What do you think of this idea?

As a guest, I think the message as proposed would be a little off-putting, as if you would be watching me expecting misbehavior. I agree with a more formally worded message as others have suggested, “By booking, guests agree to follow all house rules. Unauthorized additional guests or visitors will result in immediate cancellation.”

Sorry for the late reply everyone, I was travelling…

Yeah. I have a Ring Camera. In this case, the unauthorised guests arrived at about 5am, so I didn’t know what was going on until I woke up at 7am to see the shocking footage.

Are you saying to put that in an email? Or as part of the house rules?

Absolutely!

Yep! I’m still traumatised by it myself!

:thinking:

So far, none of the reviews mention anything, perhaps because I have such good/constant communication with them that they forget about my mother. But, you’re right. if I see it come up more than once, I’ll need to do something about it.

Yep! They arrived whilst I was asleep and I only saw the footage at 7am, by which time one the nearly-topless girls had been out a couple of times waiting for the drug dealers (don’t ask me how I knew they were drug dealers), the other came out in her panties and bra, and then the drug dealers arrived.

I emailed the Plum Guide straight away and then waited until 8.30am to contact them by phone to discuss it with them before kicking them out. Once discussed, I began the process of calling the guest, telling him he broke the rules and that he had to get out. I later discovered that the guest wan’t even there.

Yep. Absolutely. This was a good first experience of having to be a strong tough host. Next time (God forbid), I’ll be even stronger/tougher.

How does that go for you? Do you still get well-booked?

I did. And he confirmed.

Thanks!

I think this is where i went wrong on this because Airbnb mentions the camera, but Plum Guide does not.

I actually had a gut feeling this would happen at many points before the night of the event. I had it when the booking was made and I had it again when we came to coordinate the check-in. Although my gut-feeling was strong enough to push me to ensure the camera was working (it had stopped working a few days prior) and also prepare my brother to visit the house if needed, there was no solid evidence until the morning after. Fortunately, I had prepared my mother and shared my gut-feeling in advance, so she was mentally ready for all of it. We’ve kept it secret from my dad so far. I think she’s enjoying it! :rofl:

Yeah. I think I’ll make some tweaks to the rules to cost of breaking them.

Thanks again, everyone, for giving me (a new houst) the strength needed to get these people out straight away.

1 Like

Yes I am almost never not occupied.

1 Like

I can totally understand now that I find out they are checking in at 5 am. I don’t think instant book has anything to do with what happened and you should keep using it.

And keep in mind, what works for one person may not work for another. Your listing and mine and Yana’s and Jacquo’s are each very different from one another.

1 Like

Absolutely.

(Note: They didn’t check in at 5am. They checked in at 3pm. It’s the unregistered guests who came back to the house for their after party at 5am.)

1 Like