We will "ruin your reputation" if you don't

Whaaat? What was Mr. Creosote???

1 Like

And now your vitriol and spite are completely OTT. Unwarranted and unnecessary.

1 Like

I’m disappointed you didn’t suggest @Astaire says ‘I’m reaching out to you…’

1 Like

As far as I know, that’s not possible, because only guests who actually book and stay can leave a review. Unless there is something that I’m missing.

Channelling any particular femme fatale or perhaps just a generic bad girl? Like Mae West, perhaps. And I hope the smoke is metaphorical. In the 1920s they thought that smoking was cool, though apparently the tobacco companies even back then.

I had not seen that part, still haven’t after reading a description.
Did find this description on the web which is a bit disturbing.
“. He establishes that he does not want any more food. Repeatedly refuses, in fact, when the waiter offers him a complimentary mint. The waiter keeps asking, offering reasons why Mr. Creosote should accept and eat the mint. “But sir, it’s only wafer thin!” and “Just - just one.” Eventually, Mr. Creosote relents, and accepts the mint. The sketch communicates the waiter’s knowledge of what this will do to Mr. Creosote in its portrayal; the waiter runs and ducks for cover behind some of the restaurant’s decorations, just before Mr. Creosote vomits”

I wasn’t saying it is actually possible to leave fake reviews, I meant that some new users may think it is possible and therefore be suspicious if all reviews are glowing.

Well, if it needs to be explained and justified I suppose the humour didn’t work for you :frowning:

1 Like

I certainly hope that this isn’t the case. This is a mighty cynical way to go through life, so maybe this is the case, and these people aren’t the ones booking with me.

As a white North American, I get plenty of Europeans who are just as bad. It’s not a culture thing, it’s a human being thing.

3 Likes

No merde, Matlock. It’s a joke based on a number of recent posts.

1 Like

Sorry, it’s a sore subject… My latest international guests complained about my “slow” electric kettle, the fact that top sheets are “weird,” and even that my microwave displays 12-hour time instead of 24 (for shame!). To top it off, they also whined to me about their American rental car, which was obviously my fault :slight_smile:

5 Likes

And stereotyping any group is a sore subject with me. I like to use sarcastic humor and I realize not everyone is going to get it or have read the 100 threads here over the last few weeks and years stereotyping with exactly those phrases…hence the three winky emoticons.

Edit: and clearly you aren’t stereotyping any particular group just venting about the latest guests.

3 Likes

Now that i’m looking on the non-mobile site I see the winkies. Haven’t been around the site all that much recently and didn’t realize the trend. Sorry, carry on.

2 Likes

Oh dear, some people shouldn’t travel.

2 Likes

I feel our pain! I’ve had;-

The roads are two narrow.
Front door is difficult to find. It’s next to a pub with a similar name which confused me.
That restaurant you recommended; the service was too slow.
We didn’t expect your house to be so old…
The ceilings are too low…
The stairs are too steep
Not suitable for children
Our hire car is too small.
The bathroom is too big…

These from two separate guests. Suffice to say, they were serial complainers of a particular personality, not nationality. Everything above is clearly stated in our House Rules which they hadn’t read.

10 Likes

Anyone who complains about this has some serious psychological/personality issues going on

2 Likes

I am literally the only house on an intersection: other 3 corner options are a cemetery (no guests checking out of there), a plant nursery (no humans there); a car wash (no beds there either). The tram stops at the front door. It’s amazing how many people say, ‘we can’t find you’ and I go outside and they are standing outside 1 of the above. Wow.

I’ve now added a hot pink lace deer head to my door and put photos of every step in the new ‘check in instructions’. Let’s c how this goes

2 Likes

I can somewhat relate. And if they can find it (honestly, you’d think the number on the letterbox would be a big fat giveaway) I nearly always get a phone call or a text ‘we’re here!’ Well knock on the bloody door then!! Drives me mad :joy:

2 Likes

Good luck. We’ve recently had three separate guests who misread our address and knocked on our neighbors’ doors. We have a photo of the outside of our house during the day and one at night in our listing.

Did you know weight gain can be caused by chronic conditions like Hypothyroidism and steroid use to reduce cancer tumor size and chemotherapy side effects?

Weight is a sensitive and painful issue for many so it is probably better not to use it as a negative descriptor.

5 Likes

I’ve found that it’s pointless giving people your home address and asking them to get there. Especially if you live in an apartment complex, but as it turns out from these comments, even solitary houses!

I give guests a landmark next to my building, a public one and ask them to get there and message me when there. I then go out and meet them there to bring them in.

@Emily, if the plant nursery has a clearly visible sign outside it, I might make that the meeting point. Unless you prefer the cemetery for some reason!

I used to be nervous about guests going to any of the other residents’ flats here like in @EllenN 's case, but with this scheme that is pretty much eliminated.