We will "ruin your reputation" if you don't

In New Zealand…

3 Likes

Both cases were clearly documented in the Airbnb message thread.

1. The guy wanted to check in at 10pm (2 hours later than our check in window). He booked a few days in advance. I said no problem, as long as he would absolutely be there by 10pm, I wouldn’t be able to accommodate any later. He said he understood, so I accepted the booking. On the night I got a message at 9.50pm to say he wasn’t actually going to be there until 1am. I said sorry, that’s far too late. He said he would like a refund then. NO WAY! Most of my bookings are last minute, so I absolutely missed out on an alternative booking here. Plus waited in all night for him. Cue the review - I’m a scammer, I’m a liar, I cheated him out of his money by not refunding, blah blah blah. The rep deleted his review because it was clear from our correspondence that it was clear he could arrive no later than 10pm. I only wrote a review for him when I saw he’d written me one. It was quite polite and said something about communication issues. That got removed, but I didn’t really care as I was just so glad to have his gone!

2. I actually can’t remember, this was a guest that stayed though. I’ll go back and see if I can figure out who it was.

Didn’t you manage to get your tropical worms review removed based on a technicality?

I don’t know if they’re easier on us here. I always get through to the Malaysian call centre, and they do seem super nice and eager to please. They’re always very sweet and sympathetic

2 Likes

No. The millipede review stayed. They tried to remove my review of them (as they were messy and left garbage) based on hearsay, but I got it reinstated by adding my brother as a co host. Small victory.

3 Likes

Whoa! @Astaire,

I’m shocked that someone would have the gall to THREATEN you like that - not to mention someone who apparently has nothing but positive reviews. Wonder if they threatened all of the other hosts in order to attain them?
What idiots.

I hope you go ahead and do what @konacoconutz suggest (our wise and lovely voice of reason!) Whereas I’d have told you to go ahead and make voodoo dolls of the nasty guests)!

5 Likes

Thank you always for your kindness @HappyHost. Like @Mike_L said early on, I think this was an indiscretion on their part this time, rather than a recurring pattern. But we’ll never know.

A great many useful points made in this thread I appreciate, and of course the ones from @konacoconutz as well. Hmm, maybe I’ll also make voodoo dolls of these guests, tell me about it!! :smile:

3 Likes

I believe in voodoo dolls too. I have one made of you know who!!! :rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

How do they work? Will it help if I get one?

2 Likes

Er, Whoooooooooo?

3 Likes

Mr. Nasty!!! :poop::poop::poop:. The world’s worst guest!

3 Likes

But I should also get one of Mr. Trump. :rofl::rofl:

10 Likes

Now now, don’t get political.

3 Likes

Does voodoobnb.com qualify to join the list of airbnb alternatives?

1 Like

This is why I like newbies so much. Nothing worse than hosting someone who has just stayed in a plush place with a new host who is charging pennies and raising their arse in the air to get good reviews. :frowning: You can’t win with those people so I tend to be deliberately sarcastic and ever so vaguely hostile (it’s a rare talent) in such situations. Funnily, it seems to work in my favour. Weird but true. A sort of reverse psychology, perhaps, as in “oh please like me! I’m a terribly interesting guest, I really am!”. Met with Mmh, yeeesss.

7 Likes

Lol!

@konacoconutz, @KKC, as far as the voodoo dolls, I like to make mental ones, it makes me feel better sometimes! :dolls:

1 Like

It’s a secret, invite only voodoo lounge!

2 Likes

That’s a real place… the Viper Lounge… oh wait…

2 Likes

Wait - what about Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio - anyone?

3 Likes

Oh god!!! I loved that song!!!

Me too! I’m a HUGE fan of The Police and have always loved Stewart Copeland - who I think did some stuff with Stan Ridgeway…

We are dating ourselves a little bit!!
I saw the police live one time through a work situation and met Stewart backstage.

1 Like