The WHOLE story: Well it was bound to happen, my first NIGHTMARE guests!

Ah no, I’d do it all via Airbnb resolution Centre so she can’t do a charge back and you don’t have to stuff around on PayPal

3 Likes

Pretty b*tchy response, considering the over the top nice Air message that I contacted her with. I didn’t hit all the topics on my message to her. I will be hitting all issues via this forum soon. “Just bill me via PayPal with whatever you think is my responsibility” yada yada.

1 Like

No, I would take it to the resolution center, as is the protocol. PayPal will allow her to ignore your request!

1 Like

OK, I figured I’d give just a little time, till I know what cannot be salvaged without BLEACH. Do not really want to bleach egyptian cotton towels. These towels have so far been champs. Even mascara and foundation smears have come right out with regular wash and Oxycclean. I always add this to all laundry loads, personal and guest. Hate to buy the crap towels and just bleach overtime and be done with it, but if this problem persists, that’s what I will go to!

Indeed it does. If what I’m doing, the second step in the second day of cleaning (not pleased about this, with $10 cleaning fee) I will go to hot water/oxy/detergent. Last and final attempt will be hot water and lots of bleach with MORE oxyclean. Im going to charge her for the industrial sized oxy that is almost done.

I know I know, I have to be proactive with Airbnb resolutions. So tired and not in the mood. I know there is a superhost number here that will give me a bit more traction, even if it only entails less hold time.

God, poor Fido, I would have felt like kidnapping him. I mean who forgets their dog :dog:

You may not be able to get away with charging for the Oxiclean because it’s supposed to be used for damages. If I were you, I would spend time looking online for links to replacement towels or the receipts, rather than washing these things. It’s a lost cause.

Charge her full price, go buy replacements and be done. Get this crap out of your life.

Please do NOT use PayPal. She needs to be accountable through the Airbnb system and their process. She will stiff you otherwise and you will lose your chance to recoup your damage.

2 Likes

Well that is true, but they should side with her if she can present evidence and receipts. I just worry if she goes offline this guest will stiff her.

The guest has already proven disrespectful and flaky. On what basis does she trust her to pay via PayPal?

What a time! I’m still wondering about the dog…what did she say about leaving him/her?
Hope you and the dog get along!

I was tempted. I told her about “the situation” leaving out many important bits, then I said, ‘how about you just leave “Cupcake” (the dog) and we’ll call it a wash…JK.’ She said if I was was not JK, that I could have the dog! Moving with her was just too stressful. Ummmmm. I love dogs, just lost my big, beloved German Shepherd mix, RIP, but I was not about to adopt a guest’s dog. It was a very cute low shedding yorki-shitz (or whatever you call it @KKC?) Hopefully piddle free on my very few area rugs.

All my life had a dog(s), owner of several dogs, volunteer foster “mom” for puppy litters or injured and abandoned dogs through the Humane Society where I live. Lots and lots of dog training classes to get these dogs socialized to people and other pets so they are suitable for adoption. Sorry, TMI. I seriously considered rescuing this animal for the dog’s sake. Give your dog up? That’s a real testament to her/their character IMO.

Yes, I could and will, if I’m not timely about it, that’s fine. My big learning lesson. Still finding what they messed with and/or stole. Can’t blame IB for this. I have keyed locks on all non-guest access areas, but for what? More later. I’m still so pissed off I can’t even be rational.

Actually, it’s just the regular CS number you call. If you’re calling from the number registered with your account they will recognize you as a Superhost.

1 Like

I don’t side with the OTA. I just think going to a bunch of trouble to wash and bleach out a batch of ruined towels to try and return them to the guest because she “paid” for them is a big waste of time and energy and will not result in a better review or a good review nor will it avoid a bad review. This is a terrible guest. They are going to leave a bad review. They are being asked to pay for a bunch of towels that they had the intention of just walking away from, among many other things that Ye keeps finding. This stay didn’t turn out happy.

I wouldn’t want to encourage anyone to jump through a bunch of hoops to avoid a bad review—And then get one anyway.

4 Likes

I thank you for all your helpful advice everyone. I keep finding more sh*t from these guests! Two night guests after them seemed lovely, everything fine, but one of them used my white wash cloths (two of them, both Egyptian cotton, mind you) To clean out his “bowl”, as in pot pipe!!! WTF? Grrrr.

More Oxyclean, more scrubbing, This type of oily resin does NOT come out easily. Black, oily. and smelly. ARRRRGH.

