Welcome, Blatant RULES Violators

We have this problem often, I have a larger property and it is self check in. I have cameras on the exterior and try to monitor # of guests coming in and I have busted some trying to cheat add’l guest fees, our standard fee is up to 10 guests, we allow a max of 13 and we are firm on that. We allow up to 2 dogs with a fee and we have made exceptions with additional fees up to 3 dogs. I had a group reservation for 10, and 2 dogs, I noticed a lot more animals at the house at check in so I stopped in to say hello. The group was already drinking so I did not ask anyone to leave, but they had 5 dogs that I allowed to stay but charged $100 per day pet fee, and I also charged an additional $60 per day for the additional people. This guest knew the rules I sent them on her welcome email that specifically states unreported guests or animals could void reservation. I let it fly but they paid $480 for 3 days in fees, she called me the next day and ask if that could be reduced because 2 people and 2 dogs were leaving that day and only were there one day… NOPE, the reservation count is for the entire stay not playing that game sister… you lie you will pay the consequences.

8 Likes

:clap::clap::clap: oh, I am too tired to type out my stories in this vein, but I hear ya! Do Not Lie To Me.

4 Likes

Yikes is right! I just got this in a review “She even let us check in early”

No no no :person_facepalming:

2 Likes

Did you ask they not mention it and they did it anyway or not mention it. You could reply and say “I’m glad we could help you. Other guests should be aware that we never ordinarily allow early check in.”

2 Likes

I had honestly forgotten that we even granted them that, until I saw her review. I marked the calendar for Bill and let it ride and then the review came and surprised me. I’m sure they thought they were being kind in their review … Dang it. Lol!

2 Likes

As a host who’s been hosting for 10 years now, all i can say is that airbnb does attract the worst type of guests (behavior wise, low budget wise, and “thieve like” eg the type that is prone to somehow how get the better of the host: by overcrowding without consent, throwing parties or subletting without consent, lying about the quality only after the stay ended with aim to blackmail hosts into refunding). THIS IS KNOWN. The only reason this happens in homes and NOT in “real hotels” is because Hosts lack a “door man” like Hotels have a receptionist and CCTVs.
So that means, guests will take advantage of Hosts. Not only guests, but also “cowboy travel agents” who buy the nights cheaply and then “re-sell” them at markup by overcrowding/turning places into party venues.

Given all the above:
I’m surprised you have not taken steps to install a CCTV door bell, or CCTV in the hall way and put in place BIOMETRIC entrance locks:

1. you’re entitled to do so (as long as you just disclose it - and mention you need to put monitoring in place to satisfy the insurance policy requirements to avoid getting uninsurable if any overcrowding happens or other illegal use of the place)
  2. these tech machines at your door will warn you about what’s happening, essentially acting like your doorman/receptionist AND to identify WHO has tried to access private spaces (like a bathroom that’s YOURS only). These machines will send you prompts on your mobile (iris scan / pincode based on a per guest basis)
  3. even if a guest breaks your “doorman equipment” > you’ll get a notification on your mobile to go over and check out what’s going on.

In my 10 years of being a host, i can safely say that at least 90% of the guests who stay have something malicious about them (they plan something to somehow coerce you as a host). 90% is a very high percentage. At least half are not even guests themselves, but others like “travel agents” who book posing to be a guest during booking, while in truth, they would re-sell and then send you 4 times as many guests, or guests who expect far more luxury etc (or even a party venue).

Airbnb has become an anonymous platform and it does enable crime.
You need to take action and get your door an electronic doorman. If you don’t, you’ll continue to suffer stress and you will continue being abused by the “market forces” out there trying to make a buck on YOUR property (without investing a dime in real estate themselves).

2 Likes

Nonsense.

Well ok, maybe not complete nonsense because possibly that is your experience. If it is, then if I were you, I’d look to myself rather than the guests as being the issue.

On the other hand, you could simply be trolling to get a reaction by posting your outlandish claim.

JF

7 Likes

Well it is my experience, over 50 residencies in northern europe.
If i WERE happy with the quality of guests, my friend, then i would NOT have needed to install CCTV and biometric access controls in the residences. It has cost me a fortune.
But let me tell you this: not a single overcrowding ever happened since! i am operating within the rules of my real estate property insurance (there is lower risk of overcrowding/ rules breaking with regards to “party venue” illegal use etc).

