Weird booking request

To each his own. Go spew your venom on another forum.

I think maybe if he’s a bit of a celeb, staying away from a hotel might actually grant him more privacy. Maybe ask him or Air to verify his identity further.

I don’t think that people necessarily choose hotels over Airbnbs. I just had two squash tournament players–pro–who raved about my place. They said they were sick of hotels. It can happen.

I think I we have different rentals. You rent a separate space, I rent out 2 rooms in a house where I live. I was offered the most 600$ a months for a room. I can make these money within 7-8 nights. For me there is no reason to have some one in a house for a whole month for the same money plus In this case there is no chance for me to make more than that. Yes, I clean myself, it’s not that much.

1 Like

There was a period when I was doing a lot of business travel. You can definitely get really sick of hotels. And I think our Air offering is much nicer than any cheap hotel that’s even close to us in price.

But it’s a trade-off: a hotel gives you near total anonymity, plus you can cancel at the last minute without feeling that you’re screwing the host.

One thing to note - any message you write to a host stays in the form - so I have done this - hit ‘contact host’ then ‘enter’ by mistake and sent an old message to a new host - does that make sense? So it’s possible that that was a message he wrote for another booking and sent it to you in error. I have done that.

One of the most memorable and wonderful guests had the weirdest photo and video verify, and she was a terrible communicator. I wanted to cancel her in the worst way. Glad I didn’t, though!!

1 Like

His charity is sponsored by an athletic manufacturing company. 85 is not high on the list.
He is probably paying his own way. I would just have asked did he know who he was talking to in his emails to you. He seems legit to me.

2 Likes

I know this is an old message but … yes sounds weird and high maintenance and I would have said NO. (=

I think you can check if he is a real potential guests or just want to disturb. You have to know where is he from to see if people from this region can real afford the price. Important is to check his background, his jobs, school, university ect. At the same time, you can see if he ever booked a room somewhere else and the review from other hosts and the roomprice are important. This indicate if he has really money for the room…There are many people they ask lots of hosts and try to choose the cheapest. But usually when i see if they are from any poor place i will refuse them at one.

1 Like

Hi @lockmc,

It doesn’t sound like such a weird inquiry. Maybe a little non-standard. But perhaps I’m missing something. Did you eventually reply to him?

Why would you stay in a non-personalized hotel when you can enjoy the comforts of someone-else home. It just another experience for them. Hotels can also be very very lonely and too busy.!!