your husband’s?

I’m a SH (got it in April) and haven’t had it really change anything about my hosting experience. Guests and reviews haven’t gotten better or worse. I haven’t tried to book a place since I’ve been a SH, though.

Busted by @Chris! Knew that would get a rise and wake everyone really up in this fine Saturday. . :coffee:

It is in my husband’s and my name (his email). I just had to create one in my name with my email.

Had a fella Irish host and he was lovely, stayed two days, got a lovely review.

Had a french woman message me in french, no worries there as I have some french and google did the rest, gave her all the information she asked for in french. She replied in fluent English. I could not figure out why she did that as she knew as an Irish person English would be easier for me. But then she said I will decide later when I have nothing to do and will inform you of my decision, in the meantime, my days are blocked while herself decides. I checked out her profile and she got into 3 public slanging matches with former guests in reviews, a big no no in my mind. Made my apologies, blocked the day and did not regret my decision.

1 Like

One of our worst guests was a host. She used our listing to operate some sort of massage/Eastern therapy business for a couple days. Ugh. Others have been fine.

Loved your comments. I’ve only hosted one Air host and he was OK but a little uppity. I didn’t have the nerve to look at his star ratings but they must have been ok.

Currently I’ve been having sort of a long back and forth with a host in NY who’s coming to California in October for a few days and use it as a home base, but she won’t nail down the days. But she just wants SOMETHING (her caps). I said fine, just book it and there’s plenty of time to alter or cancel. Then she says she’s still very interested but doesn’t book. I don’t know what she’s up to but I’ve decided I’m going to block those days when and if she does request.

The majority of hosts that have inquired about my place have either suggested we work outside of the Airbnb system or asked for a discount. Go figure.

I’ve been sh for going on two years and never received a letter??? I’m with @Rolf too!

You didn’t get the letter, how Airbnb was going to really take care of us SH’s? LoL

1 Like

One vote for never accepting hosts as guests. All 5 I’ve had were entitled, grabby, messy, and/or left damage and bad reviews. It shocked me the first 3 times, now I’m just riding out the reaervations I’ve already accepted. The WORST are the infrequent hosts who think they “get it” and don’t need amateur things like…saying hello or meeting the person whose home they’re staying in.

i admit it… i did turn someone down who was a super host( and proudly proclaiming it on her inquiry) because i felt the standard she set on her $250 listing was not one i could match on my $60 listing.

1 Like

I hear you. Have had two SHs as guests starting with a certain annoying manner, but fortunately (not that I care that much) when they get to my place they drop their airs.

My only SuperHost experience was an instant booking, with a short message that they would arrive at 2:30AM and of course, that would be fine. Actually, it is not fine, at.all. I am generally asleep at that hour and if I am not, it isn’t because I am waiting to welcome a guest.

She was SHOCKED that this was not okay. She is a SuperHost!

Funny thing? Her listing, an open loft over her living room, has the rule: All guests must be in the loft with lights off by 10pm, except on the weekend when guests may stay away until 11pm. Curfew strictly enforced!

She canceled, and I assume that she had to pay the AirBNB fee. Entitled twenty-something. Dodged a bullet there.

4 Likes

I just had Superhosts check-out and they were really wonderful guests and I think they left a 5 star review (unless the star ratings are delayed and something lower shows up later). This thread had me a bit nervous but they were lovely people and expressed great appreciation for very small things.

4 Likes