What do u think? Hot water -- is 104 F not hot enough?

Local code here is maximum temp be 120 due to pediatric & geriatric delicate skin thus easily burned.

My home water heater is in my garage. Like @KKC I adjust mine up in the winter because of cold pipes.

@MissMiami

I just re-read the thread…So your hot water is at 140 not 104 (typos happen to everyone).

No don’t raise your temp. I advocate lowering it to 120-130.

Their concern feels like Obessive Compulsive Disorder afraid of germs. I once had a house-mate who insisted on the hottest showers he could tolerate to get rid of germs. He was not pleased when I explained we naturally have protective/benign bacteria on our skin. When it dies, it gives noxious/infectious bacteria space to grow so we should not over-do personal cleaning with anti-bacterial soaps or super-hot showers.

4 Likes

I would complain too at 104. Code in our area requires at least 120 to 130 at the dishwasher and less than 120 at the shower. You do this with the mixing valve on the shower. However, guests complained the shower temp was not hot enough at 120 so after plumbing inspection I cranked it up to 125.

My showers heat the water as it comes through and the guest can control the temperature. The boiler heats water for the bath and bedroom taps, no idea what temp it is, if it is too hot cold can be added to suit.

104F (40C) coming out of the TAP is too low, 113F (45C) would be the real minimum.

But there is a lot of mixup here between preparation temperatures and tap temperatures.

If hot water is stored in a freshwater boiler, the temperatures of the boiler should be 140F+ (60C+) to prevent legionella bacteria. If a direct system is used temperatures can be set lower.

We try to run our tapwater at 130F (55C) with thermostatic faucets in the showers that have a intermediate safetylimiter on 100F (38C).

1 Like

There was a typo. 20202020

I conducted a little research on my own on this topic this weekend using an on demand water heater, and a claw tooth iron bath tub.

Most North Americans take showers. A setting of 110-112F seems to work.

Many Europeans like baths. The difference is that you have to heat the tub too. And once we get in, we like it to be good and hot.

I set the temperature on the dial to 140F. At t, two inches, by the time it warmed that cold iron tub, it was just right to step in and soak, probably in the 110-115F range.

I also tested temperatures in my own home, which has a hot water tank. It is fine at 130F, and I’ve never had a scalded guest. But i may take it down to 120F for the summer.

Cheers!

Shower/bath water temperature: thank you everyone for your input and guidance. The idea of (a) making a guest’s stay less-than-comfortable (and being penalized by a poor review) and (b) the potential of causing Legionnaire’s Disease (as suggested by one of you), made me take action and immediately install a brand new water heater! And a few weeks ago I replaced the bed frame when one of the guests indicated that the bed was not fully stable…

1 Like

I just had a wooden bed reinforced by a handyman. Planned obsolescence is a PITA. Only £20 though.