Welcoming in person, what phrases do you use? What cringey sentence has kept you awake at night?

No I didn’t. This was for @Barns :wink:

1 Like

This is one of those you-can’t-win paradoxes.

If you tell someone (in my case typically a woman), she looks prettier in person,
and the response is ‘You mean I don’t look good in the photos?’,
and if I tell her she has a photogenic face, she goes ‘You mean I don’t look good in reality?’!

1 Like

Yep, I came a cropper there. Bumped into someone on a night out and said, “wow, you look great all done up!”
That was 1997, I still worry that it sounded like she looks dreadful when not on a night out.

I’ve said to many a male friend “wow, you clean up nice.” Seems no offense is taken.

1 Like

I’ve said some truly dopey things to guests, especially in the beginning of our hosting journey. Fortunately, none immediately leap to mind, and I’m not going to tax my brain to recall any. Yay—a positive to getting older and more forgetful! :rofl:

Anyone had a guest with one of those phoney studio glam photos and they turn up looking like they’ve had a lost weekend in Amsterdam?

No but I’ve had a lot of guests, I’d go so far as to say 60%, that don’t look like thier photos at all. That’s one reason I don’t require them to have one.

Out of that 60% some look “better” but most look, subjectively speaking, worse. So I say nothing lest it come out as “Wow, you look like you’ve put on a lot of weight since your picture was taken” or “you certainly haven’t aged well.”

I get that when I make a joke about being carded. What I want is “Oh you don’t look 42!!!” But what I get is “Ma’am, the system makes me scan your license”

No kidding 16 year old Target cashier … Is that how it works?!?

1 Like