What do you use to clean your floors

I don’t but I’m wondering if it would be an option to take the rug outside and use a power washer? That’s how I cleaned my rugs when I had rugs. The key difference for me is that I have a sturdy iron fence I could throw the rug over to clean it and it would dry in one day in the summer, two days in cooler or more humid situations. And I already have a power washer for other household tasks. But I feel that the pressure and volume of water really cleaned rugs in a way that not even a commercial cleaner would not be able to do.

Or put new rugs in the rental and clean the musky ones in the spring.

1 Like

We do have a sturdy fence to hang them on! And I agree that they need to get washed wet.
But not at the end of December in New England when it’s going to be 20 degrees outside unless I want to make rug-sicles :cold_face:

For the same reason, I can’t put them in pile in the yard and burn them :rofl:

However, I suppose we could do a modified wet clean in the basement. I’m trying to keep a couple of weeks before the next tenant for other maintenance anyway.

I appreciate your input and that may work for some listings but it would be a large investment in both time and money to do that with this one (they’re all wool). It’s on the 2nd floor so the rugs are imperative to keep from torturing the 1st-floor tenant with footsteps. And also it’s cold here.

But will consider it in a worst-case scenario. Honestly hadn’t thought of that.

2 Likes

Right. I understand the need for rugs in older multi-floor homes. If I lived in a cold place and could afford it, radiant in floor heating would be my 1st choice. I know real wool rugs are expensive but in a rental that allows pets, I guess I don’t understand the appeal. In any case it seems like two sets of all textiles is necessary.

Gypsy is only 240 sq ft. On my knees and I use windex and a paper towel…

1 Like

Ours are closer to 600 sq ft but that’s also our approach. We get down on our knees with a spray bottle of Murphy’s and use microfiber cloths. And I swear it is faster and more efficient than pushing a mop around with a long stick.

2 Likes

Keugenias knees are compromised so our approach won’t work in her big home!!

3 Likes

On my tile the magic eraser/generic melamine sponge is essential. Since a new one is a nice, bright white it’s always a revelation to see what comes up off a freshly mopped floor.

Yes, that’s why I didn’t mention it earlier ; )

That’s what I do with mine once or twice a year. Power-wash, then wet-vac to suck as much water out as possible. Hang over the railing or chairs to dry.

1 Like

That’s a great idea. I don’t need to do that in summer here but in most places that would be a big help.

yes, we have a bissell, not this “pet” one but it’s the same. we love it.

but for odour removal, hmm. i’d probably sprinkle bicarb and let it sit for a while, then vacuum out. for urine we now use vinegar, water and a drop of detergent (wool mix for a wool carpet), pour it on, gently agitate, let sit for a bit, suck it all up.

this is what we did! our new puppy had managed to wee on 80% of our woollen rug, which was too big a job for the bissell, and it’s one of the knobbly style rugs, not flat, so we took it outside and I used the vinegar/woolwash mix on it, let it sit for a bit, then hosed the whole thing down. it took a few days to dry.

i’ve recently added a squeegee to my mopping routine (at home, not in abbs which get mopped 4 times a week) and it is amazing, it might be that dragging water over the tiles is pulling dirt off the grout, but it always gives me dirty water that I mop up with a cloth.

1 Like