Week+ stay, changing sheets?

I have several 7-day stays coming up and wonder what people typically do for changing / laundering sheets during a stay? Same guests here all week - would you wash and change the sheets mid-stay? Or leave them on for the duration?

We don’t change mid-stay unless the stay is 10 days or more.

For longer stays I use changing of sheets as an excuse to check on things. I usually let the guests know during check in I will be visiting on x day to change towels and sheets. I message the guests before I let myself in, they are usually out sight seeing during the day.

3 Likes

I tell guests who stay longer than four days that I’m happy to change their sheets if they like. Very few, if any, have taken me up on the offer. We had two delightful gentlemen from England for a two and a half week stay. When I asked them if they would like fresh bed linens they said no, adding that at home they change their sheets monthly if that often. I asked them if they get lucky in the romantic department often.

4 Likes

Sounds like a good idea.
I can now imagine paranoid hosts offering sheets-change for every other day!

Aye why not, a British lass who changes sheets once in two months would drool :smiling_imp:

Ellen – thanks for your note and sharing your experience. I think that’s a great idea – I should offer it and let them tell me their preference.

And so funny about the gentlemen from England – monthly? Yikes !

Nina

Thanks for your suggestion – I think it’s a good idea to check in. I’m onsite (separate building) with the guests so I think I can make the offer and let them tell me if they prefer not. But at the very least I can take away their dirty towels, etc. as that will start to pile up.

Thank you,
Nina

I had a guests staying 3.5 months and I was delivering new linen and towels to them every Monday and collecting the old one.

We offer to change them after 7 nights (if they stay longer than 10 days).

Most guests tell us to give them the linens, and they will do it themselves.

I can assure you that, however nice they were, this sounds like typically English male behaviour. My husband simply wouldn’t notice if the bed wasn’t changed for months, and many friends say the same! I don’t have many long stays but do currently have a channel swimmer staying for a month. We’ve agreed weekly sheets/towels, and a weekly room/bathroom clean. Given the cleaning fee he’s already paid for the end of his stay, he has agreed to pay my housekeeper directly each week.

For a 7 nights plus stay, we change the sheets and do a “room refresh” mid-stay. We’re on the premises and guests always seem to like it. We say in the house manual that we’ll be doing this rather than “offering” it . It seems to make clean-up easier at the end of the stay and I also like to keep an eye on things!

However, we mostly do it because we were used to daily cleaning when we were running a “proper” B&B so it’s quite a luxury for us to only have to do it once a week - I certainly don’t think it’s necessary for every host - perhaps do as Ellen suggests and offer it if people would like it.

1 Like

This is an interesting idea, I hadn’t ever considered it. We occasionally have guests for 1-4 weeks and I tell them that I clean the common areas of the apartment (it’s 2 private room listings in one 2BR/1BA apartment) about once a week but will spot clean on request. We also do not charge a cleaning fee. We discount long-term stays, and I see slightly less frequent cleaning as a reasoning for the discount. It hadn’t occurred to me to use changing the sheets as a way to keep an eye on the room. A few of our longer term guests did leave more of a mess behind than usual, so this might be a good way to prevent that in the future. Thanks for the tip!

I offer the change of linen and towels for the 7+ stays. Many people refuse and want just clean towels. Recently people were mostly accepting the change; I announce to them that I will let myself into their apartment once they’re gone for the sightseeing. I change towels, bed linen, bathroom mats and kitchen rugs if they were used. People seem to really like it when they come back home and someone magically prepared everything while they were gone. :slight_smile: I do not clean during the stay unless people are bringing a pet; in that case, I vacuum the aparment and mop the floors, mostly so that it would be easier for me to clean once they’re gone. :smiley: + guests are superhappy about it.

My unit includes extra sheets & towels plus a full laundry with washer & dryer. Guests of greater than one week, can change their own sheets & wash the linens. My cleaning fee is for exit cleaning only. If the guest wants weekly cleaning, sheet change etc. I give them the contact information for a service. I work full time so taking on the cleaning is not possible. The rental for one week plus is at a very favorable rate compared to an Extended Stay Hotel and that is part of the pre-booking conversation.

1 Like

We are staying for 28 days in koh samui. We are 10 days in and the towels were a bit manly so we asked if we can bring them and the sheets to their office for fresh ones.

They said OK. So we handed them in and saw 3 of the 4 workers /owners.

Came back later and bed was made etc and towels hanging ready to use. Checked our phone and he had sent a second message asking why we had not paid the 300baht/Aussie $12.

Now if it was in the rules, on a sign in the room or even mentioned to us when we asked… No problem. But first we heard was after the fact.

Monthly rates are cheaper as you aren’t cleaning etc every few days, but you gotta expect people to want fresh towels etc and be prepared for it. Last place was similar and they delivered us new sheets and towels every 7 days from our check in, no fee, just part of the service!

This place also has NO RUBBISH REMOVAL! We have to take our rubbish for a drive to dispose of it somewhere… Anywhere.

Hello @Gmdgnate

Are you a host? Just thought I would check as you are new to this host forum and both your posts are about guest related issues?

Hi, yes we are back home but on a 3 month holiday. Have been hosts for over 2 years.

Ah ok :slight_smile:

I’m sure you already know this, but it will normally say in the listing how often they clean the room/change linen/provide towels.

What does it say in the listing? If it doesn’t say for longer term bookings they are provide a weekly change, it’s always wise to check before confirming a booking about additional costs.

You are right though - they should provide information about this.

Cleaning is normally done every seven days rather than couple of days.

I guess if they have given you a good discount for a monthly stay the the assumption is that linen and towel changes are on top.

Which is acceptable if it was mentioned anywhere on airbnb, in the accommodation or when we asked. After the fact is what has miffed me the most.