Will reply more later with obnoxious details, about first guests/teen girls, should anyone want them. Jesus. I live here! You would think people would think twice about these things.

1 Like

Oh, that just takes the cake. Unbelievable, disrespectful, entitled, pothead snots. Just mind boggling. I know it’s only ruined towels and wash cloths we’re talking about here, but people like these, who think nothing of treating other people and their belongings this way infuriate me. Use a paper towel! Can’t find one? Use some f’ing TP! But no, let’s use a clean fluffy white Egyptian cotton face cloth. The disrespect and contempt that shows makes my blood boil.

5 Likes

Rit Dye - brilliant idea!!! I think I kinda had this in the back of my mind, but you have just given me the go-ahead that I needed!!!

1 Like

I know a lot has already been said but…I would just charge her for the cost of the towels AND YOUR TIME and then wouldn’t waste another minute communicating with her or sending her her stuff.

I rarely mail people their things and only if it’s a small item and they were thoughtful guests. You are not this gal’s mother!

Part of what keeps me sane as an Airbnb host is letting certain bad reviews go (ie, not dwelling on them) AND not wasting additional energy and time communicating with guests who treat me poorly. You need to keep your sanity. Charge her for the towels and your time, clean up, buy new towels, write an honest review and let it go!

4 Likes

Yes, yes, yes, I know. My friends will all tell you this is my biggest flaw…Now I’m being proactive–maybe a little too much. I think I put a group or two of next guests off a little, with my whole “linen” commentary, providing make-up and what-not towels, etc. I get a lot of 1 - 3 nighters, so I’ve been practicing. They were looking at me kinda like, what’s up with this kook? Moderation…It’s a skill! Working on it. (Oh and I am older just turned had a b-day today…errr yesterday. Wiser? not sure.) Wonderful guest tonight. Starting over!

This is my first post ever! Wow. I’ve been hosting for 4 years and have had only one nightmare- and she was tame comparatively. I simply said “you may leave today and I will be refunding your entire stay upon your departure”. I.e. go away and don’t ever enter my consciousness again. Money very well spent. Other misc pains in the neck, but- meh. Quick story: I had one couple who stayed, power was completely out in the area upon arrival, they couldn’t see ANYTHING(it’s in the mountains) walked down the road with my one flashlight to find something open- and literally- walked into a bear(the big, hairy kind). He was very bored by them and wandered off. They woke the next morning and texted me saying this was the best vacation they’ve ever had. Power was still out, but it was sunshiny, the house was “brilliant” (in from across the pond) and they were off for a new adventure for the day. There are many people in this world. Don’t waste your time with the clunkers…

8 Likes

Horrible, horrible experience. I will say that my three experiences renting to local people have not been good. One was someone who said she needed some privacy for her and her boyfriend away from her roommate but, honestly, I’m pretty sure she was getting paid for her time in my place (it’s a separate little house on my property so I didn’t see her “client”).Others were also questionable.
The bad thing about having questionable local clients is that I don’t like them knowing where I live and being familiar with my place.

I had a woman say that she was divorced and desperate for a temporary place to stay and asked for a discount for herself and two dogs. I told her that I, too, am divorced with a very large family and my rental is how I’m hanging on to my regular residence so I did understand how hard things can be it wouldn’t work out for her to stay with me. I did refer her to several great non-profits/ministries in our area that would help her with temporary housing.

Your guests sounded like they were evicted and using your place as a landing pad.

So sorry about your experience!

2 Likes

They finally realized they forgot the dog and came back for her. We got along famously. She said I could have the dog if I wanted, I added this to my original first post. I guess the dog was too much of a nuisance to them while moving. (???)

I hadn’t thought of that. They were probably bad tenants where they were last living. Now they are moving about trashing airbnb properties. She asked me if she could stay another day. Thank goodness I was already booked!

1 Like

I’m just having my first day off since these guests. Airbnb email says “after August 1st you will no longer be able to review this guest”. Well it’s August 1st in my time zone, and I can’t review her? When I click the “write review” button on the email it just takes me to the notifications page. Dang. I guess they mean I have through 7/31 to review.

Just called Airbnb after gathering all my receipts, and documenting issues. Including bringing/leaving the dog and not booking or paying for 3rd guest. They are escalating my case to a Case Manager who will email me. I do have damage deposit of $200 but not sure if it is still held as I’ve waited too long probably…we’ll see.

Anyone have experience about waiting 14 days to contact Air about damages and collecting $$$$?