1 Like

Not only that:
i have an absolute zero level of stress, ever since!

Health wise, it’s great to be in full control of what is going on in your properties, and ability to actually enforce the zoning laws (against illegal partying/overcrowd etc) on " non conforming guests ". I HAVE WON the battle against illegalities by guests. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nailed it … now I have seen it all ! (could not resist) who eliminates these trolls?

Insert laughter here…

If you have this high a percentage of problems, you may need to find another line of business.

Do you even understand what the word biometric means here? Guests are not likely to give us their fingerprints or other biometric information to get in or out of our homes.

I’m imagining my front door looking like something from a bad spy movie, with guests having their eyes scanned and a drop of blood taken before they are allowed in. :joy:

4 Likes

Could you recommend a brand of biometric entrance locks?

Do you use the eyeball one or the fingerprint one? I’ve heard the fingerprint ones are easy to fool. In some cases you just have to put a piece of adhesive tape over the sensor so it re-reads the last fingerprint. Bad hombres probably know that trick.

Do you meet them for eyeball scanning, or do you set them up before a guest arrives? I use the last 4-digits of the phone number, which is easy to come by. How hard is it to get them to send closeup eyeball selfies?

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Ripped-Eyeball-Movie-Quality/dp/B015YSMWTO

Get yourself a few of these?

JF

4 Likes

In the case if the OP’s personal bathroom being used the biometric info of the guest would not be needed. It would just preclude use by other than the OP.

I actually installed one on my personal bedroom in my shared farm house. It is Ultraloq brand. The fingerprint is not super and needs to occasionally be reset for ease of use but it also has the numeric keypad. I have considered putting them on other doors where I have recently installed the TurboLock keypad doorknob locks but they are about 3x expensive.

Wow 90%, you must attract the worst of the worst, what about your 50 listings attracts thieves, partiers and “cowboy hosts”? Or could that 90% number be BS?

RR

2 Likes

Well, that’s clever.

Just put that on a keychain, problem solved. All the security of biometric, all of the inconvenience of a keyed lock.

Now, what sort of fee should I charge for lost eyeballs?

4 Likes

I don’t know if @seenitall is a troll, a vendor, a host itching to post affilitate links or a kind person searching the internet for a place to share the knowledge gained by hosting thousands of criminals and partiers over the last decade. I’ll reserve judgment for now.

Seenitall, if you are looking to sell something you may have landed in the wrong place. Most our members don’t want to be spammed and a half dozen posts across multiple threads all saying virtually the same thing smells like SPAM. However, you’ve already got one well respected member asking for more information on which products you use so you may have hit a gold mine.

One thing for sure, most of the folks here are small scale hosts. We know we have to monitor what guests do and many of us have cameras. Some of us haven’t come close to having 90% problems. I’ve hosted over 700 people and had 3 small problems, no criminals at all. As for an electronic doorman, most of us don’t need to invest in one.

3 Likes

I mentioned and put a picture of our standarized Biometric key locks (iris scan),
They have to agree with these house rules in advance. We don’t even offer normal keys anymore, so there’s no other way to access the residence!!! :slight_smile:

If they disagree: we gladly let them go! and why would they book if they disagree- we wouldn’t even accept them!? they can harass/abuse someone else’s property for all we care hahahahahahahhhh.

Penalties for overcrowding are 80.000euro for each case caught (city council or neighbours calling over police), let alone the redundancy of the insurance (of our building) if ther’s illegal overcrowding. Based on this, a property OWNER has a legal RIGHT to put in place , measures to combat illegalities in his properties.

It’s not about “we can’t do it”. Law jurisprudence (ours anyway) already established: that we can.

Save yourself your breath, i am not selling anything!

I don’t care what kind of security system the OP (or anyone who suffered abuse in his property) puts in his place.
My point is: halleluja to the fact that we live in 2019, and can finally monitor (through whatever machines your choose) what kind of illegalities are taking place at our properties.
There is -finally- no need anymore, to “be coerced” into accepting bad behaving guests, and be left in the dark about: wild parties, groups smoking marijuana right outside the entrance, or overcrowding in the house.
It is OVER!!! the property owner has finally gotten back CONTROL OVER HIS PROPERTY.
Thats all my message is about!!!

Okay great. Please quit posting the same message on multiple threads.

7 Likes