Weird interaction with "Customer Service"

When I’ve made reservations at inns and boutique hotels, they’ve required my address at reservation time. They also required my husband’s full name and a phone for one of us. Plus car model, year, and sometimes license plate.

I’ve never given it a second thought.

2 Likes

Interestingly, BDC have a setting where the guest must provide their address when booking.

Obviously, they could simply enter a load of old bollox, but in our case we require valid photo ID at check in. For domestic guests this includes their verified address.

Foreigners, we simply scan their passport.

Outside of a home share environment, I really don’t get this obsession some hosts have with running background checks etc on upcoming guests. They wouldn’t get much on me, so I suppose that bombs @muddy and I out for some hosts :rofl:

Any (non home share) host asking me for a whole load of personal information pre stay wouldn’t get much, as in if what I’ve already provided for the OTA isn’t good enough then maybe you’re on the wrong platform.

JF

5 Likes

Curiously, every time I see “OTA,” I think “off-track betting,” and I’ve never bet on anything.

2 Likes

I’ll bet you have :wink:

JF

1 Like

I am new to airbnb and some of the stories scare me. We have not had a bad guest yet, well not compared to this. I know i would give that person a refund and call it a day, safer, i wouldn’t feel safe with a guest like that around. I probably wouldn’t book if the host asked too many personal questions.

2 Likes

We have hosted for more than three years. We are in-home hosts. We’ve never had a bad or scary guest. We’ve never had any guest damage, beyond regular wear-and-tear.

We’ve become friends with many of our guests, and we have lots of repeaters.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if overlooked the update, but what did the supervisor say?

I get it…this isn’t about the address at this point…it’s about (1) you don’t want him to come BUT (2) you don’t want him to get his way/you lose your payout. Battle of the wills.

At this point are you willing to let him go w/ a full or partial refund, no other penalties or calendar blocking for you?

If so, I’d msg him to initiate a cancel via CS and if he does you’ll authorize a 50% refund upfront and refund the remaining 50% if you can rebook for the same or greater amount (less service fees/taxes if applicable).

I tell people “you can use this msg with CS to prove I made this promise”.

Something to think about. Any cons I’m missing with this approach, y’all?

1 Like

90 percent of the time I do not do any searches for my guest. This guy refused to give me the info, gave me two different reasons for his trip and tried the modify reservation to cancel trick. If I’m really worried I run a $25 background check. The funny thing is that I did google him and he got some good social media and has a very good job.

modify reservation to cancel trick - what is this trick you speak of
Thunderlake

1 Like

Guests can request to modify their reservation so that it’s no longer in the cancellation policy and then once modified, they cancel.

2 Likes

Tell them you feel unsafe and ask for a one time COURTESY cancellation. Those exact words. That way you won’t get penalized

2 Likes

After getting 3 different answers from 3 different CS reps, I escalated the case and talked to a supervisor. She offered to cancel the reservation without penalty but disclosed to me discreetly that the guest already acknowledged that he was coming. I decided to roll the dice and leave the reservation. She also put in writing that if he writes a review, Airbnb will remove it. I have a dog who will defend my space and an alarm system. I also have a back door and second driveway on a different street in the back of my house.

1 Like

I’ll bet the Enron guys would have had good social media and a “very good job” before the sh*t hit the fan…

2 Likes

It seems like Brian Chesky, Airbnb CEO, should be notified. His email is brian.chesky@airbnb.com. He also has a Twitter account @nomadicmatt
Good luck!

1 Like