What amenity options would you like to see?

Oh, also, I just had a farm for sale across the street (and 3 doors down from the foreclosure I bought this year to fix and rent out STR) opened up two listings last month (one for a whole house 7 BR/5 BA with free horse boarding and a private room listing that is a private suite with no kitchen facilities but private entrance. They listed the private suite at $55 with a $30 cleaning fee so I feel increasing my rate to accommodate the non-refundable option is even more prudent for me now.

FYI, when the 10% discount is applied for non-refundable it does not discount the cleaning fee, just the nightly rate (including any additional person fees).

Lastly, there had been verbiage in another thread about strict allowing the non-refundable option but I did not see that so I think that the article they published with the verbiage was just written wrong.

Definitely more about the sizes of beds! My son is 6’5" tall, and it took forever to find suitable places with large enough beds in Europe for a trip we took a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but you seem to be saying that the “cleaning before checkout” checkbox means that the guest has to clean up before checking out.

I thought it meant that the host offered cleaning during the stay, i.e. before checkout. I wonder which is the correct interpretation?

You’re not the first to disagree with my interpretation! This is one of those spots that could use clarifying language, like they do in other areas. I’d add “Let guests know what cleaning they’ll need to complete before checking out.”

(And then I’d add a separate checkbox for “Additional housekeeping services available (free or for a fee)” to make an option like you’re describing.)

Many of the family cabin rentals that are popular in Michigan have extensive cleaning asks. I really resent having to wake up at an unnatural hour to leave time to wash all the bedding and towels (plus entire house cleaning) before leaving. I’d like to filter those out rather than reading through every listing detail for this info.

2 Likes

It definitely means that the host offers cleaning during the stay. It’s listed under “Amenities” along with other perks such as luggage drop-off. (The guest needing to clean can in no way be interpreted as an Amenity). I know hosts who use it because they will clean every 2 weeks for a longer stay.

1 Like

Ah, I hadn’t thought of it that way! TIL

In that case, I’ll add my nomination without any illusion they already collect this information. :sunglasses:

Add “Guest is required to do cleaning before checkout” to the filters. (And put the details with the house rules. I’ll avoid them like I do “dangerous animals on property”)

2 Likes

I have been wanting “waterfront” for AGES and you’d think that is obvious but nooooooooooo.

2 Likes

I have “waterfront” as an amenity option. I can’t use it but it’s there :wink: It’s under amenities at the bottom under location.

2 Likes

Oh goodness, me too. And to be totally daft, I’d love an option that was ‘great view - ideal for creatives’. I know that sounds weird but we get a lot of painters, photographers, writers and so on. There are actually a lot of guests who are looking for somewhere like that.

1 Like

and @Atlnative

I’m really confused. Waterfront is an amenity option. As is Beachfront. And it is searchable as well.

4 Likes

Thank for the screenshot. It’s added now…for the longest it was not on there and routinely requested by me and others because beachfront was there. yay!

1 Like

I bet guests would like to see “No surveillance devices onsite” as an amenity they could search for. If only hosts could filter out the guests that simply want privacy from the guests with mischievous intentions.

3 Likes

Cats present in home. Dogs are OK but cats are my favorites.

1 Like

Waterfront- you can on Vrbo but on Air you have to use the map.

I’d like to see not just fireplace but wood- burning fireplace.

1 Like

Well it depends where Skai resides I guess. In Australia we regularly have no fire days. I have a whole health and safety routine I go through before anyone is allowed to light the fire pit. Which includes checking if it is authorised. And if I say no it is no. Guests would be turfed out if the resisted my NO.

Then again I live in Australia - hottest continent; that has just lost hundreds of homes, no rain for six months - in some places years, no humidity, and just lost more than 500,000 hectares of forest. Just saying, it depends where someone is.

I will note that on two occasions out of about 5, despite very blunt safety rules, guests have gone to bed and left fire burning. Note this rigmarole is also important for insurance purposes.

2 Likes

Thanks @sarah1 for your input. I live in an area where wind gusts to 40-50 mph/65-80kph are common. Rainfall is less than 10in/25mm per year. Major brush fires are becoming more common.

My personal experience dates back 20 years when a LTR decided to fire up his BBQ grill on the ground floor, a few feet from the house. I noticed it when the flames were visible directly straight out my second story sliding door (hurray liquid starter… 12’ flames).

My home is a wooden structure, I have a life with things to do, places to go so cannot babysit my guests. So, it’s no fires. I know I’ve lost bookings, but I care more about my place burning to the ground because of reckless guests.

3 Likes

Thanks JJD. Gee I am such a silly silly little thing for evan telling my story when there are so many big and important people much smarter than me to comment. Really grateful.

3 Likes

I cannot find this?

Does anyone else see it?

RR

Ok, I found it once I went into edit mode. I am not sure what it means though? Cleaning before checkout. Does that let the guest know it’s on them to clean (my rule), or they will get extra cleanings since it is an amenity ( 1. a desirable or useful feature or facility of a building or place) …

Thoughts?

RR

I think it means that the host offers additional cleanings (maybe for longer term guests?) before checkout, but as there seems to be confusion (i.e. @JJD seems to agree with my reasoning where @Allison_H thinks it means the guest has to clean) on what it means I wouldn’t check it either way.

1 Like