Welcoming guests in person vs Self Check In - Will it impact ratings?

I have a guest who reserved a few days ago with a one sentence message: “Hi, looking forward to my stay.” He didn’t reply to my message back about sending check in instructions on the day of travel. He didn’t reply to my message with that information yesterday. I had no idea when he was arriving, why he is here, if he would be driving or flying. He arrived in his car, and went in the room. Still hasn’t messaged me. I’m assuming he doesn’t want to be bothered. If I happen to hear him leaving this morning I may pop my head out the front door and ask if everything was okay. But I really don’t get the feeling he is looking for any kind of interaction.

I’ve hosted 50+ guests with a consistent 5 star rating…and only met one of them in person. I agree with everyone here, it varies by your preference & situation. Having a self check-in system, IMO, allows both the host & the guest a great deal of flexibility. If they need me I am certainly available but currently it’s working just fine to let them do their own thing. Maybe I would have more detailed reviews if I met them but I’m still getting 5 stars without the hassle of scheduling a meet & greet. All the details they need are in the house manual.

View On AirbnbSweet Martha-Comfortable House near Lake Norman

For hosts doing self-check-in at destinations that require city tax collection in cash, how do you collect the city tax?

Hey @travellinbug I work for a company called KeyNest who help Airbnb hosts offer self check-in by holding and handing over keys to guests. In my experience guests actually prefer self check-in as it means they get more flexibility when checking in. It also helps your listing to become business ready! :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks, Ed.

Our ratings and reviews are very high. we do not offer self check-in and never will, as our place will never be “smart”. In the reviews they mention “warm hosting”, and with pleasure from us that’s what they get. Once they arrive and are introduced to the hideaway, they get a couple of texts and a “come say bye” visit. We are onsite @ Tiny Tiki Retro Hideaway.

1 Like