We will "ruin your reputation" if you don't

@EllenN

You are correct Addresses don’t have commas but other numbers do. You know like $1,200 for a rental or steps goal of 10,000. I’m sure there many addresses with 5 digits but unless I’ve just had coffee, I think my brain stops at 4.

I’ve had this complaint too! At the time I was completely lost for words, just dumbfounded. If only I could have channeled Basil Fawlty at the time:
“Oh goodness yes, I can only apologise. I’ve petitioned to have this disgraceful ancient town demolished many times so that visitors can just drive by in comfort but apparently it’s been designated a World Heritage site. Ridiculous, I know! But what can you do?”

14 Likes

I only have one neighbour (the upstairs separate house to mine) with a revolving door of young people in a share house. Ever since Uber Eats was invented I get drivers ALL NIGHT LONG waking me up with their Uber deliveries as they don’t say ‘upstairs’. They also have’t lifted a finger in the garden I have maintained for 3 years or taken the 6 garbage bins out once in that time (weekly task). I hope my I hope Airbnb guests knock on their door and cause a massive inconvenience to them.

1 Like

Your house is just gorgeous, Spanish-style art deco is my favourite and the US Craftsman style too. I love your pic of the driveway with the arrows with cars, very cool. And your diversity statement is great.

We are having quite a nasty marriage equality survey here as the politicians are too gutless to vote on it themselves even though majority support it and I wish I could paint my fence or driveway like a rainbow like others in the area have but I rent so not possible. Something like this would be nice and help me Air guests find me, also if they don’t support marriage equality then they hopefully won’t stay as I dont want their money.

4 Likes

Five and six digits are common West of the Mississippi. We had seven digits when we lived in Dallas, four in Montana and too many digits to count in a subdivision in NC. Here in New England, we are boring. Three digits is not uncommon, but most houses have only one or two. The younger the state, the longer the potential street numbers. Unusual is not an accurate statement. It is very common in any area with long streets.

Commas a non-starter. No GPS would recognize a comma in the US.

1 Like

As a visiting nurse I have to go to many houses.
What I hate is when numbers increase in ways other than 1,2,3,4. One street has number change in increments of 7.
Some don’t have house numbers! I expressed my difficulties and how they needed to have a house number if they want emergency services, home care etc. They thought I was too demanding!
Or if they have house numbers, there isn’t enough contrast ie gold numbers on pale yellow bricks. Number hidden by bushes, no light on number at night.

1 Like

Hung an extremely kitschy “Welcome to Virginia” garden banner from my lamppost. It features state bird, state flower, Civil War canon, beach and lighthouse with frolicking wild ponies, and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

2 Likes

We have our house number above our porch and on the sidewalk next to our house. Also, clearly anyone who goes to the wrong address has not looked at our listing. Nobody else on our street has landscaping that looks remotely like ours. Our addresses don’t increase/decrease in increments of 2 as they should, but there’s nothing we can do about that. Each time a guest has gone to our neighbors it’s because they transposed numbers in our address when they entered it into their GPS or told their Uber driver. No amount of marking up our house or highlighting our address will prevent them from going to the wrong address if they believe it is the right address.

1 Like

Before I publish the results of my attempt to get this guest’s review, well, reviewed, I’ll mention one point here. The CS said the extortion is unlikely to be taken into account because it was made verbally.

I’ve asked Airbnb in response: how do we get guests to make their threats of abusing the Airbnb system in writing?

6 Likes

What is typically suggested here is to immediately recap all conversations in the message thread on Airbnb. So you message them and say something along the lines of “I’m sending this message in order to have a record of our conversation as you checked out. You told me blah, blah, blah… You have requested a refund which I am not inclined to give due to (insert details here). I also want to make note of your threat to ‘ruin my reputation’ via the review process, etc.” The onus is now on the guest to immediately dispute what you put in the message. If they don’t reply, no, it’s not proof but at least you’ve made a record while your memory of what transpired is fresh.

12 Likes

Indeed. I realized over the last couple of days that I should’ve ‘recorded’ that verbal conversation into the messaging system. I assumed that calling Airbnb to inform that was documentation enough, but it turns out not to be so.

1 Like

Perhaps we should quote the guest in the Airbnb message system. Maybe say “are you saying if I don’t refund you you’ll leave me a bad review”? If they answer you’ll have something in writing. What ya think? @Astaire

3 Likes

That’s roughly what I meant. Essentially, document the verbal conversation. This is something we do routinely in business situations, but in this case the atmosphere was so fraught it didn’t occur to me. Even a neutral-sounding (without writing things like ‘you threatened’) message would’ve been fine.

And after the first discussions on this thread, I decided not to communicate with them at all.

Lesson learned. Next time, someone says something nasty, I’ll document it on Airbnb messaging verbatim. It’s up to them then to deny it.

5 Likes

I understand your “it’s just a joke” comment but would ask you to think about whether it’s useful or just further divides the world. If someone said something about other regions, ethnicities, religions, etc. (maybe yours), what would your perspective be? There are lots of great guests from all of them - and, of course, not-so-great guests from all of them too…

1 Like

Oh lighten up. :grimacing::grimacing::rofl::rofl: I really hate how we can’t even make jokes about anything anymore. I guess we should censor all the late night comedians who make fun of our current political situations!

2 Likes

That’s the whole point. Comments like that are made about all kinds of groups from around the world (especially and repeatedly Chinese guests). I guess it’s an inside joke, only understood by longtime active participants on the forum. I’m not going to stop making jokes just because some people don’t get them.

5 Likes

Disgraceful behavior. Sorry to hear you had to endure such entitled monsters.

5 Likes

Thank you @shashdineecoretreat. I’m grateful for all the support I’ve got on this forum. It would’ve been harder otherwise.

6 Likes

Oh, this makes a lot of sense to me - we’re newbies, started in June, Smart Pricing, so yes, charging pennies. Such a steep learning curve (all of airbnb!), didn’t realize at all until reading this how using Smart Pricing could impact the established airbnb in the area — but how to get around that?

As a white North American, I can say I know exactly what you mean! Except, I’ve found 99% of our Canadian guests have much better manners than my countrymen/women. So, it’s more of the “ugly American” thing, which I feel comfortable saying, as I have been that American, even when I was trying not to be! Loud, brash, unmannerly, looking out for Number 1, “Makin’ 'Merica Grate Ag’in,” blah blah blah — I’ve been working on improving my manners for years, due to the almost unfailing graciousness with which people in other parts of the world treated me as I traveled. Obviously by this response, you’ll see I still have far to go… ;-}

4 Likes