Well now my town wants to shut me down

I think I have link fixed

Increasingly common though. I’d advise getting involved now to try to push for any changes that you and other owners want, before it passes. Once it passes you will probably have some time before it goes into effect to transition to LTR or to sell the property.

2 Likes

This was one of the biggest reasons I bought one 6+ acre property just outside of San Antonio in Bexar County, it’s an unicorporated area with three houses and one 600 sq. ft. studio/efficiency apt. with a loft (my place when I go there). If in the future San Antonio grabs us which will probably happen one day I can move to LTR’s if I have to.

There is a TX law protecting STR’s from the tiny arms of the cities. LOL. Austin had to abandon their regs after it was passed. I hate to be so pessimistic but since I think the climate apocalypse is upon us I’m not too worried about things like future STR regulation.

1 Like

I can’t figure out what LTR and STR stand for.

Long Term Rental and Short Term Rental

Thanks. Must be the late hour for me.

Or the fact that there’s a renegade cricket hiding somewhere in my office, chirping his head off.

2 Likes

The regulation you posted references “rental of an entire dwelling” as well as rooms within a dwelling. This would appear to allow STR of a “whole place” listing as long as it is a single family dwelling that is the owner’s primary residence, which might include a private entrance basement apartment or in-law suit (depending on interpretation and pre-existing zoning regulations), or would allow rental of the entire house when the owner is on vacation or decamped to stay with a friend or family member during the rental period. I agree it is pretty draconian – they’re shutting down use of investment properties and STR subleasing of multi-family properties, including apartments, condos, duplexes, etc. They are preserving the IRS taxable income exemption of rentals under 14 days per year.

1 Like

I have been following this very closely. The fact that they shut the HOA’s down is great stating homeowners had a right to do basically what they want with their own property under the TX constitution. I already have very expensive homes adding the current 9% San Antonio tax to my 1.75% Bexar County tax and 6% State tax will price me out of the STR market on many bookings. It won’t matter that I am 15 minutes from SeaWorld or Lackland Air Force base. That’s my main concern.

Since I fairly new to this concept but know a lot about subleasing, where can I find this information? Fyi, I’m really excited to find this forum. Thank you all for valuable information.

2 Likes

@FishOn16 it’s not clear who you are addressing your question to. It looks like you are replying to the OP about his town. But you could be replying to @LiveOakVineyard asking about Texas.

1 Like

You need to get a pet lizard!

4 Likes

I have several pet lizards :rofl:

5 Likes

Having experienced & still dealing with this first hand, make sure you attend all city meetings and voice your opposition adamantly. Local politicians are typically populists and will give the squeakiest wheel the grease.

Local politicians are typically for sale and will listen to whomever greases their palms. The hotel lobby has more clout than a few Airbnb hosts. I’m not saying don’t do it, actually I posted that they should do it. But the anti Airbnb legislation has a lot more wins than the pro Airbnb host legislation.

Hmm, that’s not what you said earlier this week. You said you were operating legally and that you were at a court hearing where the law (that doesn’t apply to you) was declared unconstitutional.

Yes, but my situation isn’t controlling over everyone else & there are still restrictions I don’t support & actively work to change on a city board.

My city has various & different regulations across multiple zones, like over 25, with various ordinances of which some apply city wide, others specific to just one Zone. Some areas provide for eligible exemptions, others not. The other big issue is the fines as applied to some areas & not others - in addition to the obvious issue of the fines being in conflict with established state law about city level fine limits. Multiple suits are challenging the ordinance from different angles, basis for claiming damages, but this one specific case was narrowed by the judge to address just that one specific question.

I know the Plaintiff personally, who also invited many people to attend in support, announced over a Change.org petition & the local host club FB’s page. I was happy to attend in support of her. She’s lived here since the 80s, owned 5 houses on a street compromised mostly of three other families who also owned multiple properties. They all one by one starting selling off their homes and losing value after their Zone was changed and made illegal - she personally had a prior decade long history of vacation rentals. This is all in the lawsuit. The city took away her property right of revitalizing determination without compensation. Then several years later, two blocks away, the City created a new permissible zone for properties on that street. Yea! This is all really happening.

There is even a level level bill advancing in the Senate that, if passed, will entirely pre-empt all local cities from doing what has happened here.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying.

AHLA is the nation’s largest hotel lobbyist group. Invited & does speak at any city hearing on zoning bills. The city grants the hotel developers endorsed by this group exemptions after exemptions in multiple laws - also a point of contention as they make exemptions for residents extremely onerous bordering impossible with vacation rental registrations.

AHLA presented to my City Commission, by invitation, their self conducted study in which they associate Airbnb with child sex trafficking… yea, no kidding. This is the level of disgusting scapegoating my politicians are willing to conduct to appease their hotel donors. Hence why the State Senate is poised to act.

NATALIE NICHOLS VS CITY OF MIAMI BEACH, FLORIDA ET AL

2018-021933-CA-01

This lawsuit challenges the constitutionality of the City of Miami Beach’s $20,000 fine as it relates to State law.

Also please, if you have resident friends in Miami Beach - please share the petition with them:

Judge issued his ruling today in the case I had previously referenced. The fines applied for violators in restricted Zones have been ruled unconstitutional:

“The Court, pursuant to Chapter 86 of the Florida Statutes, declares City of Miami Beach Ordinances § 142-905(b)(5) and § 142-1111 in conflict with State law, illegal and unenforceable. The City is hereby enjoined from enforcing either of said ordinances.” - Circuit Court Judge Michael Hanzman

2 Likes