What do you do when guests show up with a bicycle/guitar etc.?

I love the sound of a stand up bass (and cello too)! And no - this isn’t musical instrument discrimination…

Hell, they could have rehearsals here, as long as they ask and we agree on the times beforehand!

She didn’t play it, she was just moving. I did have one guest ask about rehearsing with her flute during the day which she did. She was coming here once a month to play with the symphony. I loved it and would have loved for her to be a repeat guest but a local member of the symphony offered her a free place.

And the key is that she asked beforehand!
I’d like it too!

1 Like

I have had guests turn up with bicycles and not even ask, they just take them into our studio cottage without a thought. Really!? Do you take your bikes into your own apartment and scuff up the floors and leave marks on the wall?

I hate it when one or two guests doing someth8ng unexpected makes you consider adding new rules. You have to be careful about getting too rule heavy.

If it happens three times, it becomes a rule. For instance, I’ve had divers who think it’s a great idea to drag their salty wetsuit gear through my house and rinse it in the tub… then drag it back out and hang it up. Enough. So it had to become a rule.

You can always send out a pdf document like I do and add it to the guidelines.
Save the online rules for the really big infractions.

I would tell this girl that she played outside of the stated quiet hours, and to please be considerate of other guests in the house and the host.

The guy with the bike was presumptuous. Since it is thief bait I wouldn’t like the fact that he did this. Bringing a bike onto your property without asking.

Are your prices high enough? You are attracting some oddballs.

@konacoconutz,

Thanks so much for this!!! :sun_with_face:

Great idea about the pdf document vs.house rules!!!

You know…I’m going to raise my prices and see what happens! I’m leery of posting my listings here (on the other thread) because I’m afraid of feeling attacked (like I felt on my first post), to be honest. :persevere:

Also, about this guest…she also changed rooms and moved upstairs next to mine for one night - agreed upon when she booked as I have another guest arriving tonight, who’d booked prior to her- and so as I was stripping her bed - I noticed (after being happy that I’ve never had to deal with makeup on bedding/towels etc.)- that she left makeup on the pillowcase, hand towel in the bathroom, a black mark on the wall (from the guitar) and shoved a dirty Kleenex with eye makeup back INTO the full Kleenex box. Good times.

I told her that she can continue to use the downstairs bathroom (as all of her toiletries are there and there’s no room for them in the upstairs one which is small with no counter space) until she checks out tomorrow. Glad I only used the cheap sheets with her (and not my beautiful linen ones that I’d only use for a good friend)!

My crappiest guests are generally caucasian North Americans and she’s no exception. Gah.

I also should have mentioned that my (kind and wonderful) next door neighbour (on the other side of my semi-detached home) is a psychotherapist who has her practice at home during the week. I try to be mindful of this as they’ve never (touch wood) caused any issues or had any problems with my hosting etc.

No way! I wouldn’t let anyone bring their bikes inside - I have beautiful paint on the walls that gets scuffed already and lovely new area rugs in the bedrooms so HELL NO! :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, lots of cyclists do.

2 Likes

I live in a city where almost EVERY resident brings their bicycles inside at night. Really common practice in any urban setting.

1 Like

They really do. Just not in my house! :smiley:

2 Likes

Sometimes members will post their listings publicly here, but I am of the mind that you are making yourself pretty vulnerable. You could grouse about a guest and then unknowingly have that person google your listing and see it posted in the forum… blah blah blah…also… we have had members here who were not too nice (thankfully gone now) and would make trouble once they knew your real name.

Just be careful!

1 Like

Once again - you are SO right!!

In fact I think I’ll revert to my non-photo H as well!

You guys aren’t going to believe this! I don’t even believe it!

I just received this inquiry a few minutes ago:

“Thanks for the fast response!
That sounds great, and yes I have read your add quite thorough.
Concerning the cat… I’m absolutely fine with animals including cats :wink:
I’d have only one more question concerning my bicycle. Is there any possibility to keep it or would I have to park it outside?
Thanks,”

AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! Well at least he asked about it ahead of time!!!

3 Likes

Arrrrgh.

The polite answer is,

Oh dear, I’m sorry. We have no means to accommodate bicycles. Perhaps a listing with indoor bicycle storage would be a better fit.

Decline.

The answer you are really thinking is,

NO, and I don’t want bikes in the yard either so don’t even think of bringing it!

Decline.

How come you don’t get more car- driving guests? :rofl::rofl:

Because this is not America (now I’m singing the David Bowie song in my head)…:grinning:

I did tell him that he can store it between the houses (there’s a locked gate) - that’s no problem. It’s really the presumptuousness when someone doesn’t ask beforehand that gets me.

2 Likes