Weirdest thing ever...need advice

As to the sex offender, you arent in danger obviously. 1) A sexual offenders biggest obstacle is his/her loss of anonmyity and 2) Your risk of being offended against is zero.As long as your guests arent young teens (to be honest, even if they were), there is no risk from this type of offender.

To the Op: Your duty to inform has ended and youve done more than enough!

Drug dealers are essentially business people. They aim to cause the least amount of attention or disturbance to an area more than anyone. After all, these weren’t low level street thug, dope slingers. A neighbourhood is actually safer with a mid to high level organized drug trafficker presence, believe it or not.

2 Likes

My point was not that he was/is a sex offender, it was that he was taken in during a drug sweep where 20+ ppl were arrested during the course of the day here in town (the investigation was ongoing with multiple area agencies, for over 6 months). The police could not confirm or deny that there was a drug connection, but did say a few of those 20+ were swept up on an existing warrant which may not involve drugs. The possibility exists that he is involved, and I didn’t disclose, but the police were there just a few days ago, in their driveway, “turning around”. I called the PD to ask why they were driving slowly by the house, and then turned in the driveway. They could not disclose any info.

I do not feel as I’m in any danger, or my guests, so don’t feel the need to disclose to them.

I’m in South Florida where drugs are more plentiful than pelicans. Or possibly even tourists :slight_smile:

So I wouldn’t have mentioned any local drug activity. We’re in a quiet and quite luxurious area but I imagine that doesn’t mean that the place is drug-free by any means. Drugs are everywhere. The news is often announcing that drugs worth $4 million or whatever have been seized by coastguards. If they seize that amount, just think about all the drugs that come into South Florida without being seized.

So it’s not something I’d worry guests with.

1 Like

The chances the two are connected are slim. For all intents and purposes, sexual offenses are solitary crimes. Drugs are social crimes. I would chalk it up to coincidence they were busted within a short period of time of the other. There are undoubtedly many more sexual offenders residing in an area than drug dealers or that people are aware of anyway.

For those of you who might be interested in finding out “the rest of the story” the police finally announced the result of all their work. Here are the details: https://www.thenewscenter.tv/content/news/UPDATE-Names-and-photos-released-for-30-suspects-in-drug-bust-centered-in-Wood-County.html

And K9KarmaCasa, I took your advice and quit disclosing the information to guests. Then, a week later, the guest that booked the listing for Thanksgiving week called me up out of the blue before the information was made public, and asked me about the drug bust. When I said the details weren’t public yet and asked him how he knew about it, he told me his daughter lives across the street from our listing and she told him about it! :grin:

2 Likes

You put a happy face but that would annoy me. Surely his daughter knows just as much about it as you do. Or was it more a comment than a question?

Apparently what his daughter had to say about it got his wife worried and they wanted more information than the daughter had so he called me. Lucky for him I knew more than the daughter about it. I just thought it was funny/ironic that after I quit telling people about it, a guest asked me about it.

1 Like