Weird sexual goings ons

I agree. This is something that can save a child’s/children’s lives and if we don’t say something when something feels wrong, then we’re part of the problem, not the solution.

Better that you contact the police immediately and let them do their jobs. You may be saving more lives than. you could imagine.

Thanks for all your advice and feedback! This is a truly active forum - great!
Best wishes, Christine

1 Like

Sounds dreadful, but can I ask how confident you are that they were minors? Now that I’m 50, 20yr olds seem like 14yr olds.

Also, some Asians are lucky enough to look like they’re 20, well into their 40s, so it can be tricky to accurately guess an age in this situation.

3 Likes

good point! thanks for that!

Just ask for IDs. If you don’t, you should. And if people are related, it should be obvious from the IDs. If they are unrelated, imo you are well within your rights to ask for further information. And if there is anything improper going on, I suspect you may have difficulty getting the IDs in the first place.

Also a passport at least will tell you the age of the concerned parties. Though I suppose not all IDs will.

oooh, I don’t like the sound of that, Muchacho!

1 Like

I am so ashamed of myself. How could I forget social services? I mean, I was responsible for Adult Safeguarding in Islington for years, and elsewhere. Note to self etc etc. I also lectured on safeguarding to NHS staff, repeatedly pounding into their heads that we are all responsible for safeguarding children and vulnerable adults; if the hairs go up on the back of your neck, raise an alert with the relevant social services’ department. You don’t need proof; that their job with the police.

4 Likes

You must make a report to the police! No ifs, ands or buts!

I’m worried this might be an extra role for us? I’m worried we’re over-reacting!
Did the solemn kids have their own room? If so, they may have been happy on their iPads, whilst the mum/aunt/guardian met up with an old flame. Had a couple o’ drinks, had a shag, but didn’t put the condom in the toilet, as sometimes they don’t flush.

But now we’re talking about checking ID’s, and we may as well charge them for DNA tests, to see whose children they are.

I think this thread may have snowballed out of control. :rofl:

1 Like

Usually age of consent means age of consent with another minor. An adult having sex with a minor should be illegal across the board

But what is weird and disconcerting is that she found condoms in the trash bin when it was supposed to be one adult and children.

2 Likes

I don’t see how it’s obvious from IDs that people are related. Also, in the U.S. we are not accustomed to having to show our ID and would be leery of being asked to do so.

I don’t know the law in England or Austria but in all the states in the US, anyone who has reason to suspect anything inappropriate going on has a “duty to report” their suspicion to the police/child protective services. So it’s an extra role for everyone. Obviously some people like teachers, health care professionals, child care providers are going to get more opportunities to do this.

When it comes to protecting children from exploitation and abuse, I don’t think it’s possible to over-react.

4 Likes

At hotel desks we do. But having to show ID at an Air check in would seem pushy.

I realise it’s a good thing to report crimes, I suspect it’s a worldwide thing, we even have a special number to ring the police on.

But I don’t think I’ll be asking guests for all kinds of proof of innocence.

Yes, it is a tuff one.

I had a somewhat similar experience two months ago. I should perhaps preface this by admitting that although I am in my early 50’s, I am still rather naive. I had an instant booking for a two night stay by an older gentleman from Germany who said he was traveling with his 15year old son. The apt they booked has one queen size bed. I responded that I would offer extra linens to make up the sofa bed for the teenage son.
Upon arrival, I saw that the man was maybe in his 60’s, pale skin. He introduced me to his “son” who didn’t make eye contact, just kept looking down at his sneakers. The teen looked like a ragged refugee fleeing through Europe. Dark skin and hair. Definitely not a blood relative.
I was caught off guard, handed them the key to the room. Two days went by. I don’t think they ever left the apt.
After they checked out early in the morning, I entered the apt to begin cleaning. It was horrible. I had to face the harsh reality of what had occurred. It was an absolute mess. Lots of used tissues. Messy bed. Extra linens for sofa bed were untouched.
I am no longer naive. I think this older gentleman found this teen boy who was in need. My eyes have been opened wide to a world I had only heard about on the internet.
Oh, to top it off the German man left me only 4 stars, saying it wasn’t a good value for the money.

Asking for ID and chatting about the relationship between guests is hardly asking for proof of innocence. And let’s not be naive, most minors who are abused are victims of blood relatives. However, the evidence offered in the OP’s description is more than enough to raise questions.

2 Likes

My friend who is an Airbnb host had the exact same experience. the guest managed to communicate with her before he booked (he embedded his phone number in his message with words not all numbers) and requested to see the listing before he booked. My friend is very trusting and called him and gave him her address. Luckily she had a funny feeling about it and asked me to be present. Wow, blond Slavic guy in his 40’s shows up with a very young shy black young boy of about 12 who he introduces as his son. Kid also staring at his sneakers. My friend shows him the space but tells him she won’t take the booking outside of Airbnb as he requested. She never heard from him again.

so did you call the officials and report him? You faced the harsh reality and I hope you took steps to protect that child from the next predator.
I hope you acted for the child.